Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Severed Horse Head Found In SLC Park!

Author Topic: Severed Horse Head Found In SLC Park!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the SL Trib article.... I thought eating horse meat was illegel in the U.S.???

Mark

Much like a big-shot Hollywood producer in "The Godfather," some early-rising Kearns residents got a rude awakening Friday. But Salt Lake County authorities don't believe the Corleone family, the Gambinos or even Tony Soprano is responsible.
The severed head of a horse was found on a sidewalk near a neighborhood park at 5600 South and Impressions Drive (5505 West), said Temma Martin, spokeswoman for Salt Lake County Animal Services. A bag containing the animal's internal organs was nearby.
The incident brought to mind the 1972 movie "The Godfather," in which a movie producer finds the head of his prized racehorse on the foot of his bed as a threat from the Corleones after he refuses to give actor Johnny Fontaine a part in a movie.
"We've had a lot of 'Godfather' references today," Martin said.
But authorities believe the head and organs were put there as a prank, not a threat. Its placement indicates it could have been thrown from a car, Martin said.
Investigators do not believe the head indicates a case of animal cruelty, she said. "The horse was probably slaughtered legitimately," since some people who live in the Salt Lake Valley eat horse meat, Martin said. "If it's done humanely, it's not illegal."
Someone likely obtained the head and organs, she said, and decided to play a joke aimed at shocking nearby residents. Authorities are treating it as a case of illegal dumping, not animal cruelty, "unless we receive a call about a decapitated, gutted horse," she said.
The parts were found about 6 a.m. -- early enough for the perpetrators to avoid being seen by most passers-by, Martin said. The head was lying on a parking strip near a sidewalk "like it had been placed there," said Salt Lake County sheriff's Sgt. Jeff Lone. "The horse wasn't talking," Lone said. "Everybody thought [of 'The Godfather']. I thought it was a terrible waste of a horse's head. . . . I can think of a lot of people, I'd like to put it on their bed."
The case isn't a first for Animal Services, Martin said. "We've actually had other cases like this, where we found horse parts. This one is more sinister, because it was intentionally placed in a location where people [could see it]."

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the HELL are the GOOD folks in Utah up to?

fjn [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: