Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Looking for advice on cloning XP systems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking for advice on cloning XP systems
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 05:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be setting up 11 identical high-end graphics systems using XP Pro. I've never tried cloning XP. Anyone have any tips on doing this, particularly given the XP activation issue and the unique 96-bit system identifier that each system has. I haven't done much research yet but I figure someone here has probably done this. A quick look at the MS Knowledge Base shows they want you to use their SysPrep Tool to do this. Ewww!!! [Wink]

Any advice will be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-22-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you have to use sysprep. That means that all of the user information and a bunch of other crap has to be entered into XP the first time it boots. [Mad]

I was going to do this to upsize my hard drive, but found out in the middle of everything that I was going to lose my user info on both the new AND original drives. [Mad] [Mad]

Luckily, I backed up my user directories to another drive on the network and still had my data files. So I ended up just doing a fresh install and used the import-settings-and-files-from-another-computer wizard. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

XP Pro does not require you to "activate" through Microsoft, however.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a way to set up a "standard build" CD that installs XP, and every setting you wish preconfigured a certain way. I created one for my company, and basically, all you have to do is insert the CD, power on, press any key, and come back in a half an hour to a fully configured PC. But the documentation to do that correctly is scattered all over the place, and if you're only setting up 11 PCs, it's probably not worth the trouble to do that.

If they need to be trully identical, I'd suggest starting with one PC, and creating a check list of everything you do to set it up. Then once the checklist is complete, wipe that drive and do it again, this time following the check list. Keep doing that until you polish off the checklist, and you're sure its right, then build the rest of the PCs off that checklist.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume this is all for XP Pro Corporate Edition and not for any of the Retail or OEM versions?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 06:45 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I probably should have mentioned that. I can't speak for others, but in my case, anyway, I'm talking about the XP Pro Corporate/Enterprise edition CD.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-22-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use ZENworks! You know you want to. ZEN is fun.

Otherwise, sysprep and Ghost are your friend. Actually for real fun, use all three.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably going to be the retail version of XP Pro (don't know for sure yet, and I have no control over what they buy).

Turns out someone here has a copy of Ghost 2003, so I'll be exploring that option. Some of the MS tech notes actually recommend using 3rd-party s/w [e.g. Ghost] for cloning XP...

Thanks for the advice.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-22-2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
My first try at cloning to the larger drive was with PowerQuest Drive Image. Didn't work.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Daryl, we use Zenworks, and you're right. It is the way to go.

We install the PC from the CD, and when the users login to NDS, Zen creates a local account for them and logs them into the PC. Novell Rules! Now if we can only get them to create some server side APIs for GroupWise, so I can tie my webapps to it I'd be in heaven.

Ghost is great if you have exactly identical PCs, which we don't. But our CD works on all of them.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 10:23 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave You will want to set up one P/C completely the rest set up all the way down to the Applications that will be common across all of them, then run the Ghost utility and ghost the image onto a slaved Hard Drive. Word of caution though, the Ghost Image will only work in a FAT partition so do not try to save it in a NTFS partition.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FAT Bah! http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

Besides, Ghost broadcasting is more fun anyway.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 12:08 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nifty tool there Daryl. That is another Idea Dave. Do a Ghost Multicast session.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-23-2004 06:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received the first 3 systems today. They have XP Pro, retail edition.

Adam said:
quote:
XP Pro does not require you to "activate" through Microsoft, however.
We customarily buy Dell PCs with XP Pro. The machines come with a Dell-logo XP SP1a CD, which can be used to do a nuke and pave type install (they are not the dreaded image CDs that other manufacturers supply which are the devil's spawn ARE YOU LISTENING HP AND SONY??!!!) If the OS is reinstalled from that Dell CD, it never asks me for the product key, and it doesn't require activation. [Cool] But the retail version of XP seems to require both the product key and activation. [Frown]

Still devising the best way to do the cloning. Now I'm being told all the systems will not necessarily be identical either. [Mad]

Anyway I appreciate everyone's advice.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put my vote in for Ghost.
I use it as a backup method, and knock on wood, hasn't failed me yet. But it has saved my butt a couple of times when HD's crap out.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-23-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's only a difference of video cards, etc. and not main boards, you could install the drivers for all cards on one machine, then run sysprep, then clone the drives via your preferred automagical method.

BTW, my current favourite method of cloning IDE drives is to mirror them with a Promise TX 2000 IDE RAID card (very inexpensive). Not only is it fast, it's resumable. Absolutely awesome for recovering data from failing drives.

I'd steer away from PowerQuest's software for mirroring drives. It's good for resizing partitions, but it's certainly not the leader in cloning.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: