Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do you wear street clothes in the booth? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Do you wear street clothes in the booth?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 09:52 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My company requires me to wear the polo shirt the the Mugs & Movies people wear. I also am required to wear black pants or jeans. Do any of you wear a uniform or can you wear street clothes in the booth?

I assume that I am required to wear a uniform b/c

1) I am not management
2) I have direct contact with customers
3) I also assist downstairs.

Just Wondering.

|  IP: Logged

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

It sounds like your job is giving you the raw end of the deal concerning many different situations from all of the posts you have made.
1.)You don't get paid for screening the quality of the print
2.)An earlier post said that you make somewhere around minimum wage to work the booth and downstairs
3.)Your boss seems to not give you much respect, concerning when you thought you saw an ex-employee in the balcony during a screening, and you went to the booth and she said, "What the hell are you doing up here!"
There are others that reflect that statement from other posts that I cannot recall from the top of my head.

It sounds like they don't treat employees very well at that company guaging from some of your posts. I had been thinking that for a while, just thought I would mention it.

Anyways, at my job we just wear street clothes in the booth (they have to be somewhat respectable, though).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 10:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bitch, Man! At least you don't have to wear day-glow orange plastic bowties and suspenders! [Wink]

I believe in wearing uniforms but not the clown suits they used to make people wear at Cinemark. A solid color polo shirt and your choice of pants is probably one of the best uniform policies I have heard in a long time.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-22-2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All projectionists are known as "Booth Managers", just a different name for Assistant Manager, which for all intents and purposes, they are (payroll issues, etc.); even though no one else is allowed to work the booth. I'm, technically, the Chief Projectionist of the IMAX booth, and I still fall into this exact same category. We all must wear managerial attire: slacks, dress shirt, dress shoes, and tie (and jacket!) with managerial name tag. When in the booth, we're allowed to take the tie off.

In the IMAX booth, we are rightfully forbidden to wear ties, by powers higher than our GM. Still, the dress pants, shirt, and (especially) shoes seem inappropriate for all the bending, reaching, kneeling, etc. (... and then I go into work! [Wink] )

At my old IMAX gig, it was street clothes all the way, as long as they were nice enough. Jeans and a t-shirt: comfortable, practical, and no one ever saw us anyway!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first started at Century El-Con 20 as strictly a projectionist and in a managerial position, we were required to wear the same cheesy outfits as the floor-personnel.

Later on we were directed to wear business suits.

It was hard to do all kinds of mechanical work wearing a damn business suit and tie...ties always got in the way. More often than not, I would become quite dirty from workin on machines, and I usually got strange looks 'cause I looked like a mechanic in a business suit. I kept my machine shop demin work apron in my locker, and made quite use of it!

But there were a few people assigned to the booth that "got-off" on being "GQ". It was funny as hell to see this one person act like a cat exposed to water...lest he get a speck of dirt on himself!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uniforms in the booth are pointless. I could care less if the guy in the booth was wearing a wife-beater and jogging pants, as long as the presentation is A+.

When I worked in the booth, the chain started wanting us to wear the uniforms in the booth. The managers stood up for us and told the DM that this wasn't a popular idea and they abandoned it. But luckily we had some excellent managers and were pretty down to earth.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't bitch, Man! At least you don't have to wear day-glow orange plastic bowties and suspenders!

I believe in wearing uniforms but not the clown suits they used to make people wear at Cinemark. A solid color polo shirt and your choice of pants is probably one of the best uniform policies I have heard in a long time.

I remember those days. [Smile]

Now the kids downstairs get to wear shirts that promote upcoming movies and are changed out every month.

My self I wear a dress shirt and pants and wear a tie whenever I am managing downstairs. I stick to the darker side on the clothes and no tie when running the booth. I am comfortable with that.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think uniforms, especially long sleeves are stupid in booth. I wear a long sleeve shirt and fight all day with keeping it tucked in.

In the booth you should just wear something decent that can get dirty, in other words something cheap. So long as you look presentable while you go downstairs or in my building you have to go across the second level where there are customers to get to other booths.

I would recommend a DARK colored polo shirt and a decent pair of jeans.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre, all managers and assistant managers are required to wear business attire; slacks, dress shirt and tie for guys and blouse, skirt, nice pants, etc for women. Since I am an Hourly Assistant Manager, that means that even though I'm in the booth 75% of my day, I still have to wear nice clothes. It was fun to dress up nice for about 2 weeks, but I got over it quickly.
High heels + working booth= [thumbsdown]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-22-2004 11:26 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but do you have any pictures? [evil]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Sir, I sure do have soem pictures. Just send me an Email. None of my feet though, Wouldnt want it to "leak" into Phil's inbox. [evil]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
slacks, dress shirt and tie for guys and blouse, skirt, nice pants, etc for women.
ah, the good old sexist dress code. screw that. and if you're going to have a dress code, make it something that uniquely identifies staff. and that the company pays for.

carl

Bryan J Arseneau
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 02:27 AM      Profile for Bryan J Arseneau   Email Bryan J Arseneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not try a Lab Coat? Somewhat not fashionable but will still protect your on duty clothes. Not like the old days when you/we had projectionist who ONLY looked after the booth period.
Having worked only the booth all of my life, jeans.t-shirt and great runners are the only way to go

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See also:

What are you wearing

Uniforms

Theatre dress codes

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 12:38 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just the projectionist and not governed by any dress code. I can come to work in sweats if I want, but I dress decent enough to be in public. I wear shorts on hot days, jeans the rest of the time, T-shirts or sweatshirts.

Downstairs the staff wears white shirt-black vest-black pants in cooler months, and nice matching staff polo shirts in warmer months. They look nice, and comfortable, without being forced to wear inefficient monkey suits.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: