Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ian goes to India (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Ian goes to India
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In June, I am traveling to India to visit a former employee who has been in a volunteer program over there for the past 6-months.

I will be flying Singapore Airlines in Business Class. [Cool] I spent every single mile I had in United’s Mileage Plus program for this ticket, which would normally cost $4,400. The flight is stopping is some pretty cool places. The plane will land in Seoul South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore on it’s way to India. Unfortunately I will not be able to spend any time in these places. I’m just passing through. I would love to see all three cities. [Frown]

I’m arriving in Mumbai/Bombay and will be in that city just a day or two. We will then take a 16-hour train trip to Delhi. I’m looking forward to this. The Indian train system is famous as one of the great trips to take. From Delhi we will be taking a 10-day trek in to the Himalayas.

Description of the Trek:

quote:
Markha Valley via Chilling

The Markha valley is by far most one of the most beautiful valleys in Ladakh and a popular destination due to its proximity of its whole circuit to Leh. A varied trek across high passes with tremendous views of the snow capped mountains, gorges, arid landscape dotted with villages with their colorful fields of mustard and barley, make this trip a trekker’s delight to see its countryside as well as meet with the locals thus getting a good cultural insight.

However, on this particular itinerary, we do not take the standard route but begin from the little village of Chilling, the only village where metalwork is done in Ladakh. Spending a night here, we cross the Zanskar River by cable to meet with our horse on the other side meeting up with the popular route at Skiu. At the end of the trek and well acclimatized, we cross the Kongmarula pass at 5200m to descend down a beautiful gorge to Chogdo and the road head at Martselang where we meet with our vehicles, visit the monastery of Hemis and return to Leh.

5200 Meters is 17,060 Feet! [Eek!] I have never been above 14,000 feet and I took the Pikes Peak Cog Railway to get there.

After that, if I am not dead, we will spend a week in and around Delhi visiting places like the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort.

Let’s see what the weather might be in Delhi in July. Discomfort from heat and humidity are said to be extreme with an average low of 80 and an average high of 97 the record low is 72 and the record high is 113. Humidity is between 59% and 75%. Precipitation is 7.10 inches for the month of July with an average of 8 rainy days.

Why you ask would I go to India in the summertime? Well it is the only time that the treks in the Himalayas are accessible. The mountain passes will have just opened up as the snow melts. So if you want to see the Himalayas, you go in the summertime.

My plan is to visit a couple of movie theatres, more if they are air-conditioned. I will try to photograph for Cinematour.

Do any of the forum members from India have any tips? Do you have any recommendations on theatres to visit? Are there must see things having to do with cinema in either Bombay or Delhi?

A couple of months ago I challenged the Theatre Dorks over at Cinematour to an International Cinema Tour. They politely declined and said that their interests lie in these United States at the moment. Well the gauntlet is thrown; top this. [Big Grin]

I challenge Brad, Adam, Scott and Joe to travel to strange lands, eat weird food, suffer heat and humidity, cold and frost, swat at really large bugs and live a truly international cinema experience. [Razz]

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-23-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy your trip, and good luck with your diet. [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy the trip if you gt a chance visit the Prassad Film complex

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-24-2004 06:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Price
I challenge Brad, Adam, Scott and Joe to travel to strange lands, eat weird food, suffer heat and humidity, cold and frost, swat at really large bugs and live a truly international cinema experience.
No thanks. You win.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

Namaste & Asalam Alekum!

I traveled 3 months in India, Kashmir and Nepal during the summer. Bombay and Calcutta during the monsoon were especially hard to take, but the central hhiger plateau regions were drier and the food was delicious! And the sunsets are amazing.

Everyone likes to be helpful, and "I give you good guidance"
was a very common expression. Watch out for the middlemen who insert themselves in every transaction and can ruin productive deals.

Train rides are interminable, but there's lots of time for a biography of Gandhi or the Bhagavad Gita.

Have a wonderful trip!

Gerard

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 09:39 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, what type of volunteer program did your former employee do? i have been looking on the net for over sea jobs, but most places require you to be student or just finish college. if anyone can give me some info on any programs i would greatly appreciate it.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-24-2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner has been to India and we hope to visit soon. In Mumbai you have the Gateway to India arch next to the Taj Mahal hotel which is worth a visit, many sites in this city of 12 million...you will have to get used to the mass of humanity living in the streets....Monkeys in New Delhi....it is recommended to take a private car from New Delhi to the Taj Mahal since that train link is extremely conjested. My partner came back from that trip a changed person...but then again he landed in Mumbai on infamous September 11.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 01:59 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I thought you were insane when i read that you chose June to travel to India. But then your explanation of the accessibility of the Himalayas changed my mind.

I have been to India only twice in the last 15 years. So my info is sketchy. And most of the cities i have been to are in South India(hyderabad to Madras/Chennai). I have been to Delhi once a long time ago. You do need to check out Agra for sure(2 hours from Delhi). I would do that at the end of your trip when it cools down a tad.

As far as hotels, depends on your budgets. You can get 3 star hotels for decent rates when you covert to dollars. If your employee has been there for months, then i am sure he has local friends to help you not get scammed.

Movie theaters should be easy. Just ask the locals which are the most impressive cinemas. It will be common knowledge.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2004 10:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian Said.....
" I challenge Brad, Adam, Scott and Joe to travel to strange lands, eat weird food, suffer heat and humidity, cold and frost, swat at really large bugs and live a truly international cinema experience."

Ian... Texas definately qualifies in all those aspects so its actually a tie.

Gord,
Was that the Passgas Film Complex that you mentioned?

While I had a day off here in Billings I went to the local Borders book store and read some chapters out of an interesting book called "The Blackbox" I seem to remember reading an interesting chapter in which the pilots of a Singapore Airlines Jet were not able to determine which way was up or which was down as all the planes instruments had died....... The plane later plunged into the sea while the pilots argued if the fuel pump boost switch was on or off for engine #2. Other interesting chapters were the Valuejet crash and the Delta crash at Fort Worth.
Anyone that has not read this book will find the many chapters of voice cockpit transcripts in it quite riviting,!! After reading that Singapore Airlines chapter in which the plane plunged into the sea while the pilots argued about some inconsequential thing would cause me to seriously consider taking a boat to India.

Be sure to visit the Cinecitta factory....

Mark

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-26-2004 10:44 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Ian... Texas definately qualifies in all those aspects so its actually a tie.
I was thinking the same thing. We have everything we need right here. [thumbsup]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-26-2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monee projector factory is in Bangladore [Smile]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen was the last to post
I challenge Brad, Adam, Scott and Joe to travel to strange lands, eat weird food, suffer heat and humidity, cold and frost, swat at really large bugs and live a truly international cinema experience.
I know!!! I've been trying and trying to get them to come to Florida for years! [Razz]

Tell them it's not as bad, and I'm not as scary as I seem. [Smile]

=TMP=

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-26-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, you can also hook up Kamakshipalya Dhananjay with a pair of tickets for a Century theatre in Tuscon, and hand-deliver them! [evil]

Have a nice trip...

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-27-2004 04:03 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Procyk
...and I'm not as scary as I seem.
Yes you are!

>>> Phil

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay lives in Bangalore, which is in the south of India. I will be traveling in the North of India. He can order his own damn tickets.

Mark,

Singapore Airlines is consistently rated as one of the top airlines in the world. So the good news is that I will have been pampered and well taken care of before the plane plummets in to the sea. [Big Grin] Of course if the plane is going to plummet in to the sea, what the hell am I doing on this diet? [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: