Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Geico or Not? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Geico or Not?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-24-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is that Geico can save me 325.00 per year on my auto insurance!

-

I know this sounds like the ad on TV but it is true. Anyone here use this company or have any positive or negative experiences with them? This savings is with more coverage to boot. They were this much less than Farmers Insurance... Thanks for any input.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-24-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, that is probably true.

But, I get a *MUCH* better rate for auto insurance and home-owners insurance since I have both from the same company... it's a multi-policy thingy so the savings are astronomical. (Also, being in southern California, I also have earthquake insurance as well as $1mil liability.) (Those GD lawyers
!) [Smile]

If I were a renter, then I would shop for most cost effective auto policy.

BTW: I have *ALWAYS* found Farmers and State Farm to be soooo over-priced it isn't even funny!

>>> Phil

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you sign on, check www.esurance.com they got me a great rate. Under $90.00/car (2000 Dakota, 1998 Intrigue) full coverage for a 22 yr old Male and a 23 year old female. This may not sound like a great rate but was less than 1/2 of what any local company quoted me. My wife has an insurance claim and a speeding ticket on her record, mine is clean.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be less concerned with what you pay in premium and more concerned with how well the company pays first-party claims.

Most auto (as well as other insurance) policies have two parts: third party or what are called liability claims (if someone is suing you claiming it is your fault) and first party claims (anytime that your own company pays you for your own losses whether it is for your own medical bills, property losses, damage to your own car, damage to your property, loss of rental income, theft of your tools, cost of rental car etc.)

Now personally I don't care if my insurance company never pays the shmucuk who is suing me or claiming against me - the company can dance him around forever.

But if its my own car that needs fixing or my medical bills that need paid for my own injuries in a car accident so the doctor will still continue to treat me (or any first party claim for that matter -whether home or business or whatever) then I don't wan't them playing games with me. If a tree falls on my house and damages the roof, then I need it fixed pronto. Write me the check ASAP - that's the mark of a good first party insurance carrier.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 12:18 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing about GEICO is that if they find out you own a radar detector, they will drop you faster than a nuclear potato (or just not write you a policy if they find out up front). Their opinion on the devices is that, as their vice chairman has said, "radar detectors give people the excuse to speed." GEICO is also known to donate radar guns to law enforcement agencies around the country as a way to help keep a lid on insurance costs through speed enforcement. (BTW, I do not own a radar detector, have never been cited for speeding, and have no opinion on the legitimacy of radar detectors. Whenever someone mentions GEICO, their hard-line radar-detector policy is the first thing that comes to my mind, having heard about it a long time ago.)

Here's a link I found on how your lifestyle and record may affect your policy: How to Answer When The Inquisition Starts.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 06:41 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a quote from Geico yesterday. I had dropped a car from my insurance because I got rid of the car. I was now down to 2 cars. My present insurance company Allstate gave me a new price which actually saved me very little considering I had dropped a car. I thought it was way too high.

So, I got a quote from Geico for approximately equivalent coverage, after hearing all the ads about how much Geico could save me. Their quote was almost $400.00 HIGHER than Allstate. I then went to Progressive Insurance and got a quote. It was almost $200.00 LESS than my present insurance.

I am still looking for new and cheaper insurance, but in comparison, Allstate isn't doing too badly pricewise.

Of course, good customer service has to be factored in. The last thing you need from an insurance company is a hard time when you have a claim.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-25-2004 07:49 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, my younger daughter was rammed on the driver's side by another car running a red light. Unfortunately, no witnesses came forth, and it was going to be settled "no fault" by our company because they couldn't determine who really had the green light. It would have likely meant a rate increase for me.

The other driver's insurance company was AMICA, and they took it upon themselves to do further investigation, and THEY found their driver had run the red light, and took 100% responsibility for the settlement. AMICA was very good in settling the claim quickly (full book value for my car, daughter's rehab for whiplash).

But when I tried to switch my insurance to AMICA, they did not accept my application because of a 3-year old speeding ticket that I had on my record. So if you have a PERFECT driving record, AMICA had good customer service. But if not, you probably won't qualify.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 08:17 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have AMICA and they are a VERY good insurance company. I was rear-ended about a year ago and my SUV was fixed and returned to me in less then one week!! Everything was settled in that one week. At one time, you had to have a "sponsor" in order to get insurance from them, at that time, my Aunt worked for them. I'm not sure how it works now though.

Paul Goulet

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 08:55 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on GEICO, and have had no problems. On the other hand, I have had no accidents, so I have no idea what would happen if I did. But their emergency assistance is nice to have. I get a discount through my professional organization, so you might want to check and see if you belong to any groups that have a special rate. (Somehow, I suspect I'm the only member of MENC on here)

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to sign up with Geico once, oddly enough, they serve every state including Alaska and Hawaii, but for some reason, they don't serve Massachusetts or New Jersey. I just happen to live in Massachusetts, and at one point I was actually considering moving to New Jersey.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-25-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All in all, I think GEICO is a very good company. Presently I am with Allstate. When I was looking for a better rate. I found a better rate with GEICO, and when I took the quote to my Allstate agent, he matched it.

They all have a little "finaggling" room...

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have progressive they are nice, got in a accident, dam women ran a red light. The guy from progressive came out to the accident and wrote me a check write there. Only thing i dont like about them they have certin places were you can only get your car fixed at. My dad works for car dealer ship and always got the hook up on things that need to be done.
As for allstate they were way way over price for me me, but was the other way around with a freind of mine.

Kyle

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once when my State Farm agent retired and his replacement raised my premium, I switched to GEICO, thinking it was started by government workers, and therefore, having a large base of insured with permanent positions, would be cheaper and provide good service. Actually, of course it has no connection whatever with government or civil service workers, though I suppose many others have been fooled by the name.

But when I returned from cycling through Europe, I found a notice canceling my insurance for non-payment of a single premium, the bill for which was delivered in my absence.

For the past several years my family have had our cars, home and office insured by a comprehensive pooled contract with a local firm three blocks from my house. The owner claimed he worked with nine companies, which enabled him to give us the most favorable coverage at affordable rates.

But when he moved East to more upscale suburbs, our rates rose drastically. An agent popped into our office, took an establishing shot of the reception area, after which our premiums
went sky high, and the policy included many unwanted coverage clauses. We negotiated a decrease, but are searching for a better deal with another broker.

The A.A.R.P. advertizes fair rates, but they do not have comprehensive coverage for cars, home and office. So we're still open to suggestions.

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 06:13 PM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suprisingly State Farm is the cheapest for me in Utah I got quotes from just about every other agency. After sitting down with my state farm agent we worked out abunch of discounts "multiline" "multicar" "steerclear" were the ones I belive. For a male under 25 on his own it was by far the best bang for the buck. and they been the nicest too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2004 06:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this site which is intereating.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/car.html
Seems like GEICO and State Farm have the most complaints on this site.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: