Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fahrenheit 911: Bootlegging as a political tool

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 911: Bootlegging as a political tool
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2004 01:03 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl needs to excrete some code to stopwatch how long it takes for a thread to get locked.

E!Online story on Yahoo

--

Playing "Fahrenheit"?
Thu Jul 1, 7:45 PM ET
By Joal Ryan

For once, perhaps, Jim Kenefick has taken Michael Moore at his word.

Armed with a Moore sound bite in which the Oscar-winning gadfly says he doesn't "have a problem with people downloading" his movies, Kenefick is doing as the man says--and encouraging Netizens to download the filmmaker's latest incendiary device, Fahrenheit 9/11.

"Clearly, we have an agenda," Kenefick, who co-runs the anti-Moore site, Moorewatch.com, said Thursday. "We want people to watch it. Let's face it: I don't mind being a bee in his bonnet."

On Sunday, an off-site link to a bootlegged copy of Moore's hit documentary went up on Moorewatch.com, which is "dedicated to unearthing the truth behind the doublespeak and falsehood that spews from the mouth...of Michael Moore on a regular basis."

Four server-crashing days later, the link is still there (if you can get to the page--it's found under a June 27 posted titled "Steal This Movie"). Moore's distributor is still fuming, and Kenefick is still unbowed.

"I absolutely, positively will not cave to a fancy lawyer threat," Kenefick said.

Not that he has heard from any lawyers. As of Thursday noon, Kenefick said he hadn't been contacted by reps for Moore or Lions Gate Films, which partnered with IFC to pick up the Disney-dumped Fahrenheit. The President Bush (news - web sites)-bashing film grossed $23.9 million last weekend, a record for a documentary.

In the Hollywood Reporter, Lions Gate president Tom Ortenberg talked "legal options" with regard to the Internet download issue.

"I think it's deplorable what enemies of Fahrenheit 9/11 are doing," Ortenberg said in the trade paper. "We are currently looking into our legal options. We are not going to tolerate anybody trying to infringe on [the film's release]."

Ironically, the anti-piracy warriors at the Motion Picture Association of America can be counted out in the fight over Fahrenheit.

MPAA spokesman Matthew Grossman said Thursday that since Lions Gate, which recently battled the organization's ratings board over Moore's documentary, isn't a member of the movie-lobbying group, the MPAA doesn't have the authority to go after bootleggers of its films.

"[But] just because our anti-piracy guys can't send out a cease-and-desist letter doesn't mean that when we do for these laws [we'll ignore the issue]," Grossman said. "What's important to us is that we change this culture of intellectual property violations."

The prospect of the MPAA going to bat for Fahrenheit is a tantalizing one, considering that the group recently did battle with Moore over the film's rating. Moore wanted a teen-friendly PG-13; the MPAA wanted, and got, an adult-friendly R.

For his part, the 34-year-old Kenefick, who has watched Fahrenheit "a number of times" on his computer, said he generally supports copyright laws.

"The MPAA, the companies that make these films, [they] have the right to say you can't do this," Kenefick said.

And while Kenefick said he wouldn't help his readers find an Internet bootleg of, say, Spider-Man 2, he said Fahrenheit 9/11 is a different matter--presenting a chance to tweak what he views as Moore's hypocrisy.

To Moorewatch.com, exhibit A is an exchange, said to be from a pre-Cannes, European press conference, in which Moore tells a reporter he doesn't "agree with the copyright laws." (A link to the clip is available on the site.)

"I don't have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people," Moore is heard saying. "As long as they're not doing it to make a profit off it, as long as they're not trying to make a profit off my labor."

Kenefick said he took up Moore (under fire himself from Ray Bradbury for borrowing his film's title from the author's legendary book Fahrenheit 451) on the challenge when a reader emailed him a link to the Fahrenheit download.

"Let's see if Moore really wants this to be about the work and not the money," Kenefick wrote on Moorewatch.com in the "Steal This Movie" post. "Let's get as many people to see this for themselves, and for free, as we can. Mikey, if you want to sue me, I'm not hard to find."

Certainly, Moorewatch.com hasn't been difficult for users to find (server issues aside). Traffic has tripled, to one million page views in June, Kenefick said.

If a court ordered Moorewatch.com to delete its Fahrenheit link, Kenefick said he would, but he promised that Moore wouldn't see the end of the movie on the Internet.

Said Kenefick, with a bravado that Moore might appreciate: "You can't beat something like this."

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-02-2004 02:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep the responses non-political and it won't be locked. [Cool]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-02-2004 08:58 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be a complicated issue even if Moore still owns the work, he has authorized others to make money from it. Seem to me that they could go after Moore for saying it's Ok to dwonload and by that reducing admissions and future DVD sales. It could make it more difficult to find a distributor for his next film. The law suits are undoubtedly being prepared.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-02-2004 09:08 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember thinking the same thing about Passion. After Mel made his 300 million, would he care if people saw it without paying for it?

It then became the most stolen (downloaded) film on the Internet, which I thought was interesting.

I wonder if F911 will pass it.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-02-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has more torrent seeds online than any other file at the moment.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-02-2004 04:13 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm opposed to anyone being forced to delete a link to anything no matter what it is. Linking should never be construed as violating any law. Let them go after the host of the actual film bootleg.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-05-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
torrent seeds?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-05-2004 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "seed" is someone who has the complete file. Torrents download the file from as many different people as it can connect to. Different parts of the same file can come from different parts of the world at the same time. If there is no seed online, there is no way you'll ever be able to get the entire file. You may be missing a big chunk right in the middle or little bits scattered all over the place.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-05-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
I'm opposed to anyone being forced to delete a link to anything no matter what it is. Linking should never be construed as violating any law.
Isn't linking a form of stealing bandwidth?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-06-2004 09:21 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fahrenheit 9/11 is selling for $5.00 on DVD here in Chinatown along side the rest of the major studio films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: