Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Florida boy imitating Spider-Man impales self in accident

Author Topic: Florida boy imitating Spider-Man impales self in accident
Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2004 12:44 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-bkspiderboy070204,0,2564169.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

INVERNESS -- A 5-year-old boy impersonating Spider-Man crashed into a large statue of an elephant at his grandmother's home, impaling himself on a tusk.

Hunter Helton was recovering Friday at home from the wound to his left hip. He was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital on Thursday after emergency workers became concerned the ivory tusk might have hit a bone or an artery.

Hunter had seen "Spider-Man 2" on its opening day Wednesday and was playing at his grandmother's home, imitating some of the superhero's moves.

But as he jumped around the den with his siblings and a cousin, the boy lost his balance and fell into a filing cabinet and then hit the heavy mahogany elephant his grandmother had purchased in Africa. Half the elephant's large ivory tusk broke off and got stuck in his body.

"It was horrifying," said Nikki Mitchell, Hunter's mother.

At the hospital, X-rays showed the tusk hadn't punctured anything serious. A surgeon was able to remove the object without surgery, instead cleaning the area and stitching it closed.

Doctors told Mitchell that Hunter was lucky the injuries weren't more serious.

Mitchell said she was proud of her son keeping his composure during the ordeal. He'll be rewarded with a "Spider-Man 2" video game. "That was his motivation through it all," Mitchell said. "I'm like, whatever it takes."

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry -this story is a crock.

First of all, whether it was a movie or not - the kid could imitate any superhero - from a book, a cartoon on TV, or a video game.

Secondly, if he was hurt for the reason said - why the hell would they give him a damn video game? So he could jump off the roof of the house next time?

"Go web go....Shazaam...Up, Up and Away web....AHHHHHHHHH - crunch......." More broken bones......

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-02-2004 04:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if Darwin wants to weed out the "I'm like..." gene who are we to interfere?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried that once...I was impersonating Xenon-Boy. The flamboyant young super-hero who changed xenon bulbs between shows. Often while they were still glowing.
I nearly lost my fingers in a dangerous explosion.
Let that be a lesson to ya...Never play super heros anywhere but in a padded room, such as a bounce house.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my childhood injuries were sustained in bounce houses. The last things I remember is a child's scull flying towards my face, then being surrounded by parents asking if I am ok. [Frown]

=TMP=

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-03-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and now you know the rest of the story!

(<---My 666th post! Scaaaaary! [evil] )

[ 07-03-2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that some of you guys find this amusing or unbelievable is quite disturbing. Kids play games and pretend, and they fall down, run into things, break bones, fall off bikes or out of trees, etc. It's a normal thing.

danny

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 02:34 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that some of you guys find our amusement or disbelief in the situation disturbing is quite disturbing. People laugh at others' stupid misfortunes all the time, it's what makes the world go 'round and is part of the learning process. As Jeff Foxworthy said, as if he were speaking to a little kid, "You wanna stick a penny in a light socket? GO AHEAD! Hurts like hell, don't it? Don't do that no more..." [Smile]

Reminds me of an accident I saw on the highway yesterday. This "all-too-cool" person in their black Honda Civic, low to the ground with those idiotic rims that spin when the car isn't moving, was zipping and zig-zagging through stop-and-go traffic (or go-and-stop as some smartasses prefer) at about 60mph, crossing over 2 lanes at a time. Further up the road, I see he didn't make it too far, and is yelling out the window and flailing his arms at the car next to him. I can hear: "Fuck you motherfucker! I'll drive however the fuck I want to...." ***BAM!!*** no more than a split-second after saying that, he plows into the back of a van. Yes, I'll admit, I laughed. Hard. Then I checked to see if he was OK as I drove past. The van's back end was a little mashed, but the whole front of his little plastic car was destroyed.

He learned his lesson. Much like the spiderman kid did.

=TMP=

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, he learnt the second most common blunder.
The first being "Don't get involved in a land war in Asia"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-03-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a child, there was a notorious incident involving someone who went to the other school in our neighbourhood (i.e. the 'rivals'). Inspired by a trip to the pictures to see Back to the Future, he donned a pair of roller skates, grasped hold of the bumper of a lorry while it was stopped at some traffic lights... and ended up having to be scraped off the tarmac of the A3 in several different bits.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is directly attributable to the fact that there are now too many channels on TV. Otherwise, those kids would have grown up watching Road Runner cartoons almost nonstop, & would have learned that you can work something out with freakin calculus & it can still fall on you or fire you over a cliff.

Those kids never learned to stop & think: "But wait, does this look like something Wile E. Coyote would do?"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-05-2004 05:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was before the satellite/cable/digital terrestrial revolution had given us a bazillion channels. I guess I would have been 10-12 at the time (which would make it 1983-85), and I don't think that even Channel 4 had started (so we just had the two BBC channels and one commercial). Even VCR ownership was still restricted to wealthier families: it was late 80s/early 90s before every household that wanted one had one, I would guess (1990 in my case). I do remember our teachers being shocked that once the news broke about this kid's DIY stuntman attempt and its grisly outcome, our response was basically to make sick jokes about it (he went to Raynes Park High where they're all losers; what a surprise; one down, 786 to go; &c. &c.). Typical adolescent's way of dealing with stuff like that, I guess.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-05-2004 07:00 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me that I read many years ago in a German news magazine (which is a very good magazine, so I tend to think the story was well researched) about a guy who dressed up as batman (minus pants) for some sex game with his wife. He leapt from the bedroom closet down on the bed where she was waiting and seriously hurt his male attributes on the bed post.
If I don`t confuse this with another story, the paramedics who carried him him down the stairs on a stretcher had a laughing fit when he told them what had happened and why he was wearing a batman costume, dropped the stretcher and he broke a leg too.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-05-2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do I hear the sound of another pellet of clorine dropping into the gene pool?! [Big Grin]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-05-2004 11:52 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
That reminds me that I read many years ago in a German news magazine (which is a very good magazine, so I tend to think the story was well researched) about a guy who dressed up as batman (minus pants) for some sex game with his wife. He leapt from the bedroom closet down on the bed where she was waiting and seriously hurt his male attributes on the bed post.
If I don`t confuse this with another story, the paramedics who carried him him down the stairs on a stretcher had a laughing fit when he told them what had happened and why he was wearing a batman costume, dropped the stretcher and he broke a leg too.

Its an urban legend, Mike.
Read all about it

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: