Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Star Trek's "Scotty" diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease

Author Topic: Star Trek's "Scotty" diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-06-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/aplocal_story.asp?category=6420&slug=WA%20Doohan%20Alzheimer%27s

This is one disease I wish could be erricated from the face of the earth.

My thoughts are with Mr. James Doohan and his family.

Another sad day for the Entertainment Industry.

Edit....I screwed up the speling of Mr. Doohan's name....so I corrected it. [Big Grin]

[ 07-06-2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

|  IP: Logged

Ryan Luby
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Ryan Luby   Email Ryan Luby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on the ridding the world of Alzheimer's. One of the worst things to go through is watching a loved one suffer through that.

I heard a while back (don't remember the details) that they are starting to make some significant strides on slowing down the disease or even curing it in the future, though. I'm sure someone else knows more than I.

Article:
quote:

Agent: Star Trek's "Scotty" diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease

By MELANTHIA MITCHELL
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

SEATTLE -- James M. Doohan, the actor who played "Scotty" on Star Trek, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, his agent confirmed Tuesday.

Doohan, 84, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's "within the last couple months," agent Steven Stevens told The Associated Press. He said Doohan is in the beginning stages of the disease, a progressive neurological disorder that afflicted former President Ronald Reagan, who died June 5.

Doohan also has suffered for some time with Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis due to chemical exposure during World War II and the D-Day invasion in France, said Stevens, of Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Doohan lives in Redmond, a suburb northeast of Seattle. A telephone number was not listed and a call his son, Chris Doohan, of California, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Stevens said he last saw Doohan in January in Los Angeles when the actor made a cameo appearance in the upcoming horror film, "Skinwalker: Curse of the Shaman."

"He didn't have any energy and he seemed very frail. But as soon as they yelled 'Action,' he was the same old feisty Scotty," said Stevens, who has represented Doohan for the past 28 years.

Doohan was born March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, British Columbia. His career spans more than 50 years, but he is best known for his role as the USS. Enterprise's affable chief engineer, Cmdr. Montgomery Scott, in the original 1966-69 "Star Trek" TV series.

He has lived in Redmond for almost a dozen years with his wife, Wende. They have a 4-year-old daughter and two older sons, and Doohan has four children from a previous marriage, Stevens said.

Doohan was selected last month to receive a star Aug. 31 on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.

Before his induction, Doohan plans a three-day Star Trek farewell convention, Aug. 28-30, in Hollywood, Stevens said. All surviving members of the original Enterprise crew are scheduled to attend, including William Shatner, who played Capt. Kirk, and Leonard Nimoy, who was Mr. Spock.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear that. [Frown]

Becuase I like pictures:
 -

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-06-2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This was mentioned on the radio this morning. They said he also suffers from Parkinson's disease and diabetes as well.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 10:09 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother on my mothers side suffered from both Parkinsons and Alzheimers and later developed Diabetes. May be a connection between all them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: