Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » It's OVERRRR!!!!!!!!!!! (My Job That Is!!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It's OVERRRR!!!!!!!!!!! (My Job That Is!!)
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, the hell that is Carmike Cinemas is behind me!!!! I went to pick up my check today and got fired. True, not the best way to go, but I'm gone nevertheless.

Apparently, it was because I made a joke about rewiring the failsafes with another usher. It was also about me calling the DM when the managers were @ a meeting in Sebring. Whatever. I'm gone and I feel great.

Now the next part of my quest....Job Hunting monday morning. That should be fun!!!

BTW, I'm still not going to stop visiting here. I LOVE this place!!!

|  IP: Logged

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct my if I'm wrong, but didn't you post something similar to this several months ago? I am not there, and don't presume to know both sides of your story by reading your posts. Also, I have certainly not been 100% impressed with how the Carmikes around here are operated. That being said, it seems you like to rock the boat or always have problems with your managers. The post about the doorman telling customers about the end credits was silly. It sounds to me like the doorman had more customer service than I have ever seen in a Carmike, this is not a bad thing. I would encourage you to look inward rather than outward as to why these problems arise. I would not take too kindly to an employee constantly challenging my authority or decision making ability. I believe you love the theatre industry and care. If you want to do things better, bide your time, bite your tongue, and work your ass off to gain a management position. Then you can do things your way. (Within the perameters of company policy of course.)

I should also mention that I don't know how other Carmike's are managed, my company has a few half ass managers as well, so please don't take this as my opinion of an entire company.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-10-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on your previous posts, good for you!

That place sounded like a nightmare. I think it is wierd though that you got fired for going to your DM with some of the problems. Did your DM ever contact you to find more information? Did he disscuss the issue with other employees? Or did he just call your GM to blab about how you went over his/her head. If the later is true, than the theatres problems extend beyond just your location. Leadership by example.

Either way, your better for getting out of there.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-10-2004 07:28 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was your "at will" status as an employee modified in any way by an employee handbook or other document? And if so did they follow their own procedures such as giving you written warnings of any unsatisfactory performance? In general they can terminate you at any time for any reason or no reason at all. But if they have a policy that says otherwise then you may have a case of wrongful termination. At the very least you could scare them into coughing up a reasonable severence.

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 08:12 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, Richard. I've said worse when I ran projection at AMC Seven Hills five years ago(over the JOBCOM/walkie most of the time), but the only punishment I received there was that I lost jobcom use for a couple of months, so if I had to call someone, I'd have to run across the theatre (Luckily, it was only 10 screens) to get them. I didn't get fired until the last day of my 'two weeks notice' resignation term. I yelled at a part-time manager because she was yelling at me while I was trying to fix a failsafe. Naturally, she told me to 'GET OUT'. Not only did I leave the booth, I left the building, never to return except to pick up my last paycheck. Ah, those wonderfully hostile teenage years. [Roll Eyes]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad that it's over. This is the push I needed to get up off my ass and do something with my life. Wish me luck for Monday!! [Big Grin]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

My understanding of the "at will" laws is that the company can terminate employment at any time without a reason. However, as soon as a reason is given, such as "for calling the DM at 3:00 am" the company has to be able to back that claim up. As a manager, when using the cover of "at will termination," one should always keep their mouth shut as to a reason. If you give one, you had better have a paper trail. Its been told to me that, in essence, you can fire someone for having orange hair, but you can't tell them thats the reason.

-Adam

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
I'm so glad that it's over. This is the push I needed to get up off my ass and do something with my life.
Easy there Cochise. At your age and experience you'll probably go from one minimum wage position into another. I don't tell you this to poke fun, I say this because I don't want to see you get pissed when the same shit starts all over again.

As R. Andrew said, bide your time. Moreover, don't take the first job you find. You'll be flipping burgers just so you can say ' I have a job'. No thanks! Before going out to look, first get online and research some possible venues and companies you might be interested in. By now even the smallest mom-and-pap place has a website. USE IT. It looks real good if you can talk about something in the interview that might only be mentioned on the site. Also, while waiting for an interview check the place out in terms of how the staff looks, interacts, and goes about their daily tasks. This is for any business; entertainment related or not.

Good luck on Monday, but don't feel bad if nothing goes right this week. Looking for a job sucks. I know. Its been five years since I graduated college and have only found part-time work in my field.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Richard, Carmike were always bastards to their employees around here. I remember one summer where the GM suspended everyone's passes for not rampantly upselling. They wanted to turn an enjoyable movie experience into one that is frustrating for patrons and employees alike. They always paralleled the Best Buy corporation in my mind [Roll Eyes] but perhaps that's because I had my own experience with BBY. Nevertheless, persist and you'll find a good theater job soon. If you lived in MN I'd get you hired in my booth

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I was about to leave myself because as of Friday, No more employees were allowed to sit in theatres when they are on a break. Not just opening weekend movies, but the ones that had been there for months. Also, our passes were restricted to once a week and we couldn't use them on opening weekend for a movie.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-11-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I'm not aware of that but who knows; you might be right, perhaps not so much as regards any law but just what has transpired over time with wrongful termination case law. It certainly seems like it would be easier for companies not to have a policy except maybe to remind everyone that they can be let go at any time the company decides their services are no longer desired and as long as it's not for a reason that is protected from discrimination they can do as they please.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2004 03:48 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,
Those restrictions don't sound too out of line. Anyone going in and out of auditoriums is disruptive to the paying customers, so keeping that to a minimum sounds reasonable. Many new movies are also booked as a 'no-pass' engagement for opening weekend, so it only makes sense that that restriction applies to everyone. While I agree that having perks that get cut isn't very popular, would you really have quit over that?

Anyway, its almost the end of monday, how did it go?

-Adam

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-11-2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Wilbert
its almost the end of monday, how did it go?
Wait, isnt it Sunday? [Confused]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-11-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is Jeremy to most of us. But, those in WA are soooo very ahead of all of us in their thinking and ways, they are ALWAYS a day ahead of the rest of us. [Wink] [Razz]

>>> Phil

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wait a tic. I start my work week on Sunday now, and it's got me all screwy. Monday, Sunday. They sound nearly identical. My bad.

-adam

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: