Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theatre sold in Manitowoc WI (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre sold in Manitowoc WI
John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 02:29 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don and Rachel, does this sale effect your jobs?

Strand Theatre is Sold

quote:
MANITOWOC — Joe Bauknecht believes his $2 million purchase of the downtown Strand Theater Friday is good news for his company and Lakeshore area movie fans.

“Now, the distributors won’t be able to play me off against Bob (Johnson). Everything in this business is driven by dollars and the movie companies want every dollar they can get,” said Bauknecht, who with his wife, Sally, also owns Family Cinema on Dewey Street as the initial business entity of the Bauknecht Corp.

Now, Bauknecht owns all 10 first-run screens in Manitowoc County.

Lance Lange owns the budget, second-run, single screen Lakeshore Cinema on Washington Street.

In a February interview of the Lakeshore area’s movie house owners, Johnson cited the competition between the Strand and Family Cinema, which opened Memorial Day weekend 2003.

“Joe and I aren’t going to be enemies at any time, but the film companies will just squeeze us both. We’ll both be paying more for films. It’ll make it tough to make a living in Manitowoc unless 20,000 people move in,” Johnson said. He had owned the Strand for nearly 30 years.

With no competition between Johnson and Bauknecht for prime first-run films, ticket prices should be able to remain at $8 at both the Strand and Family Cinema “for, at least, the time being,” Bauknecht said. Matinee prices at both theaters will stay at $5.50.

The chances are also reduced, he said, that his booking agent will have to accept a film from a distributor with potentially few customers in exchange for preferred booking on an anticipated blockbuster.

“We will be able to keep the good movies longer and won’t have to play some of the less popular films we become obligated to take,” Bauknecht said.

Bauknecht said popcorn, soda and other concessions would be similar at both theaters, in some cases translating into a reduced price or larger size than previously served at the Strand.

He said there would be minor cosmetic changes at the Strand but the most noticeable addition would be cup holders for all the seats in the six theaters, with a total capacity of 1,150. Bauknecht said he wanted to install brighter bulbs in the projectors for a crisper picture.

His daughter, Gretchen Bauknecht, 23, is general manager of Bauknecht Corp., which also on Friday bought Johnson’s three-screen West Bend Cinema for an additional $500,000.

“I’m excited. This opens more opportunities for us. When I’m not working, I like to catch a movie,” she said. “In this area we have a broad market. Sometimes, I help pick out what (movies) may be popular with the younger crowd,” Gretchen Bauknecht said.

Heritage Commercial Real Estate’s Kevin Neelis, Bill Illgen and Corey Kornely brokered the total $2.5 million transaction.

Joe Bauknecht is counting down the days until his term as Manitowoc County clerk of circuit courts ends on Jan. 3.

“I won’t miss the budgetary constraints. With your own business, you can do what you want when you know it needs to be done,” he said.

He said Bauknecht Corp. may acquire additional movie theaters.

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-10-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I'm sorry to hear this news. I'm sure Mr. Bauknecht will do a very good job at running it.

Neither me or Don work there anymore, a couple of months ago Johnson laid off the entire management staff...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2004 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess it goes to show that a good salesman can sell anything. No way were those two locations worth 2.5 million, thats a farce. The Johnsons were the real winners in this deal and I like that Bob made that kinda dough off the places. Now....What Joe Bauknecht could have built for 2.5 million would have been real nice and could have put the Strand right out of buisness in the Marcus tradition anyway.

Myself having installed all the eqipment in this theatre I can definately say that the net result is that Manitowoc still has nothing but just a tacked together mid grade theatre that charges $8.00 a head, the same price that a high end theatre would get.

Mark

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch!!!!! I had no idea they got that much for the West Bend location.They would not tell me. I have managed the theatre for the past 6 years. I had talked to the Johnson boys in the past about buying it. But, they would never give me an actual figure. Its a cool building, with lots of old charm to it. [Eek!] I'm looking forward to working for the Bauknechts, they seem to be a very nice family.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,
That upstairs theatre is really a nice little gem isn't it??? The downstairs though... oh well a common twin up job. The West Bend place still has a whole lot more charm than the Strand had when it was a single screener. West Bend in itself is a really nice little town!!

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-11-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, I guess you never noticed the No Telemarketers clause in the FAQ. LOL [Razz]

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2004 01:51 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you are so right, the upstairs is a very neat theatre. We actually had the seats recovered last year. Plus, I installed cupholders on all seats. Our sound system kicks ass, and is better than our local competitor down the street.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-12-2004 07:26 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm not doing telemarketing anymore! Now I'm doing surveys...we are not included on the 'No Call' list, so THERE!

Anyway, don't pick on my Strand! I obviously never saw it as a 1 screener but I love the upstairs theater (to everyone else's ammusment), it's just 'neat'. The way the stage is the most comfortable seat in the house is to lay down in front of the screen. [Big Grin]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-12-2004 10:30 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, who did your seats?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-12-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rach,
I love that room as well. Its got better than perfect sight lines from every seat. Ya can thank me for that giant screen up there. Best room in the whole place! I too used to sleep up there in my sleeping bag on occasion when I was there doing service work on the equipment. One morning when I emerged at what used to be the east hall exit door before # 5 and 6 were there. A snow drift had covered the entire side of the building all the way to the roof line. My van was under all that snow [Confused] .

Don....
Ahh- Err Actually I put in the competitions stuff down the street as well. Steve K. helped with a large part of the install. Its all JBL behind the screens and the surrounds, Some budget Smart systems in the smaller theatres but Ultra Stereo/DTS in the larger houses. This was a long time ago and you may have upgraded yours as well. That DTS you have upstairs I put in for Jurassic Park... one at the strand too in what is #4, these were my 2nd, and 3rd DTS installs. Both were originally a 2 chan stereo DTS that fed the preamp input on the processor!! Later I converted it and the Strands to 6 channel. Janesville was my first DTS install.

Mark @ CLACO

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve-
Ed Judge and crew recovered the seats.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-13-2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ed lives just west of Madison but I don't have his number.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-14-2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
West of Madison? Near Mazo Beach*????

* nude beach on the Wisconsin River

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 06:55 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Ed Judge's number if anyone needs it. He does all my seat repairs. His father Art Judge did the original seat installs at my theatre, the Marcus Northtown Cinema, back in 1974.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-14-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Don, is Joe Bauknecht looking for any PT managers at the Strand? [Wink] Getting ahold of him is not an easy task!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: