Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Computer monitor buzzing when I switch the aspect ratio...

Author Topic: Computer monitor buzzing when I switch the aspect ratio...
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2004 05:44 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone-

I just bought a DVD burner (HP) and when burning DVDs it wants the aspect to be 1024x768 as well as many websites lately. When it is put in this ratio (we usually run 800x600), the icons and font are VERY small and the monitor buzzes loudly. Is there any way I can fix this?

Thank-you in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-11-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That is what a higher resolution is. You get more lines on the screen at once (meaning your icons are smaller).

Right click your desktop. Select properties, then select settings and click advanced. Then select monitor and change your refresh rate. 60hz will produce an annoying flicker. Once you hit 70-75, the flicker will start to disappear. 85hz is what most people run at. Beware your monitor or card may or may not be able to handle certain settings. If things get screwy, just sit and wait the 15 seconds without touching anything and the settings will revert.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-12-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on which Winblows you may have an option for larger icons.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2004 12:52 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the flicker of a monitor at 60hz amplified if it is under flourescent lighting? I seem to remember this being a problem in the computer labs at school with the monitors syncing to the flourescent cycle every few seconds.

Andrew, if you're already shelling out the dough for a DVD burner, you might just want to consider getting a new monitor. Decent sized CRTs will give you 1024x768 or better without making your icons and text too small.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-12-2004 06:08 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Wilbert
Isn't the flicker of a monitor at 60hz amplified if it is under flourescent lighting? I seem to remember this being a problem in the computer labs at school with the monitors syncing to the flourescent cycle every few seconds.

I guess you could get a visible "beat" between 60Hz fluorescent lighting and a near 60Hz monitor frequency. You should really try to keep ambient light off the face of the monitor.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently purchased a new monitor after doing a lot of comparing and research. I got the best one for my needs at an excellent price! What's better is I ordered it from Amazon with 3-day delivery, only to discover a special free shipping bonus and I didn't have to pay sales tax either! I calculated I saved about $80 dollars from ordering it elswhere.

The monitor I chose (and I'm quite pleased with) is here:

Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies everyone...

This computer is in our clubhouse office for the stables... There's a flourescent light in the ceiling, but we never have it on (Don't think it works), then there's two in the lounge right next to this room (only one works), and finally one in the hallway next to this room (sometimes works)... The other wall in this office is a big window, and the monitor sits across from it.

As for the lights not working: We just moved here to this run down, not used for 10 years ranch in December. We've cleaned up tons of junk, and we will eventually get to the lighting issue... [Big Grin]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The buzzing sound is caused by cicadas which enter computer monitors to mate. They will be going back underground soon, & the buzzing will stop.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-13-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But in 17 years, they'll be BACK! [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: