Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Poetry of Gordon McLeod (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Poetry of Gordon McLeod
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 06:33 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner said:
William, I'm not sure if that was English, but I honestly didn't understand a word of what you were trying to say.
That is entirely the fault of Gordon McLeod. I used to use perfectly standard sentence structure & organization until I began to read Gordon's posts.

At first it was difficult, then it became apparent that each of Gordon's post was custom-built for the application: a faster, more efficient, highly featured unit just for that application.

You get to where you realize that you don't read one of Gordon's posts, you just look at it, & BZZZT all the information is in your head, faster & with more collateral detail than a post with 3 times as many words conventionally constructed.

I used to not like poetry at all. Why can't they just write it out in a sentence? But a co-worker's daughter came in & needed help to write a paper on a poem, & I suddenly realized looking at it that poetry is actually a more compact, densely informative device - like Gordon constructs his posts. I since then: a) realized that sentence structure is all just a organizational imposition which sometimes is not as efficient b) tried to emulate Gordon's work. Unfortunately, as is often the case, learning & application is sometimes is far inferior to aptitude & artistry. Gordon's posts are brilliant, brief, & full of information. Trying to emulate, I realize I'm not as good.

Gordon McLeod's work has gone unappreciated too long, & I would like to present this collection:

------------------------------

quote:

The LED turning on and off
is not a function of the soundhead
but the way the engineer installed it

quote:

Horizontal lamps burn
quiet
happily
when mounted vertically
the reverse isn't true
and they require very high magnetic stabalization
if done so

quote:

Mark said" oe,
Please just scram!
You're not allowed
anywhere
near
70mm film
ya know.

Guttag made 14 perfect
(mighta been 16)
changovers
when I saw Gettysburg at the Uptown in 70mm!

Lets see you do that one..... Whoops "

I would have assumed
that 16 chnageovers
in a row
perfectly done
are the norm

quote:

Often it is caused by the ilm
riding
up on the flange
of a roller
and the film then folds
slightly
against the spinning roller
leaving the marks
all it takes
is one roller misthreaded
once
for it to happen

quote:

The push to stadium seated theatres
effectively raised the hight of the room
for a given number of seats
leading to the push
for vertical moving masking
It isn't ideal
but is a fact of life
out there
The biggest problem
is light loss
The widescreen flat format
is the least light efficient to start with
compared to scope
and making it the larger of the images
is a tradeoff

quote:

Speed control is fairly easy nowdays
thanks to the use of frequency drive invertor motor controllers
Bodine Reliance/AllenBradley and many others
make them they work very well
some even have feedback
to do positional lock between two machines

quote:

I sometimes wonder
how people
in this industry
miss checking with what the standard is
for many things
like the number of frames per foot
(especially since it is in film note for reel people in the manual section of this site)

There seems to be a lot of topics
as of late
that a little research
would go a long way to solving
and other usefull skills learned
along the way

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-16-2004 07:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
Sounds to me like you've never been to Canada. They all talk and write that way up there and its basically just the accent filtering back down into print. Just read one of the najor papers up there and you'll see what I mean. You will also find a very similar accent in much of Wisconsin.

Mark

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-16-2004 07:45 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! We don't talk like Gord!!! [fu] [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 08:12 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people along the south coasts of lakes Erie and Ontario speak a bit of Canadian too. [Wink] As I grew up south of Buffalo NY, about half of the television programs I watched were from stations in Toronto and Hamilton. [Cool]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 12:23 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is the e.e. cummings of Canada.
"seeker of truth
follow no path
all paths lead where
truth is here" [Cool]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-16-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"HEY! We don't talk like Gord!!! "

Rach,
I'll leave the gestures out. While you yourself might not talk like Gord many Wisconsinites do sound very much Canadian ya know hey. You however probably talk with the goofy eastern accent don't ya..... [Big Grin]

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 07:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William: ROFL

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-16-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahaha... I agree Steve... Hilarious!

Thanks William for your humorous way of pointing out what a true hoser Gordon really is... [beer]

>>> Phil

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 11:36 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah woah woah..accents?? C'mon you can't be serious.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-17-2004 01:37 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you talking ah-boat?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-17-2004 02:02 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done. [thumbsup]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-17-2004 02:14 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon isn't the only Film-Tech poet [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-17-2004 08:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I just don't mince my words [Smile] Or as Tom Leher said about Gilbert And Sulivan operettas " Words Words Words and more Words that symbolise and mean absolutly nothing" [Big Grin]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-17-2004 10:02 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sung out, the words have body even though there may be no substance [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-17-2004 10:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sung out, the words have body even though there may be no substance "

I believe it is the substance that those which sing it owt are after when they are done singing it owt....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: