Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Video Allows George Lucas to actually Direct His Movie! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Video Allows George Lucas to actually Direct His Movie!
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-21-2004 01:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click Here for the page at Star Wars.com that will load a 15MB Quicktime movie to watch how George is using video to revolutionize movie making. Sometimes the audio is hard to understand due to the poor, unskilled compression job that was done to it, but it should be enough to get the over idea. Anyway video allows George to see the actors on big monitors, and that has encouraged him to get up from his chair and actually approach the actors and direct them when he sees something wrong! Is this a George Lucas first? Why does George have no chin?

If the Star Wars site is busy, you can download the file here. Also 15MB.

Quicktime 6 be required, yo.

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2004 02:17 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, just curious:

Exactly how many "emovitar" photos did you take? I think I want a gallery page of all of them. Challenge: Do you have one for bemused resignation?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-21-2004 02:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 27. No gallery for you unless you can answer this random obscure question:

Who is the guy that does the voices for Neo Geo games?

PS - I have no concept of "bemused".

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2004 03:50 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Who is the guy that does the voices for Neo Geo games?
You have no idea how ironic a question that was to ask me. I answered it in the September issue of "GameFan" magazine waaayyy back during their first year of publication. They teased me for my rather unusual name, but it was still cool to get my letter printed anyway. I still have the magazine and will scan the page for you. BRB...

Edit:
Okay, here's a quick and messy scan of the mail section in the September 1993 issue of Gamefan magazine: (my letter is in the upper left)

Link to server off-site for discussion removed per archival policy. Read the FAQ.

[ 07-21-2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-21-2004 05:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does George have no chin?
The monster posing as a beard ate it.

Pretty concise way to issue my 2000th FT post.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-21-2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! Sorry Cliff, no link in your post, so I can't give ya a gallery!

Anyway, has anyone else besides me watched the Quicktime?

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-21-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem silly that it's such a novel idea that Lucas gets up to interact with his actors. Any good director will be scrutinizing the performances in any way he/she can.

I think, like the clip says, that having the "video village" makes it a lot easier, removing the necessity of having dailies and all that. But they make it seem like "we can FINALLY do these things, thanks to technology!"

And I, of course, had to go through and watch all those documentary things and get myself worked up, anticipating this movie. If I keep this up, I'll be one of those "I can't wait! It's going to be SO great!" droids you run into every now and then.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-21-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That clip is basically a commercial for really big plasma screens. The way people talk is just like they do on those TV shopping channels "I bbqued before, but only since I had the Butchermaster Samurai Chef 2000 knife set has it become the complete experience it is now".

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do we know they are plasmas? Was it mentioned? Either I couldn't understand what was being said becaise of the incompetant audio compression or I just wasn't listening.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-22-2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
video allows George to see the actors on big monitors
Video taps are nothing new. (First stuck on Panaflex cameras by Phil Hill.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2004 01:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gotta watch da Quicktime! They talk about video taps and how they and Phil suck!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-22-2004 01:40 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the video, George actually says to the Director of "xXx":

"We're making a little commercial for plasma screens here."

...or words to very similar effect. That's almost an exact quote.

Joe: The sound quality was not bad. Something's wrong with your computer setup (or your ears).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2004 04:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. I guarantee my speakers are better than yours. You are just used to crappy compression.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-22-2004 08:36 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you're not a member of the site. Then you would have been able to see a bigger version about a month ago. And maybe you'll actually be able to hear it on your spark-o-matic speakers too.

[Razz]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-22-2004 09:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trend for monitors for on-set use is large screen LCD, not plasma. CRT monitors are still preferred for color and tone scale, despite their weight. Unless the display and viewing conditions are well controlled, a monitor is NOT a good way to judge lighting and color.

Kodak has just announced a Kodak Display Manager system to aid in controlling monitors:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/news/nab2004breakthroughsP.shtml

quote:
Kodak Display Manager System with its Lustre V2.0 system on both a monitor and a digital projector in its suite at the conference. The Kodak Display Manager System consists of a calibration tool and proprietary software that automatically adjusts images displayed on a computer monitor to simulate the film look. The Kodak Display Manager System and Kodak color science technology are also being shown in the Kodak booth.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: