Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Less Obvious Reasons why Catwoman Tanked

Author Topic: Less Obvious Reasons why Catwoman Tanked
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=794&ncid=790&e=3&u=/eo/20040725/en_movies_eo/14581

quote:
Apparently nobody much gave a meow about seeing the feline-friendly leather-clad Berry claw at Sharon Stone and other evildoers. The PG-13 Warners release, which reportedly cost almost $100 million to produce, had been mauled by critics (including being compared unfavorably to Garfield--me-ouch!), and Dergarabedian theorized, "Boys like to see the word 'man', not 'woman' " in their action flicks. At 3,117 sites, Catwoman averaged only $5,504.

And hiring a director named Pitof and giving him $100 million doesn't help either.

|  IP: Logged

Ryan Luby
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Ryan Luby   Email Ryan Luby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
"Boys like to see the word 'man', not 'woman' "
Yeah, because NO ONE wants to see Halle Berry flying around in next to nothing and fighting other girls..

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, that would make 'Man Man' the ultimate grossing action film? [Razz]

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2004 04:10 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seeing it tonight at a drive-in, along with Anchorman (for the 3rd time) -- not so much because I want to, but just because I needed something to do tonight. I turned up the monitor volume on the sound processor in our booth while tidying up things and the dialogue didn't sound too terrible, so I'm guessing it's not quite as bad as it's made out to be.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-27-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CatWOMAN 1
AnchorMAN 3

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know why! Wrong actress and wrong costume! Halle just looks sleazy in the new film.
If they had used Michelle again, in her classy latex suit, I would have been there opening day! [evil]
 -

Ryan Luby
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2004 04:47 PM      Profile for Ryan Luby   Email Ryan Luby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michelle was an amazing catwoman.
(A decent script might've helped, too)

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And to think this film was going to be transferred onto IMAX film.

Last time I counted the RottenTomatoes review count it was I think 13 fresh, 114 rotten ,not to mention #35 in IMDB's bottom 100 list.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-27-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Ryan, the script and production/direction sucked!

I've already melted down my screener copy into an art form...

>>> Phil

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe it failed because it was the first "Comic Adaptation" that was not adapted form a Comic Book.

Find me an issue (Not Elseworlds) where Catwoman has any powers, where she died and was brought back to life, where she was anything more than the best trained cat burglar ever. Find me any issue where Catwoman's name matches the one in the film.

The film went against the desires of the comic fan. So they flipped off the key demographic and paid the price.

Please note, I don't care what colr the actress is that plays CW, but tie it to the Comic book somehow. All DC comics are adapted by the same company, so you don't have the rights issues that exist with some characters (Ben Urich was in Fox's Daredevil so he cannot be in Sony's Spiderman Franchise) So at least mention Gotham or Bats.

Just a bad idea from start to finish

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-29-2004 11:45 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robb Johnston
where she was anything more than the best trained cat burglar ever
I don't read comic books, so I had no idea that Catwoman was really a burglar. A great thief movie would have been much better than yet another superhero(ine) story. But I guess they were concerned that gloriyfying a thief would be un-PC or something stupid like that, and that a hero these days has to be absolutely clean and "positive".

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-30-2004 05:07 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glorifying thievery would be wrong, but putting a role model for female empowerment in skimpy, hole-ridden leather is politically accepted as correct? It seems they might as well have added the cat burglar twist to this movie and it wouldn't have been any worse. Who knows what they were thinking?

I haven't seen it, nor plan on it. Several co-workers walked out after no more than 15 minutes.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-30-2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and gentlemen, there is but ONE Catwoman, and her name is Newmar!

-

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-30-2004 05:58 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
Glorifying thievery would be wrong, but putting a role model for female empowerment in skimpy, hole-ridden leather is politically accepted as correct?
I'm not sure anyone made any claims about the character being a role model for female empowerment. On the contrary, I suspect it was intended more as a role model for male fantasies... and from the box office figures, not that many males seem to have been duly fantasised. Mieow!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: