Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Should sirens be allowed on top of shopping malls equipped with theatres?

Author Topic: Should sirens be allowed on top of shopping malls equipped with theatres?
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 09:11 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question with no advertising intendedjust telling you what type of model & make of siren it is. I found photos of it in the www.airraidsirens.com Q&A forums. It is a dual toned Thunderbolt 1000T siren once made by Federal Signal,a siren with a rotating square horn & pressurized by a Roots supercharger style blower to make it louder-about 130 decibels at 100 feet.
It's on the roof of an indoor shopping mall called Northgate near a JC Penney,but what I'm asking is should outdoor warnng sirens be allowed on top of malls that have a theatre inside or nearby because even if the theatre complies with THX standards in being sound insulated,would someone be likely to hear the siren inside the auditorium even if the siren was directly on top of the theatre & should it br relocated to comply with THX noise standards whether or not the theatre is THX certifed?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-30-2004 09:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what the siren is for. For example, there is a nuclear power plant near Rochester, and there are numerous sirens located within a ten mile radius of the plant to warn of situations that may require evacuation. If the sirens go off, you are supposed to tune in to emergency broadcasts on the radio for evacuation instructions. Hopefully, the sirens will never be used, except for annual testing. If I were in a theatre, I would WANT to hear the sirens. [Eek!]

If the siren is for the local fire department to call firefighters, it probably is used on a relatively frequent basis. In that case, it certainly should be relocated away from the theatre.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-30-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But couldnt the sirens easily be heard in the lobby, and management would be able to alert the patrons in a safe manner. Rather than a theater full of people all running out at once.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-30-2004 10:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Texas right in the middle of "Tornado Alley"? (The southernmost end of it, anyway.) And, if you are near enough to the coastline, you would be subject to the occasional hurricane too. No?

I imagine that it is there for a tornado siren.

If that's the case, I don't know about you but, I'd want to have about SIX of them up there to make SURE everybody hears the warning if there is a tornado coming! [Big Grin]

Seriously, now... How often do they blow it? If it's not a warning signal of some kind and they blow it on a regular basis, I'd be complaining too!

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-30-2004 10:07 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well down here we dont get too many tornadoes. Thats more up in Brads area. And hurricanes dont strike without warning, so we dont have sirens, or at least I've never heard any.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nebraska gets riddled with tornadoes each year and we have sirens all over the place. The sirens are tested the first Wednesday of every month in my home town and while the movie is going you can't hear it in the auditorium. In fact, you can barely hear it inside the lobby. I keep a weather radio in my office in case something drastic were to happen.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
so we dont have sirens
Yeah you do Jeremy, Along IH 37 on the edge of all the refineries and they do test them all the time.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-30-2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lawton has many large tornado sirens installed across the area, but none stand immediately next any movie theaters.

I suppose the sirens are okay to have in the city, but they are often not used for the correct purposes. If we even have a severe thunderstorm the sirens will be sounded. This is due to an incident that happened in 2000. We had a severe storm west of the city that damaged a bunch of homes in the expensive Pecan Valley subdivision. Straight line winds of more than 100mph did a lot of damage and left many residents in Lawton without electricity for days. However, no tornado siren was sounded during this storm. Several emergency management people were given no end of hell over this. The residents in that subdivision swore it was a tornado, in spite of the fact it was not.

It is typical idiot reaction. Any storm that causes damage just has to be a tornado. The bad storm is somehow not a truly severe storm unless a funnel comes out of it.

So now we have this very harmful "they're crying wolf" bullshit with the tornado siren. Many people already don't take the sirens seriously. One of these days a real tornado is going to hit Lawton and some people are going to get killed for not heeding the sirens.

In truth, I don't think tornado sirens are all that effective. I could sleep through one. When I lived in south Georgia, a tornado hit town in the middle of the night and tore up the area just down the block from where I lived. I slept through the whole thing!

This is why a NOAA Weather Radio is a good investment. Keep a battery in it in case power gets knocked out during a storm. It will sound off just like an alarm clock if there is a severe thunderstorm warning or a tornado warning.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-30-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William T. Parr
Yeah you do Jeremy, Along IH 37 on the edge of all the refineries and they do test them all the time.
Shows how much I know.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 08:03 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid back in the 1960's the city tested the air-raid sirens the first tuesday of every month at noon. They only ran them for about a minute.

I've not heard any of them being run at all in years, though they are still installed on buildings, schools, etc.

The ones around here are Thunderbolts by Federal. There is one on a pole right behind a burned out grocery store building that is probably going to be destroyed when the site renewal begins. I'd love to have it. I wonder who to contact about aquiring it?

Boy, you never know what you will find on Film-Tech!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you asked. You can contact the city or post in the Q&A forum at www.airraidsirens.com .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: