Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » world's largest wurlitzer organ still in use (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: world's largest wurlitzer organ still in use
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 09:02 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not certain if you have aready discussed this subject,but has anyone visited the site of the largest wurlitzer organ still in use? I have. www.organstoppizza.com

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clark Wilson is one of the organists there, and also one of the technicians involved with the installation. He plays weekly in Columbus at a downtown film series during the summer. There is always one silent evening, and this year it was 2 Buster Keaton comedies.

Clark is a superb musician, researching songs from the year the film came out and integrating that into his score.

There used to be a pizza place with an organ in Cincinnati, but I believe it burned down. There also used to be one in Indianapolis, but that does not seem to exist any more.

I highly recommend that you take every opportunity to see a silent film perfomed with live musicians. It is a wonderful experience, and it shows you can still tell a good story without speaking.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read recently that the huge cable linking the organ console to the relays at the Atlantic City Convention Center pipe organ had been accidentally cut by electricians. Has anyone heard if its been restored yet?
Here are the specs for those that are not aware of it.....

Divisions 22 Divisions:
Pedal, Great, Grand Great, Solo, Woodwind,
Great Ancillary, Swell,Choir, Unenclosed Choir,
Grand Choir, String Organ Nos. 1, 2, & 3,
Brass Chorus, Fanfare, Echo, Reed-Diaphone Gallery 1,
Flute Organ Gallery 2, Diaposon Chorus Gallery 3,
Orchestra Reeds Gallery 4, Percussion.

Pipe and Dozens of pipe chambers located behind grille screens
Action in eight locations around the auditorium, including
Chambers in the roof overhead. Also rooms for relays, action, etc.

Largest pipes: 64' Diaphone Profunda, whose low CCCCC is 64'9" long,
10" square at the base, 36" square at the top, and
3" thick; made of a single tree that was at least 785
years old! The 12 lowest pipes contain more than
10,000 board feet of lumber, enough to build a house.

Also, there are ten 32' pedal ranks. The 32' Open
Diapasorns low CCCC is 38'6" long and weighs more than
a ton all by itself

Most powerful 8' Tuba Imperial (Solo Div.) and 16' Ophicleide
stop in the (pedal extension);
world 100" wind pressure.

Other unusual Odd stops: Vox Baryton, Bugle, Contra Spire Flute,
Stops Pileata Magna(Big Woodpecker?), Trumpet Melody, Jubal
& Melody, Euphone, Egyptian Horn, Musette, Tibia Rex,
Gizmos Dulzard Twelfth, Ocarina-- and an Unda Maris (can it
be heard in the 41,000-seat Hall?).
Unusual Gizmos: Pedal second-touch floating couplers.

Blowers Multiple recently-installed new blowers, totalling
nearly 1,000 horsepower.

Wiring 137,500 MILES of wire (enough to circle the earth
5 1/2 times)

Wood used 225,000 board feet of lumber

Weight Approximately 150 tons; main pipe chests supported
by large steel beams and frames.

Builder and Designed by Senator Emerson Richards, built by
Construction Midmer-Losh in Merrick. Long Island, New York.
Required 100 technicians, four years. Most of
the larger pipes were fabricated inside Convention
Hall.

Original cost $400,000 in 1929.

Auditorium Seats 41,000, all with unobstructed view.
Located on the Boardwalk, Atlantic City, New Jersey USA.

Miscellaneous 30 tremolos, adjustable to various speeds by organist.
There are 12 remote keyboards in the pipe chambers,
used for tuning and maintenance.
A now-disconnected five-manual "portable" console
now sits in the lobby of the Hall."
I think they should get it all back up and going, it had to be awsome back when it was installed. There is a cool CD of this organ and the first cut is just of the blowers runing up to speed. That cut alone makes the CD worthwhile!

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-07-2004 11:11 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the largest, but So. Cali folks can see silent films with live Wurlitzer Pipe Organ played at the Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo.

www.otmh.org/

Tell Bill Fields I sent ya!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-08-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has quiet a few ranks of pipe work but is a hybrid so it really can't be called the largest wurlitzer also it is very non unified
Probably the record for unification would go either to Compton or Page organs

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not the largest, but So. Cali folks can see silent films with live Wurlitzer Pipe Organ played at the Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo.

www.otmh.org/

That is probably THE WORST theatre website that I've seen. No pics of the the theatre, audiotorium, or organ on there!
I sure as hell wouldn't want to drive out to some unknown theatre.. It could be a run down shack in a very bad part of town for all i know! [puke]

danny

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-08-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I sure as hell wouldn't want to drive out to some unknown theatre.. It could be a run down shack in a very bad part of town for all i know!
Now Danny, it's not that bad. It is a small place, older building, around 188 seats. The operating costs and upkeep are thru ticket sales and donations. With such a small capacity they don't have a lot to work with. They are currently looking for a larger venue to expand into.

I agree the website is pretty lame by our standards! The primary audience there is in the 50+ range so they focused on keeping it simple and "uncluttered" (my phrasing.) I will be seeing Bill (the founder/operator) in the next week or so and I'll suggest that he add a photo gallery to the site.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-08-2004 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In 1972, the original Organ Stop Pizza restaurant premiered in Phoenix, Arizona at the corner of 7th Street and Missouri Avenue with a Wurlitzer pipe organ which was originally built for Grauman's Hollywood Egyptian Theater. This unique concept of a pizza parlor with a pipe organ was envisioned by William P. Brown, a Phoenix real estate developer whose enthusiasm for the theater pipe organ and its music led to the creation of this landmark attraction.

The phenomenal success of the Phoenix restaurant prompted plans to open another Organ Stop in Mesa. It opened in 1975 near the corner of Dobson and Southern Avenue with a Wurlitzer organ from the Denver Theater in Denver, Colorado. In the theater, the Denver instrument had 15 ranks, or sets of pipes. The instrument was totally rebuilt, and the decision was made to enlarge the organ to 23 ranks for its debut in the new Mesa Organ Stop.

The success and popularity of the new Organ Stop Pizza mirrored that of the Phoenix location. In 1984, Bill Brown decided to retire from the restaurant business. The Phoenix Organ Stop was sold to a real estate developer, who sold the pipe organ and demolished the building in favor of an office complex. Incidentally, that instrument was sold to a couple in Downers Grove, Illinois, for installation in their home!

Mark: Anyone we know? WJ & SJ did used to reside within the Tivoli. The Tiv had the organ from the Champaign Rialto but wasn't that replaced?

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 09:02 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

That would be the Sanfilippo "Palace de la Musique" in Barrington Hills, Illinois.

Here's one web page about it, though there's simply no way to do the place justice on the internet:

Jasper Sanfilippo Palace de la Musique

Here's another site, with color pictures:

Sanfilippo's Victorian Palace

My main interest is automatic musical instruments, and Jasper has at least one of nearly every one ever conceived and built, from all over the world.

Oh, BTW, the idea of putting a WurliTzer into a pizza parlor was Carsten Henningsen's. He was the first to install one in his "Ye Olde Pizza Joynt" in Hayward, California in the early 60's. He was a good friend, who's gone on to the big console in the sky. [Frown] He was also a 'steam man'. Great guy.

The huge pizza organs are mostly franken-WurliTzers and are vastly extended over their original WurliTzer specification and, as Mark says, aren't completely unified (nor are most of them entirely WurliTzer). Carsten's was modest, by comparison to the later monsters.

Ron Yost

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-08-2004 11:11 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um...that site says The nucleus of the organ was built in 1927 for the Riviera Theatre in Omaha which seems to conflict with the story about the ex-Phoenix, née-Hollywood Egyptian organ, even ignoring that Barrington Hills and Downers Grove are two completely different places.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-09-2004 12:26 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The largest as installed by the Wurlitzer company is Radio City Music Hall in NYC.

The Sanfilippo organ is at 80 ranks the largest theater organ yet built. It is mostly but not all Wurlitzer. I had opportunity to hear the organ and see and hear Mr Sanfilippo's vast mechanical musical instrument collection---all absolutely breathtaking. If you have the opportunity to go there, don't miss it.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 03:48 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember swearing to myself that I would never be one of those people who knew all about cast & acts of the theatre organ soap opera, & now I are one:

The Sanfilippo's had 2 large theatre organs. One, before they built the present huge organ house, & another when they got David Junchen to create the big one in there now.

Without going to look stuff up, it seems to me that they first had the Egyptian organ as the nucleus of an enlarged one: the Egyptian was a Style 260 Wurlitzer - 3 manuals, 15 ranks. It was enlarged with more ranks from other organs which had been parted out. Then, when they decided to build get David Junchen to build the Last Word In Theatre Organs for the new organ 'room', they sold the 1st organ & got another Wurlitzer which was enlarged. The Sanfilippo 5 manual console (not many were built back in the day!) is not vintage or original or whatever either, it was constructed I believe by Ken Crome.

Theatre organs are very modular in a basic respect: if you've got an organ that was originally 2 manuals & 10 ranks, you can replace the 2 manual console with a 3 manual, then add more ranks, then when you have more ranks, get or construct a bigger console, etc.

http://www.theatreorgans.com maintains the best database of original & existing installations; here's Downer's Grove's:
http://barton.theatreorgans.com/cgi-bin/db2net.exe

The ACCH organ has for a long time been one of those HUGE monsters that has been only partially operating or not at all. It's one of the largest in the world (fights for the title abound & quibbles turn on stops vs. ranks, etc., but ACCH maintains Is it a theatre organ? It's not in a theatre, it's not in a church, it's not really voiced like a TO, but many TO's weren't, etc. It's very important in that it's one of only two organs with a 64' rank; the other is in the Sydney Town Hall in Australia. Brrrrrr goes the 64' rank, & you have to have a huge room for it anyway. There are some folks who've transplanted some of the Wurlitzers which had 32' ranks into rooms (auditoria, whatever) that are too small to allow the wave to develop!

Gordon: no joke on the unification of Comptons. They got the idea faster & better than Wurlitzer. Lots of people re-spec Wurlitzers at re-build to increase the unification. Issues of preservation come up here, along with demands for 'modern' expectations of TO sound & performers.

The RCMH Wurlitzer is indeed the largest organ originally installed by Wurlitzer. Its pedigree is spotty though: When the contract was put out for bids, Kimball submitted a bid & the spec for the organ. Wurlitzer then went back to RCMH & told them they could put the same organ in for a lower price. They used the Kimball spec at least on the console, but much of the pipework was just slightly re-voiced Wurlitzer stuff off the shelf masquerading as different ranks spec'd by Kimball. The RCMH organ has, honestly, never been considered one of the best Wurlitzer installations in other respects, too. Besides not sounding the hottest, there are lots of stories of its being just thrown in, wires just twisted together & other sloppiness, it speaks through awkward tone chutes which were found to be full of construction junk later, etc. During the last remodel at RCMH, the original electropneumatic relays were junked, the relay rooms re-purposed for other uses, & an electronic relay installed. Supposedly it would be 100% reliable, but there have been rumors about it, too.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, Steve ... I got the wrong organ. Sorry.

It appears the one you're looking for is in the Jim Krughoff collection (I'm not sure where he lives in Il, tho). Here's a page from an old CATOE publication telling a bit about it:

CATOE April, 2002

I've met Jim a couple of times at Band Organ Rallies, but haven't been to his collection .. which also includes many mechanical music instruments (a wonderful 97-key Steenput (Belgian) Concert Fairground Organ, for example). Nothing compares to the Sanfilippo Collection in scope and magnificence of display, but the Krughoff's have been enthusiasts for far longer and know more about the instruments themselves. The Sanfilippo's simply have the most $$$ and can afford 'the best', including full-time curators and restorers. [Big Grin]

Ron Yost

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to see so much interest in pipe organs. [beer]
After about 7 months I'm just about through installing 17 ranks in my home. I've got pictures is anyone cares to see 'um. Send me an email and I'll forward a few shots to 'ya.

Don

Andrew Rossetti
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 09:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Rossetti   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Rossetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The organ that came from the Organ Stop in Phoenix was re dedicated at the Krughoff residence on August 5, 1989. I had the pleasure of hearing the organ at Organ Stop played by Walt Strony. Walt also did an album on this organ after is was placed in the Krughoff home. The album is called Phoenix and is on the Digital SOnic Productions label. At the time of the re dedication, it was a 33 rank instrument.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: