Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Blues Brothers" Voted Best Soundtrack

Author Topic: "Blues Brothers" Voted Best Soundtrack
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-08-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this on the net. Don't know if I quire agree with "their" opinion of it but it is good.

Here's the link....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5641031/

‘Blues Brothers’ called best soundtrack
Music from Belushi-Ackroyd film edges 'Pulp Fiction' in poll

The Associated Press
Updated: 1:14 p.m. ET Aug. 8, 2004LONDON - "The Blues Brothers" was rated the best movie soundtrack in a British straw vote. It nipped the soundtracks of "Pulp Fiction" and "Trainspotting" in a vote conducted for British Broadcasting Corp. digital radio.

"It's a `Sound of Music' for hipsters, a film that lives and breathes music," said Andrew Collins, who drew 10,000 voters for his survey.

The stars of the 1980 film, John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, sang several of the songs including "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" and the theme from "Rawhide." Guest appearances included Ray Charles in "Shake Your Tailfeather," James Brown in "The Old Landmark," Aretha Franklin in "Think" and Cab Calloway with "Minnie the Moocher."

Not one of the top 10 in the BBC vote placed in a similar survey done three years ago by British radio station Classic FM, in which "Star Wars" came in first, followed by "Gone With the Wind" and "Lawrence of Arabia."

The BBC vote for best film soundtrack: 1. "The Blues Brothers," 2. "Pulp Fiction," 3. "Trainspotting," 4. "Saturday Night Fever," 5. "Dirty Dancing," 6. "Grosse Point Blank," 7. "Kill Bill" Vols. 1 and 2, 8. (tie) "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Lost in Translation" and 10. "Fight Club."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a great soundtrack, but Danny will be furious because Rocky Horror didn't win, or even make it ON the list. [Razz]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-08-2004 05:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Purr Danny. Purr, Purr Danny. [uhoh]

Ummm... neither did "Shock Treatment" or any of Barbra Streisand's films make it. [thumbsup]

>>> Phil

[ 08-08-2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-09-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Blues Brothers" ought to get some kind of attention anyway for being one of the few movies without a "score." The whole musical soundtrack is songs, there is nary a "John Williams" type in sight anywhere. (Except for the "Ride of the Valkyries" scene where the Pinto falls in to the street, but even that is a record.)

Not dissing John Williams, he's great. But in this movie, he just wasn't necessary.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-09-2004 01:58 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ride of the Valkyries is by Wagner, not by Williams.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-09-2004 01:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot Peter Gunn by Henry Mancini. [Wink]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 02:52 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmer Bernstein (yessirreebob, a film composer) wrote the neat little chunk of "God Music" for when the Blues Brothers get religion at James Brown's church.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 04:01 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's not unusual for a film to have no score. it's just unusual for a hollywood movie. many french films, for example, have no score or extradiegetic sound at all.

carl

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-09-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael - I knew that, I was just referring to the John Williams TYPE score that usually accompanies movies these days.

I will admit to forgetting about the "Jesus H. Tapdancin' Christ! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!" scene music by Bernstein though.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Forrest Gump wasn't on that list. I swear to god, that's the only music Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. in the Mall of America plays...

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blues Brothers is quite possibly one of the best movies ever made.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: