Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » USB Jump drive problem...

Author Topic: USB Jump drive problem...
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-08-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I plug in a USB Jump drive to my USB port, it shows up in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' window, but it dosn't appear in the regular Explorer window. I'm using WinXP home with a laptop. Any ideas?

I followed the Windows 'troubleshooter'; god, what a waste. Every problem ends up with 'Windows can not resolve your problem...'

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-08-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used XP Home, but if its anything like 2k and XP Pro, it sounds like the device hasn't been assigned a drive letter. Right-click 'My Computer', select Manage, then Disk Management. Since the hardware has been detected, the physical drive should be there, no device driver needs to be loaded for this thing to be seen as a disk. You should then be able to choose a drive letter to assign to this device.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem, sort of.

When you install a flash drive, it appears to want the next drive letter after the physical drives.

So a two partition drive, and a CD would be C:, D:, and E:. The drive would want to take F: as that is next physical drive letter. If you happen to have mapped drives, then it may be conflicting with mapped drive.

Get to Disk Management and see if you can see the removeable drive. Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: