Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Here's to the morons you work with: complain here

Author Topic: Here's to the morons you work with: complain here
Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 06:08 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's to my either:
  1. misinformed
  2. ignorant
  3. inexperienced
  4. thoughtless
    or
  5. careless
co-workers who:
  • thread projectors and soundheads with loops wider than tied shoelaces
  • refer to the payout control arm as "magic fingers" (of no importance -- just a pet peeve)
  • can't thread a movie in frame
  • don't see anything wrong with film laying on the floor
  • see nothing wrong with not taping down head leaders on broken-down prints
  • refer to the soundhead flywheel as the shutter timer, and in fact, have no clue what purpose shutter timing serves
  • blindly spray WD-40 into the payout assembly of a platter

|  IP: Logged

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 06:50 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Angry, young man - the 2004 version of James Dean just got out of the closet ! [beer]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to my great friends at work who start their movies late when I have to close... [fu]

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People might not want to post about there own co-workers due to that other people form work get affended and tell some one.

But since i dont work for crown theaters no more it safe so say.
Had one person who run the show in the wrong lense/aputer plate. Some time for the "entire" show and worse all the shows for that shift. some times multi projs a day. He was told/shown about them. but i stop keepting track after the 30+ times in a 2-3 mounth peroid. Even had customers write to home office about it. Management, district, and home office must not care about it as nothing as happen to solve the problem, this as up to when i left the company.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I scream enough about my coworkers while I'm at work.

But I would like to note that coworkers who make their loops to imitate straight lines, i.e. my coworkers are also extremely aggravating.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to turn this thread around and THANK all the people I work with.

You see, I manage the most perplexing movie theatre. It is busy when other theatres are slow. The kids can be in school, every normal person at work - and *POOF* a thousand people show up out of nowhere on a Monday afternoon matinee. Of course there is usually no rhyme or reason for it - it just happens. Then the weekends - "fughet about it" - we get our asses handed to us on a plate. For an 11 screen theatre - it cranks.

I am not just making this up. I have managed over thirty locations, ranging from 4 screens all the way up to 24 screens. This little 'pocket-rocket' theatre can run with the big boys.

Hence - my "Thanks" to all the managers and employees with whom I work: Gordon Hedges, Ozzie Harris, and Beth Smith are three that stick out for this past summer season. All the kids too - who work ten times harder than any other theatre employee that I have worked with at other locations.

Do I have my complaints? Sure I do... But considering the circumstances - those complaints pale in comparison to all the hard work that gets done.

[thumbsup]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 11:51 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, you have to time your shutters so that you do not have any image ghosting on screen. Basically if it is not in time with the intermitten you will see the first or last part of the frame before it stops completely.

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 08-13-2004 12:04 AM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My name gets mentioned on a post about MORONS YOU WORK WITH: COMPLAIN HERE? What is that all about? Oh, it wasn't a complaint. Maybe I should say, "Thanks?" (could be a good time to ask for a raise, too [Cool] )

I too have some complaints I could bring up but, as Dennis mentioned, the performances sometimes overpowers them. There have been times in the past where we have these 'surprise' rushes and I have had inexperienced employees, but I feel like they learn more from these episodes than a dull Wednesday matinee shift. [sleep]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-13-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's mine -- on my current job as an OTR truck driver. All my loads are "drop and hook"; I drop a loaded trailer at a distribution center/warehouse, and hook to either another loaded trailer or an empty, for transit to another location.

Last night, I roll into Worcester, MA at about 2am. This particular location has a work yard, and an auxillary yard for extra trailers, less than a mile away, next to the airport. As I proceed back into the DC's work yard, I get on the CB and ask the yard jockey (i.e., a driver employed by the customer, who shuttles trailers in and around the loading docks), "Hey, ya got any empties back here for me?" He comes back with, "10-4", which means yes.

I drop my trailer and hook up to an empty. Then, the yard jockey pulls up next to my tractor and says in a snide voice, with his dopey Worcester accent, "I said theh aiehpaht (airport)! What ahh you tryin ta do? Yah not gahhing to slip out of heah with a trailahh like that. This is the second week in a row you've done this tah me!!" He was accusing me of trying to steal trailers!

Now, what I haven't mentioned was that he'd pulled this same stunt the previous week... only I gave him the benefit of the doubt then and apologized that I must have misunderstood him. Tonight, I was listening carefully, and he'd clearly replied in the affirmative on the radio.

At this point, I got mad and shouted back, pointing my finger, "NO! I ASKED IF YOU HAD 'ANY EMPTIES BACK HERE FOR ME', AND YOU SAID 10-4!! I was fit to be tied. He shot back and accused me of trying to pull one over on him, as the yard empties were slated to be loaded.

I didn't let him have the last word, though, continuing to shout at him, veins sticking out of my neck, while he backed his tractor away from mine.

I was so damned mad at this imbecile, I had my fleet manager file a complaint with the customer. Come to find out, I'm not the only driver he'd had a run-in with. What a jerk!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2004 08:10 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert L. Fischer
refer to the soundhead flywheel as the shutter timer, and in fact, have no clue what purpose shutter timing serves
quote: Chris Hipp
Robert, you have to time your shutters so that you do not have any image ghosting on screen. Basically if it is not in time with the intermitten you will see the first or last part of the frame before it stops completely.
I think Robert knows why you time a shutter. He's saying he's mad a people who call the fly wheel a shutter timer and they don't know why you time a shutter or how it's done.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-14-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tell 'em that this is a procedure which must be carried out while the projector motor is running. Then watch the fingers fly... [evil]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well excuuuuse me...I was just trying to help. Just joking.

Now I am not going to call anyone a moron, it is not their fault that they were trained poorly, by me of course. However, I go in to work today and one of the managers tells me that the masking is messed up on AVP. This is one of our few side masking houses and the masking would not open. They got complaints from customers that it was overshooting, so what do they do?? Well, instead of move the masking out they put tape on the portglass to cover up the overshooting....very unprofessional indeed. As soon as the house dropped I taught them how to move the masking by hand in an emergency.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 02:30 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to put up with a "superior" who would sulk for the rest of the day when he saw me use keyboard short-cuts (Alt+F sort of things) instead of the mouse.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: