Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I got my wisdom teeth pulled this afternoon... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I got my wisdom teeth pulled this afternoon...
Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 08:10 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and it really sucks.

It hurts to eat anything, even ice cream. I can't drive and I can't work today or tomorrow. I can't spit. I can't brush my teeth. I can't swish water around in my mouth to rinse out the blood. I hope I don't look like a chipmunk when I go back to work on Saturday night.

Any suggestions for food that doesn't hurt? I found out that anything warm makes my gums hurt.

I suppose I should look at the bright side. I can lay on the couch and watch all the movies I want, and it's only a half hour til my next dose of vicatin [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-12-2004 08:12 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for "dry sockets" -- get on antibiotics at the first sign of any general infection (a fever), which can happen quickly.

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an infection when my wisdom teeth were pulled. The surgeon had to shove gauze treated with some kind of dressing into the socket, not a pleasant experience.

They put me on Percoset and let's just say, its effects made me feel like no surgery had taken place.

Edit: Drinking a milk shake can be a good idea, but you might want to wait a while for it to thin up because it'll hurt like hell to drink a thick milkshake through a straw. Any kind of soup with few to no solid bits in it is good also.

[ 08-12-2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: James B. Openshaw ]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 08:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.. that was not a fun thing to have done. I ended up being allergic to the anasthetic; threw up every hour for 12 hours after surgery! Not fun to throw up when you just had mouth surgery.

So... see how much better off you are than some people? [Big Grin]

Danny

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-12-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, mine were coming in sideways and underneath into my other teeth and were starting to screw up my orthodontics. The doc had to go in and literally cut away and pull back my gums, then dig to pull the widsom teeth out by the side. The doc and his assistant ended up getting pretty well covered with blood, as was I. I think I got 5 shots to deaden the area, but it didn't work. Not fun. You got it easy. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-12-2004 09:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dry socket is no picnic. I had it on both the left and right on my lower jaw. No problems on the upper ones.

One of my bouts with dry socket ended abruptly while I was watching a 70mm print of "Black Rain" at Loews 34th Street East theater in Manhattan. My right lower jaw was aching like crazy and the stitches were irritating the hell out of my gums. I tensed my jaw up and popped one of the stitches loose. That caused just enough bleeding to cover up the exposed bone in the empty wisdom tooth socket. That equaled instant relief. I literally let out an "aaahhh" and smiled.

Some people get their wisdom teeth extracted under general anasthesia. I just had the local injections and it took a lot of them. Thankfully, I didn't get all four taken out at once. Did the left side in one appointment and the right side on the other. My wisdom teeth weren't giving me any problems, but they were on their side pointing forward at the other teeth. I figured while I still had military dependent benefits I might as well get it done rather than have it cost me a fortune later on in life.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-12-2004 09:37 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Shane, since all the other posters want to avoid your question and solicit sympathy for themselves, I just to let you know that when I had all my 4-wisdom teeth removed, the only thing could eat for a week was chocolate malts and chicken soup.

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-12-2004 09:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Shane, since all the other posters want to avoid your question and solicit sympathy for themselves, I just to let you know that when I had all my 4-wisdom teeth removed, the only thing could eat for a week was chocolate malts and chicken soup.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-12-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
JFC!

I don't believe Manny went and stole my post!

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-12-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JFC!

I don't believe Phil went and stole my post!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-12-2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, mine didn't need to be pulled!!! [Smile] I did have another tooth pulled though for other reasons, it sucks. I lived off cooled down soup for a couple days, try some broth or tomato soup, something without chunks.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-12-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided that it would be in my best interest to just not grow any wisdom teeth in the first place. I am the next step in human evolution! That would also explain the extra 2 nipples, perhaps. [Smile]

(Now waiting for a post from Phil... or anybody for that matter... about how lack of growing wisdom teeth obviously means lack of wisdom)

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had mine pulled in 1976. Lived on lukewarm chicken noodle soup for about 3 days.

Funny thing happened. While being driven home after the surgery by my mother, we stopped to fill a prescription. I stayed in the car with the air conditioner going. For some unexplained reason, I locked the doors and went to sleep. It took my mom and several guys from the pharmacy about 15 minutes to get me to wake up and unlock the door.

You will probably look like a chipmunk when you go to work. Sorry.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-12-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Joe. I just don't have any to begin with.

The dentist went poking around for a while and kept going "Huh. Odd."
Then he removed his fingers and said "Kid, you don't have any wisdom teeth!"

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-12-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
(Now waiting for a post from Phil... or anybody for that matter... about how lack of growing wisdom teeth obviously means lack of wisdom)
Phil hates it when someone knows what he's going to say before he says it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: