Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Julia Child passes

Author Topic: Julia Child passes
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 10:21 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News reports just stated that Julia Child, long time cooking phenom passed away in her sleep at the age of 91.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-13-2004 11:05 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
Julia Child, long time cooking phenom passed away in her sleep at the age of 91.

You don't have to eat only rice cakes to live long. She showed us how to make and enjoy heavenly food -- now she can do it up there. Bon Appetit, Julia! [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-13-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julia Child was a one-of-a-kind. [beer]

If you've never seen Dan Aykroyd's Julia Child sketch on Saturday Night Live (from the 70s), you missed one of the funniest things ever shown on TV.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My stomach grieves. [Frown] I think I will have more butter.

I've cooked things I have seen her do on TV. They were tasty too.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 08-13-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] she was cool...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-13-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, how sad. She was cool.

Mrs. Doubtfire reminded me of her. [beer]

>>> Phil

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to watch her shows on PBS. She was an original. There will never be another like her.

Goodbye to a Great Chef!

[beer]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-13-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And who ever said that butter and butter and wine were bad for you [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-15-2004 12:47 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon
who ever said that butter and butter and wine were bad
Yes, just like smoking. Mel Blanc smoked 2 or 3 packs a day since he was 12, and he lived well into his eighties. (Yeah, I know... 'if he didn't smoke, he might have lived to be 100'... blah-blah-blah.)

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Blanc quit, & was involved in several anti-smoking organizations.

I met him in the 80s when he was touring a one-man show, & asked him if he regretted ever starting smoking.

[BLANC, PANTOMIME]

Holds up one finger briefly for attention, reaches into shirt pocket

Removes a plastic click-typ pen like those given away for advertising with the names of banks, etc. printed on the side

Holds pen up to be read, imprinted there is

DON'T SMOKE

Revolves the pen slightly to show the next line printed under it

FUCK

---

He may have bummed a cigarette now & then, though.
He was a lot of fun. I went to a restaurant with him & a bunch of radio folks afterwards to eat; that poor waitress got more [bs] from that table that night than she probably got in two years of regular customers.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-17-2004 10:44 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I never did ask her (Julia Child) if this actually did happen on her show, but when she was cooking a duck, supposedly she dropped it and picked it right up and just kind of patted its butt off and said, 'It's fine.'" --Christopher Gross, chef at Christopher's Phoenix

It is in a little hallway outside the studio of radio station WBEZ, while waiting to make a midmorning guest spot, that Julia Child is asked if that did happen on her show-if she actually dropped the duck, etc.

"I never did," she says in the ever-startled voice that is uniquely her own. "People say, 'But I saw you do that.' All I did once was, I was flipping a potato pancake and it flipped onto the stove and I picked it up and put it back in the pan and I said, 'You're alone in the kitchen'

..."It's interesting when people say, 'I saw you do it.' Or that 'I saw you pick up the bottle of wine and take a swig of it'- which I would never do. On television."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: