Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rabbit burns down cricket pavillion

Author Topic: Rabbit burns down cricket pavillion
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-13-2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A rabbit accidentally set alight by a cricket club bonfire had its revenge after taking refuge under the groundsman's hut, causing a blaze that damaged £60,000 worth of equipment.

The rabbit jumped out of the bonfire at the 150-year-old Devizes club, Wilts, with his tail on fire and disappeared beneath the hut. Eleven firemen fought the blaze, but were unable to save the equipment inside, including several mowers.

Richard Read, the ground committee chairman, said: "A volunteer was burning branches and poured paraffin over them to get the fire started. Suddenly, this rabbit shot out, on fire. It must have had paraffin poured over it and caught fire at the same time. We ran to see where it had got to but couldn't find it. We can only imagine that it bolted inside the hut because, shortly afterwards, it started burning. The fire spread to the whole place in a few minutes and there was no chance of getting anything out."

"When we told the fire brigade how it started it certainly raised a chuckle."

As an insurance assessor visited the hut yesterday, Mr Read said: "Fortunately, the roller was out on the pitch, but we lost everything else. The fine turf mower, the big diesel mower, wheelbarrows, brushes, all the bits and pieces collected over the years - all gone.

"We are appealing to any rich benefactors out there to help replace some of this equipment."

The blaze also destroyed the connections to the club's new electronic scoreboard.

Pip Flowers, the Devizes fire station commander, said he had never heard of such an incident before and regretted that it had been impossible to save the rabbit. "It's very sad for the poor thing," he said.

Link to story (registration required).

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
poor bunny. [Frown]

Too bad this didn't happen at a hunting lodge or fox hunting event.. that would be perfect. [evil]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend whose family has a pet rabbit. It roams the house after nightfall, & terrorizes the family in amazingly hostile & cruel ways. It is in no way a cuddly & sweet animal. From his reports, the rabbit is plainly psychotic.

-

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-13-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew coming right up.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-14-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Elmer Fudd voice:) Be vewy, vewy, quiet, we'we hunting wabbitts!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-14-2004 04:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WABBIT TWACKS!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-14-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's up for some four-legged chicken?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Hooper
I have a friend whose family has a pet rabbit. It roams the house after nightfall, & terrorizes the family in amazingly hostile & cruel ways. It is in no way a cuddly & sweet animal. From his reports, the rabbit is plainly psychotic
It doesn't by any chance have an ancestor that used to terrorise good King Arthur and his noble ker-niggets!
[Roll Eyes]

My brother-out-law ( his sister and I live in sin!) has a rabbit that mounts any unsuspecting cat that happens into it's territory [sex]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-17-2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
My brother-out-law ( his sister and I live in sin!) has a rabbit that mounts any unsuspecting cat that happens into it's territory

So that's how CABBITS are made!! [Big Grin]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or Rats! [Wink]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a rabbit that ran around the house. They are not intentinally mean but those back legs will cut you open very easily if they dont want to be held.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird fun with rabbits

I don't want to know, but I bet the rabbit wouldn't have anything to do with this otherwise

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: