Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Orthostatic Hypotension

Author Topic: Orthostatic Hypotension
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a youth I had low blood pressure. I am also very tall. When I would stand up suddenly after lying down for a while, the blood would rush from my head and my vision would "gray out." This would pass in just a few moments. Occasionally I would actually pass out for a second. I might wobble or even fall down. Falling down brought the blood back to my head and I would be able to stand right back up again.

As I grew older these events started to lesson in frequency and severity. I thought that it was a youth problem and I would grow out of it, which I did. What I didn't realize was that as I grew heavier, my blood pressure was going up as well. At my top weight my blood pressure was just a tick below the top end of the normal range. I wasn't worried as after all it is the normal range.

Now that I have been losing weight this phenomenon that I have learned is called Orthostatic Hypotension has returned. At first I wasn't concerned but now I am concerned enough to go and get a doctors appointment to discus it with him. Last night I watched the Olympic Opening for 4-hours. When I stood up to go to bed, I passed out. So I'm guessing that my blood pressure has dropped along with my weight.

How many people have this same thing happen to them, that when they stand up suddenly, they get light headed and almost pass out?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-14-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That happens to me from time to time, though it does seem fairly rare nowadays. In order for it to happen, I have to get up quick. But I've never passed out or wobbled because of it.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-14-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to hapen to me all the time from jr high onward, usually I'd loose my vision and my bvallence, but I rarely blacked out. . It went away about halfway through high school.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-14-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I gained weight my BP rose too. And mine was always a bit high anyway--asians have a tendency for that. So we'll see what happens as my weight comes down. I wouldn't mind seeing the BP get back down to where it was about 20 years ago--127/67. Right now the systolic is around 150--definitely hypertensive.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-14-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, this is very interesting. My BP runs about 120/72 (unless I read some lame dumbass post here, then it goes off the scale... 300/190.)

I have never had a black-out or dizzy spell or "gray" eyesight ever let alone whether getting up too fast or after sex when all my blood goes to the "little" head. Well, in my case, NOT so "little".

Seriously Ian, my concern is for you and that you passed out. I hope you did not injure yourself and hopefully someone was there to assist, help, and look out for you.

>>> Phil

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all,
Ian, hope yoiu get things worked out.

Now..

I've noticed more and more over the last 2-3 years if I'm bent down working on something with bent knees, I have the 'gray out' from time to time, for about 15-30 seconds.... I shake it off and all is well. I have also noticed that during the last two years or so that my loss of stability is getting worse as this happens. Every now and again I have to stop whatever it is I am trying to do when I stand up and wait for everything else to catch up with my head...

Wonder if this is what is going on with me as well? As it would require a doctors visit, I'll just wait until it gets a little worse before I have it checked out. I do know that my BP has been perfect for my age/height/weight the last few times I've been to the doc and to the BP tester in Wal-Mart.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 09:40 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, Ol' pal 'O' mine,

Do you know that high blood pressure is also known as 'the silent killer'?

I have low blood pressure. My family is loaded with it. Sometimes, when I stand quickly, I hear a rushing sound in my ears for a moment, and I get dizzy, also for a moment, then I'm OK. Doctors wanted to prescribe drugs to boost my pressure. I declined them. They made me feel goofy. So, here I am, a walking low-pressured time-bomb.

Jason, at least get your blood pressure checked now and then. We'd rather not hear of your passing...

Bruce

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 10:34 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,

Thanks for the advice. I might have to (or need to) make that appt. I know my mothers side of the family has a history of blood pressure problems.

It just sucks to realize that you're not invicible, to a point anyway.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-15-2004 11:02 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Dr. Dean Edell talking about this the other day. I was checking out women driving past me in a traffic jam, though, so I was only half-listening. Evidently, it's something that's fairly common, because he used it as a simile. Actually, he was talking about beheadings. He surmised that feeling is probably what the victim likely experiences, as soon as the carotid artery is severed during a beheading; they're not concious long enough for shock.

But I haven't experienced the get-up-fast-lightheaded thing since I was a child. Maybe it's because I'm so big now I can't get up fast, who knows? So eat up! [Smile] But my blood pressure always check good -- always. Although, I'm not sure how much of that is due to my heredity or the ability to slow my heart rate at will.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-15-2004 11:42 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Causes Orthostatic Hypotension?

Blood pressure is maintained by a combination of several things. The heart is the central pump, and a weak or irregular heart can cause orthostasis. Conditions such as arrhythmia, heart failure, deconditioning, and pregnancy are examples where the heart may not be up to the task of providing an adequate blood pressure.

The heart pumps blood, and if there is too little blood volume (anemia, dehydration, dialysis), the pressure drops. The blood vessels in the body also can squeeze (constrict) to raise blood pressure, and if this action is paralyzed, blood pressure may fall. Numerous medications affect blood vessels including most of the medications used for blood pressure, and many of the medications used in psychiatry and for anginal heart pain. Heat, such as a hot shower or from a fever can also dilate blood vessels and cause orthostasis. The nervous system senses and responds to regulate blood pressure. If something is wrong in this control system, blood pressure may fluctuate.

Blood pressure is usually lowered (in persons with orthostasis) by upright posture, food, infection, hyperventilation, hot weather, and lifting of heavy objects. General anesthesia may be unusually dangerous due to blood pressure fluctuations (Bevan et al, 1979).

Vestibular disorders may interact with blood pressure and heart rate control. The vestibular system is one source of information about uprightness (the otoliths), there are some effects of vestibular stimulation on the heart (Radtke, 1992), and there are some patients who have a combination of autonomic and vestibular symptoms.

Neurological disorders can also be caused by orthostasis. This usually takes the form of a TIA precipitated by a blood pressure drop (Brozman et al, 2002).

ORTHOSTATIC HYPOTENSION

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: