Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Super 16

Author Topic: Super 16
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-15-2004 05:47 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching the DVD of Derek Jarman's 'The Tempest' last night.

There is a commentary by Toyah Wilcox and Peter Middleton (the cinematographer) Peter didn't have much do say, but, when asked about the Academy aspect ratio of the film he gave as one of the reasons for its use, the fact that super 16 was not available at the time. The film was released in 1979.

I thought that super 16 was introduced sometime in the early to mid '70s. Is my memory failing me?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-15-2004 06:39 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1974 according to Barry Salt's Film Style and Technology.

It might have been that cameras and lab facilities weren't readily available in Britain at the time. For example, you can't just stick super 16 stock through the same developing tanks as standard 16 - they have to be fitted with special recessed rollers which support the film in a different way, to prevent abrasion on what would have been the soundtrack area.

If memory serves me correctly, super 16 took off in British TV production in the mid-'80s when everyone thought that HDTV was going to materialise.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-15-2004 06:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's possible.

When it was introduded there was no thought of using it for video, which was firmly 4:3 for many more years. It was intended for use only as a 35mm widescreen blow-up format, but didn't seem to be much used.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say that the Eclair NPR was the first camera to be modded into the Super 16 format. It was simple thing to do by opening up the aperature, installing an offset "C" mount adaptor, machining the various rollers for no contact of the picture area and marking the ground glass for the Super 16 format. I have a late 70's American Cinematographer mag stored around here that has the article about this. Today HDTV has brought an entirely new life back into this format. Alot of the nature stuff broadcast on PBS-HD is originated in Super 16. Of course I was pushing for VistaVision to be the HDTV origination format of choice but that just didn't happen....... [Frown]

Mark

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 16 was invented by Swedish cinematographer Rune Ericson. He wrote an article about the format in American Cinematographer (1970, I think), and he shot the first Super 16 feature directed by Vilgot Sjöman called Lyckliga Skitar.
Back then, the format was lovingly called "Runescope"!

Ericson also shot the first film in 3-perf 35mm camera format:

Mälarpirater

Rune Ericson was honored with an Academy Award in 2001:

Article on Rune Ericson

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right ono that one and thats the American Cinematographer I've got here.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: