Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kids Attack Quarter Ton Bee Hive With Rocks! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kids Attack Quarter Ton Bee Hive With Rocks!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-16-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dam, and I'm alergic to bee stings from the female bee.... One this big is almost hard to comprehend..... The article fomr CNN and the link.....
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/08/16/bees.reut/index.html

Monday, August 16, 2004 Posted: 12:43 PM EDT (1643 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Kids throwing rocks stirred up more trouble than they bargained for when they dislodged a swarm of bees from an enormous hive built in the wall of a Southern California apartment building, authorities said on Friday.

An estimated 120,000 bees held residents of the apartment building and nearby homes hostage in Santa Ana, California after the children pelted their 500 pound (227 kg) hive with rocks on Thursday, Santa Ana Fire Captain Steve Horner said.

Several people, including firefighters, news reporters and a TV cameraman, reported being stung and at least two people were taken to a hospital with multiple stings, Horner said.

Firefighters cordoned off a four-block area to allow the bees to calm down and return to their hive.

An exterminator later fogged the hive and vacuumed out 40,000 dead bees, then set a trap for returning worker bees, of which about 80,000 were captured, Horner said.

The quarter-ton honeycomb, which may have accumulated inside the apartment wall for years, was so big it was threatening the structural integrity of the two-story building, Horner said.

They ought to tear the building down around the hive and put it on display somewhere.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 08:30 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, that would freak me out to find out that 120,000 bees were living in my wall.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-16-2004 08:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! What a stupid stunt! Sure brings back memories...

...like the time my brother and I were elementary school brats in Burkburnett, Texas while my father was away in Okinawa and the dying days of Vietnam. Well. To get to the actual story.

My brother and I are walking home from school, but stop at this old, abandoned house next to the railroad tracks. We took a look inside and found this big hornets nest hanging from the ceiling. It seemed as soon as we found it we were throwing rocks at it. The whole nest came down to the floor in a thump, unleashing a cloud of mad yellow jackets.

Both of us dashed to get the hell out of the place. But my brother's foot went through a rotten floorboard. I was already outside and he burst out into the lawn swarmed around the head and chest. We couldn't get all of them off. Some guy stopped his car and ran out to help. He had a brush and literally had to comb those wasps out of my brother's hair!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-16-2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, kids sure are fucking stupit!

I remember very well when I was about 13, my friend and I found this yellow jacket nest in the ground and decided to stomp on it to close it.

Well, of course, that only got them mad as hell and as we stomped, they went up our pant legs and started stinging us.

You never saw 2 two 13 y/o boys strip naked soooo fast and run home nude in your life!

>>> Phil

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 09:03 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We finally find the source of Phil's nude fetish!!! [puke] [Big Grin] [evil]

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 01:53 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe those kids are providing a perfect example of the Darwin principle, People contributing to the gene pool by trying to remove themselves from it. If only the bees had won.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 02:02 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

ROFLMAO. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Funny story Phil. Now can anyone imagine that stunt being staged again with Phil at his current age? Hubba Hubba! [Eek!]

I wonder if the building had rights to the hive, and thus the possible honey supply. They may have been able to harvest it?

AJG

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 06:31 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Always stop & think: does this look like something Wile E. Coyote would do?"

WHO IS TEACHING THESE KIDS?

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 03:07 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sure everyone thinks these kids are stupid...but who can say they didnt do this as a kid. although I wouldnt have thrown rocks, i would have blown it up or set it on fire...just a part of growing up [Smile]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 2 bee instances , one as a curious kid , wanting to invade the hive and take their freshly made honey, australian natural bush honey is one of the worlds best.

Protection was needed , so I donned heavy clothing and covered myself with dry cleaning bags , and in for the raid.

The bees were ready , and in the first 8 seconds , over half of them were inside the drycleaning armour and stinging !

I bolted , ripping of the plastic , suffering several stings and loosing my favourite pocket knife. Following that , I was convinced the supermarket was a far better place to buy honey.

20 years later............... while on a beach camping trip , and in a very dry year our campsite was invaded by bees, they posed no real threat , but a close friend I was with had bad allergies to them. After a day or two we discovered they were after water , I , playing the bush scientist decided to fill a few dishes with water, a place them away from our campsite , thinking the bees would all move over there, not realising that bees talk ! word travelled , 80% of the bees in West Australia were told of the abundance of water where we were.

The following day ........... I would say we had about 90 billion bees in the camp!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually several exterminators I know will discharge a twin 12 guage shotgun into the ground above a inground wasp nest and the percusive shock kills them dead

Also a spray bottle with a 10% soap sollution will kill them if they get coated as it stops them from abosirbing oxygen through there skin
I have used one of those lawn fertilizer sprayers that mix water with fertilizer bottle filled with soap on a stick aimed at there nest overnight and in the morning the ground is govered with the dead ones and the nest is so waterlogged it collapses

Also if you have a good electrical circuit an large bug zapper near there nest can provide an interesting evening light show

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PLOP!! There goes another pellet of chlorine falling into the gene pool!

For ground hornets, ants, termites or just about any other icky thing that lives underground, just pour a gallon or two of gasoline down the hole. You don't even have to light it. Just pour and walk away. I don't know any underground critter that can live through that. (Except for, maybe, those things in the movie, Tremmors! [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-19-2004 03:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
For ground hornets, ants, termites or just about any other icky thing that lives underground, just pour a gallon or two of gasoline down the hole.
Not a good idea. [thumbsdown] First, you will likely be violating environmental regulations. Second, if you ever try to sell the property, and it fails any mandated testing for residual chemicals in the ground, you will have rather massive clean-up costs to deal with before you can sell the property. Old gas stations, metal-plating shops, and dry cleaners are often hit with these issues.

A gasoline tanker truck flipped over and burned in Rochester last summer. They are still cleaning up the mess, hauling away truckloads of contaminated soil. The cleanup costs must be enormous. [Eek!]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and these people didn't notive the bee-hive before? derrrrrrr

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I agree with John Pytlak, I have previously destroyed many groundbee hives in the way Randy described. Actually, the best time to destroy any hive is about 15 minutes after sunset so as you're guaranteed to kill every last one of those sons of bitches as they settle in for the night.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: