Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ceiling at the Sequoia Theater in Marin Collapsed today

Author Topic: Ceiling at the Sequoia Theater in Marin Collapsed today
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ceiling Collapse at Marin Movie Theater

1 hour, 59 minutes ago

CBS5.com Staff

A ceiling collapsed at a Marin County movie theater Monday, sending three people to the hospital.

In all, about 30 people were hurt during an afternoon showing of "Garden State" at the Sequoia Theater in Mill Valley when the ceiling fell in. City inspectors were looking for a cause, but at least one patron said she felt moisture as well as falling plaster.

The 1929 Art Deco building was renovated five years ago and split into two theaters. It was the theatre on the north side where the ceiling collapsed.

The historic theater was closed Tuesday, and owners had not announced when they planned to reopen.

For more Bay Area news and information, visit cbs5.com and www.kcbs.com.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=350&e=4&u=/kpix/20040817/lo_kpix/10959

Here's a link about the theater itself
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/3228/

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 03:57 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also see:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/17/BAGTI89BJ21.DTL
[Frown]

MILL VALLEY
Ceiling collapses in historic theater
Accident happened at bargain matinee; 3 hospitalized

Expecting an afternoon of light comedy, dozens of moviegoers got a scare worthy of a disaster film Monday when a portion of the ceiling caved in at Mill Valley's historic Sequoia Theatre.

Three people were injured seriously enough to require hospitalization, and about 30 others were treated at the scene.

The frightening accident occurred at about 5:15 p.m., about 20 minutes into the bargain matinee showing of "Garden State."

"There was a cracking sound, and a big piece came down, and I thought it was odd,'' said Holly Laurie of Novato, who suffered several small cuts on her arm. "This wasn't the kind of movie where you'd think they'd have special effects. Then I realized it wasn't special effects.''

Laurie and her daughter, Hilary Laurie, said the plaster and insulation that struck them was soaking wet, dampening their hair and clothing. Authorities at the scene said it was too early to tell what had caused the collapse.

The 650-seat twin theater first opened in 1929 and has served as the home of the Mill Valley Film Festival each October. It is owned by the Blumenfeld family but operated by the Century Theatres chain.

In 1999, the theater was renovated by Plath & Company General Contractors of San Francisco. According to the company's Web site, at that time the theater's marquee and lobby were refurbished.

Capt. Jesus Bernal of the Mill Valley Police Department said a "pretty sizable chunk of plaster" had fallen into the front portion of the theater. Fortunately, most of the audience was seated in the rear balcony of the auditorium.

Theatergoers were covered with dust and plaster and were trying to shake it out of their hair and clothing as firefighters rendered medical help.

Gerrit Wagner of Mill Valley estimated the size of the collapse as 20 by 20 feet. "Once the ceiling came down, there was screaming and yelling,'' he said. "It was total chaos. I came out the front. I saw a girl leaning against the wall with blood on her face, screaming. I was just having an afternoon at the movies -- a very unusual experience for going to the movies.''

The three most seriously injured people were listed in stable condition at an area hospital, Bernal said.

Hal Sawyer, a vice president for Century Theatres, said the building would be closed "until further notice." Film festival founder and director Mark Fishkin said he had been assured that the theater would be open in time for the festival.

Jessica Libien of Mill Valley heard a cracking and rumbling noise just before the collapse. "We thought it was part of the movie at first, and then it was like a domino effect,'' she recalled, holding an ice pack to her head after being hit by debris. "It started in front of us, and then the whole thing came down. It was the scariest thing I've ever dealt with. I didn't know if I could get out.''

Yaelle Smart of Greenbrae got through the ceiling collapse without serious injury and said she'd like to go back to see the end of the film. She noted that theater employees in their haste to evacuate the building hadn't issued any passes for the bargain-price showing.

"It wasn't such a bargain,'' retorted a friend.

Chronicle Staff Writer Charlie Goodyear contributed to this report.E-mail the writers at srubenstein@sfchronicle.com and pfimrite@sfchronicle.com.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$10 says they had regular and/or massive roof leaks over that area, & there were visible signs of deterioration. That's almost always the case with ceiling plaster detaching like that, with or without the metal lath behind still attacked. There would have been visible signs of water discoloration & hairline cracks. And that occasional 'tick' sound in the quiet auditorium.

Plaster gets very, very hard as it gets older, but also less flexible. Large inpours of water either rust the metal lath behind away, or soften large areas of plaster, make them heavy, then the periphery of the area distorts. After it detaches in enough places, the weight pulls it down.

The owners will probably say, "Oh, these old buildings! They're always falling apart! This is why new buildings don't use this!" No, new buildings used dropped acoustical tile ceilings because they're cheaper & acoustic treatment comes with it. If they'd had acoustical tile ceilings, they'd have had 2 or more sets fall in & replaced already.

This is a maintenance & liability issue. If it's not water, it's going to be another maintenance issue, like one 1927 theatre I know of with a HORRIBLY trashed attic & about 16% of the ceiling suspension wires disconnected. When the city bought the building, the doofus "inspectors" said it didn't matter. Distortion alone is going to be hazardous, & a bad roof leak after some tropical storm or hurrican is going to hasten the day when it all comes down. Then they'll say "Oh, these old buildings!"

I've gotten to the point where I can make a lot of sound judgments about the people who run an historic theatre by looking at the state of their attic.

I almost got beaned by a large 12' x 12' ish section that fell down about 16' away while I was working in a theatre. Constant leaks, deteriorated lath, previous 'repairs' by spackle & paint.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: