Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Food Poisoning Sucks! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Food Poisoning Sucks!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it was yesterday at 4 in the mornig I awoke with pains in the stomach. I had had diahreea on and off four three days, I thought it would clear itself up as simple food poisioning had alwats done in past years, but not this case! The girlfriend took me to the emergency room at Lakeview three hours later and it was confirmed... and the bacteria had also spread to my urinary tract. Got the usual antibiotics and such and feel about 20% better today but man a bad case of food poisoning sure gets one down! Anyone else ever had a bad case of this stuff? Not sure where I picked it up from either....

Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-25-2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once, a long time ago, in a land far away.. Arizona.. the place.. jack in the box...

hint

NEVER EAT THERE...

Ciao

Dave

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i have, got it form taco bell in 1998. Also turns out severl peole got it form there. Took about 3 days and i was good to go. I have nto ate at a taco bell since.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-25-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add a Las Vegas Red Lobster to the list.
Along with the Denny's in Hays, Kansas.
And the Marlboro (Up)Chuck Wagon at the Arizona State Fair.

All of those places were memorable, for all the wrong reasons.
Once I get sick in a place, I never go back. [puke]

[ 09-19-2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-25-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I get sick every time I go to ShoWest. The first year it was the Rio buffet (which I will never patronize again), the second year it was some cafe in the hotel next to Bally's (of which I will also never patronize again, complete with sick waitress sneezing on the food) and last year it wasn't food poisioning...it was just Vegas itself. I have decided Vegas is evil. Yet I will probably end up going again this year, for as Ian put it best, ShoWest isn't about seeing the show after the first year, it's about seeing all of the friends you know in the industry. [Cool]

I have also gotten food poisioning at the Wendy's in Plano on Park Blvd and at the UA Berkeley back when I was managing it. Now food poisioning is bad enough as it is, but the UA one was beyond what words can describe and noone should ever have to go through that kind of pain. Turns out the genuises had built the theater with water lines and sewage lines running alongside each other under the slab. The foundation shifted and cracked the pipes somehow. Ended up that sewage was getting into the water lines. One of my best employees also got very sick from it too. I think I told the story in more detail somewhere in the Yak archives. I'm sure John Pytlak will be along shortly to provide a link. [Wink]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 11:31 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had it, don't want it, & if I ever make it to Showest, come lunchtime I will stay far away from Brad as it seems he is the kiss of death.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-26-2004 07:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a stupid thread. Food poisening is AWESOME!

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Food Poisoning SUCKS I got it from a piece of beef jerky from a speedway (it was not expired)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"ShoWest isn't about seeing the show after the first year, it's about seeing all of the friends you know in the industry."

I've always done some buisness when I've been there and about every five years some manufacturer has something new to show. But I'm glad that at least two others here feel the same way I do about it. I know people that have been going there for years and still have not figured that one out.... or perhaps they just don't have any friends.... Anyway, seeing friends there every year is what has kept me going to Showest all these years, really nothing else.

Luckily, I've never gotten Food Poisioning when I've been in Vegas, about 40 times now. Also never really had any awful food there either.... so I've been lucky I guess in that respect, and I eat seafood alot. I find I can take about 3 days max of Vegas.... ditto for places like L.A. and N.Y.C.

Mark

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't blame the food service, all it takes is one employee who failed to wash his or her hands thoroughly after defecating and then handling food or dishes.

As my wife says, most common food poisoning comes from eating shit -- other people's or one's own. The bacteria so necessary for digestion work in the digestive tract, but cam be left on the flush handle, stall doorknob, etc. and transferred to an unsuspecting victim.

Best prevention is to wash hands with soap and water after using the bathroom, and before eating or touching food.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-26-2004 11:43 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Food poisoning.....Garlic crabs at a now closed restuarant in Miami....my partner and where sick for a month. We used to register for full convention at ShoWest and the food poisoning and the extra pounds from the banquet food was enoungh for us to stop the practice after two years....the water from the tap in Las Vegas is a little hard to take. I have traveled to 21 countries and I have been damn lucky that my cast iron stomach works well with little problems...my partner gets more "stomach flu" since he is the type to try a food stand in an alley somewhere [puke]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't blame the food service, all it takes is one employee who failed to wash his or her hands thoroughly after defecating and then handling food or dishes."

I will certainly agree with that part but food thats out on a buffett type restaurant also has to be kept hot enough to be able keep bacteria from growing on it. Cold food is a big problem in Vegas at some of the smaller buffets and these are the ones I generally stay away from. Huge turnover buffets are generally the least likely to have this problem since the food is put out and gone in less than 10 min. and then a new tray is brought out again. The food is always hot and fresh this way and less likely to be contaminated.

Mark @ CLACO

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-26-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, what Gerard said! I was in the men's room of a McDonald's here in Eastern PA once, washing my hands at one of the sinks, amid the smell of whoever was just finishing and pulling up his trousers in the toilet stall. I hear him flush and the door flies open to reveal a McDonalds kid. As I'm drying my hands, I see him in the mirror march right on past me, past the wash basins, and straight out the door! I quickly followed to see him go behind the counter and back to work in the FOOD PREP AREA! I was incredulous. I immediately summoned a manager and said in a voice everyone could hear, "That kid back there just took a dump in the men's room and came straight out to work without washing his hands! That is inexcusable!" Although the manager corrected the situation, you know it wasn't the first time he'd done that, nor probably the last. I never went there again.

I'm in public restrooms a lot since becoming a trucker, and I'm appalled at just how many people literally think their shit doesn't stink! Not enough to wash their hands, anyway. FWIW, I've further noticed white men are the worst offenders, while blacks are the most fastidious at washing up. Just an observation from the field. I was in a truck stop restroom last week, commenting on how they let the soap dispenser run dry, when a black man said, "Well, at least you wash your hands." I agreed there was no other way, and we both knew the score.

I've also noticed Hispanics (or probably more accurately, illegal aliens) seem to grow up using the toilet differently, judging from factory and urban restrooms I have been in (like putting -ahem- used toilet paper in trash cans! That's just NASTY!) Since I've seen this in several different areas, I figured it must be a cultural thing.

Okay, enough of the potty talk! [puke]

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was fly fishing in new mexico with my dad and the both of us got food poisening (from differant sources). He got it from some crappy salsa and I got it two days later after eating a crappy cheeseburger from a mom and pop diner. I will now never eat at one of those old fashion diners, even if its life or death.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-26-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ben Holley
I will now never eat at one of those old fashion diners, even if its life or death.

As others have noted, it's the proper supervision of employees and enforcement of good food handling practice that's most important. The big restaurants and chains can be just as likely to have a problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: