Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Saying goodbye to old software

Author Topic: Saying goodbye to old software
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-28-2004 04:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm cleaning out the closet. I need room for future 'old software'..... These are the titles bound for the landfill.

"Movie Select from Paramount Interactive" Ahh, those pre- internet days. Who need this or the one from Microsoft when you have the IMDB? Regardless, though, with it's limited titles, this had dust on it shortly after I got it.

"Star Wars Dark Forces" I like this game. I think this was one of the first to put 'advisories' on the box, probably really to encourage kids to buy. This one says "RSAC Advisory - Violence: Humans Killed." Cool!

"Easy CD Creator 4" Not real old, but they introduced the 'CD guide' dude, who was pretty annoying. Besides, it was with this software I learned how many hooks Adaptec puts into your registory, and how impossible it is to get rid of it when you find NERO is better.

"Sound Blaster 16PCI" .... two of them. OK, not really sofware... but I learned how big Sound Blaster had become when they sent me the wrong flash upgrade, which after I loaded it, put the first board in never-never land. Sound Blaster told me tough luck, and wanted $30 to fix their mistake, so I just bought another one.

"IBM DOS 3.10 with BASIC" The days when an operating system that actually did good stuff fit on a 360kb floppy. GOTO dumpster END.

"Autodesk Generic CADD" I spent a lot of time learning this, only to have it dumped by Autodesk in favor of Autocad Light.

"Corel Draw 3.0" Versions 1 and 2 were not so good, but they seem to have gotten their act together by V3. Probably the only software I've stuck with for every revision - still use it today, but I'm currently only at V9 since it does everything I need for the simple drawings I do.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-28-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as CorelDRAW goes, version 9 is about all you need. I've never upgraded past this one for two reasons. One, it has most of the main features any vector drawing program needs. Two, it performs faster than the version 10, 11 and 12 upgrades. Why upgrade when the upgrades don't give you anything to get your work done faster? Application sluggishness is an even bigger problem with the more recent versions of Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand. The Adobe Studio CS suite offers some great applications; however, I would still do most of my vector art creation in Corel because it works so much faster.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-28-2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly keep old software and games. They don't take much space and sometimes I like to look at old stuff for nostalgic reasons. It reminds me of when I was young and "Prince of Persia" was the coolest game ever seen on a monitor.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a ton of old games that I can't run on my current XP system due to various compatibility issues. Next time I get a new comp or reformat my HD I think I'm going to set up a dual boat system with 98/XP so I can actually install these old dinosaurs and play them once in a while, just for kicks.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or better than dual boot, or waiting for your next PC - Microsoft Virtual PC. About a hundred bucks, then you can run W98, W95, DOS, Linux etc as guest operating systems all simultaneously on your XP desktop.

-

If you need access to multiple operating systems, for development or testing stuff, or you just want multiple installs of a product that doesnt permit it, this thing is the answer. VPC really rocks.

This is another one of those Microsoft "We liked the product so much we bought the company" things. And the really scary thing is its even better than when under Connectix's ownership...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-29-2004 02:27 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...except that it now requires a Microsoft OS as host.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 03:06 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Microsoft are a greedy, aquisitive company, but I though that the Mac was still a non-Microsoft product, and VPC is still available for Macs.

Its the OS/2ers who are the losers, as part of MS's obsession with destroying all traces of it...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: