Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hurricane Frances (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Hurricane Frances
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 07:40 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one looks like another nightmare. By the time it makes landfall in Florida (?) it could get up to a category 5 (like Andrew in 1992). There is that stretch of warm water between the Bahamas and Florida that could make this the most deadliest storm to hit the US so far this century. Good luck to all on the east coast of Florida. Especially my extended family members at the two Crown Theatre locations in Miami and Jupiter.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 09:21 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one actually has the potential to slam the eastern coast of Florida and ride the east coast all the way up through virginia. All do to the rotation of the high preasure system over the Atlantic ocean.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People aren't taking anymore chances here. Orlandonians (?) are boarding up and stocking up already. It is the largest hurricane in diameter this century.

All we can do is pray.
=TMP=

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 09-01-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll pray for you, buddy.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, it seems to looking like landfall late Saturday will be near Cape Canaveral (Kennedy Space Center). [Eek!]

Good luck to all in its path.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the AP:

"With Hurricane Approaching, Florida Calls for Evacuations
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: September 1, 2004

Filed at 5:15 p.m. ET

MIAMI (AP) -- Nearly a half-million people were ordered to evacuate as Hurricane Frances swirled toward Florida on Wednesday just weeks after Charley's devastating visit, threatening to deliver the most powerful one-two punch to hit a state in at least a century.

Those planning to ride out the storm snapped up canned food, water and generators, while military helicopters and planes were flown out of the area and Cape Canaveral's Kennedy Space Center said it would close on Thursday.

Forecasters said the still-strengthening Category 4 storm could hit on Labor Day weekend as early as Friday night, less than three weeks after Charley raked Florida's western coast with 145 mph wind, causing billions of dollars in damage and killing 27 people.

"I can't emphasize enough how powerful this is. If there's something out there that's going to weaken it, we haven't seen it," National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield said.

Gov. Jeb Bush declared a state of emergency, activating the National Guard.

Many homes in southwest Florida still have blue tarps patching holes in their roofs after Charley, and some streets remain full of storm debris that could become wind-blown projectiles.

"We've just gone through 2 1/2 weeks of torture trying to get our lives back to some sense of order," said Punta Gorda retiree Tom Hamilton.

Evacuation orders were posted for 300,000 residents in coastal areas of Palm Beach County, and 192,500 were told to leave mobile homes and low-lying areas of Brevard and Martin counties. The evacuation orders were set to take effect Thursday afternoon.

Frances was about 700 miles southeast of Florida on Wednesday afternoon, heading northwest on a course that would take it to the central portion of Florida's eastern coast. Residents of Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina watched the forecast closely in case Frances took a sharper turn to the north.

Bush cautioned that "all the science in the world and all the technology in the world isn't going to be able to pinpoint exactly where the storm goes."

Frances would be the fourth storm to affect Charleston, S.C., this summer. Bonnie and Charley arrived within days of each other in August, and Gaston dumped more than 13 inches of rain in some areas when it came ashore Sunday.

With the ground saturated from previous storms, more rain and the slightest wind could cut utility service for thousands, even if they don't take a direct hit from the storm.

"With the ground this wet, trees could easily topple," said Tom Williams, a spokesman for Duke Power in Charlotte, N.C.

The storm and the mass evacuations are sure to spoil Labor Day outings and make a mess of holiday travel across the Southeast. Florida may reverse lanes on some highways to handle the evacuation traffic, state Emergency Management Director Craig Fugate said.

If Frances hits, it could be the most potent two-hurricane combination to hit a single state in at least a century of record-keeping. Frances is as strong as Charley, but forecasters said it could become a Category 5 with winds of 156 mph or higher.

Hurricane-force winds extended about 80 miles from Frances' center, making it about twice the width of Charley and increasing the possibility for damage.

The last time two major hurricanes hit Florida in rapid succession was 1950. Hurricane Easy struck Tampa around Sept. 4 of that year and Hurricane King hit Miami six weeks later on Oct. 17. They were Category 3 storms.

Nancy Cuffaro of Port Charlotte, whose home and pizza restaurant were damaged by Charley, said she is hoping Frances spares an area that is still suffering.

"I know we can't withstand too much. I really don't know what to think here. I'm lost. It's starting to get to me," she said.

A Home Depot to the south in Florida City, hit hard by Hurricane Andrew 12 years ago, more than doubled its daily sales and ran out of generators and plywood. It sold $50,000 worth of lumber Tuesday, said assistant manager Lisa Ftiffler.

North Miami Beach resident Lorraine Lewis bought a small cooking stove in case of emergency but wasn't planning to stick around long enough to use it.

"I have water and plastic and a plane ticket," she said.

State officials worried about finding enough room in shelters. Many hotel rooms in southern Florida are occupied by emergency workers and people left homeless by Charley. Some schools and community centers are still being used as shelters.

Deanna Creamer, who rode out Charley in her house in Punta Gorda, was still repairing roof and water damage. "I heard a little bit on the radio this morning, and I shut it off," said Creamer, 40. "I just can't imagine having to go through this again."

Charley destroyed or heavily damaged more than 30,000 homes and caused an estimated $7.4 billion in insured damage. It was the worst natural disaster to hit Florida since Andrew caused $15.5 billion in insured damage and killed 15 people."

--Ron Yost .. [Frown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-01-2004 07:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Hurricane Frances ready to bulldoze through the Bahamas, I'll bet Manny Knowles is happy he moved to California!

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my parents live 5 miles from the Ocean in Melbourne, FL. They called to see if they could "crash" here for a weekend. Thomas is right, all we can do is pray... [Frown]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 12:52 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Right now, it seems to looking like landfall late Saturday will be near Cape Canaveral (Kennedy Space Center).

Good luck to all in its path.

You ppl are like to drive me crazy!
Try "Landfall probablilties are now centered around Cape Canaveral." That is more accurate, & also indicates that there is an unspecified range around the center.

"Good luck to all in its path" -- NOBODY "in its path" is going to have good luck. Anything which is in the same place as the hurricane is blowed up. Plus, NOBODY knows what its "path" is unitl it has passed.

I don't know how these ideas of the forecast tracks being sort of bike paths for the hurricane have gotten entrenched. It was evidenced when the folks in Florida evacuated 100 miles & were SHOCKED, SHOCKED when they were still hit by the hurricane.

Go to the NOAA's National Hurricane Center

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

There's a list of active tropical storms.
Under Frances, for our new graphics-fascistic world, click on "Maps & Charts". It will take you to a page with graphical representations of strike probabilities.

There's a link to a graphic of the predictions for the 5-day track

-

The line is not a streetcar line that the hurricane will be riding on. It is the MEAN of the probabilities extending from the storms present position. The white field surrounding the line which is the mean is NOT a picture of how far the rain will go out. It is the RANGE of probabilities, & you can tell that by the fact that it fans out from the storm's present position.

So the range of landfall probabilities includes all the west coast of Florida, & part of Georgia. This is why the hurricane watch area IS the entire west coast of Florida. Only slight deflection from the mean will generate a new range of strike probabilities.

Only John Hawkinson is allowed to talk about where the hurricane will go until this concept is understood!

The state of Florida is Not A Good Place To Be when the hurricane is coming, because evacuation essentially must be to get out of Florida - as can be seen from the range of strike probabilities & duration of destructive weather.

Thomas needs to head for the gulf, get on a boat & go to New Orleans, which is pretty much outside the range. The New Orleans tourist influx du weekend is Southern Decadence, which is a sort of convention of gay drunks in the French Quarter as opposed to the convention of football drunks in the French Quarter when there's some bowl game at Superdome. The drawback is as usuual the hotels are filled, but Thomas may be able to negotiate even more financially favorable terms for someplace to sleep with the Southern Decadence crowd.

The pictures are supposed to make it easy for everybody! But instead of interpreting them, people are Rorshaching all over them!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIASPFAT1+shtml/020226.shtml

This is what used to go BANG BANG BANG out of the teletype, & people seemed to get the idea. Even that table's precision is "CHANCES OF CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES OF LISTED LOCATIONS THROUGH 8PM AST SAT SEP 4 2004"

65 Nautical miles!

The storm expected to make landfall between Friday 8PM & Saturday 8PM. So at THIS time, the probabilites within 65 Nautical miles for that time period are, out of 100:

FT PIERCE FL 5
COCOA BEACH FL 6
DAYTONA BEACH FL 10
JACKSONVILLE FL 14
SAVANNAH GA 12

Look at that spread! So I guess it means Fort Pierce is the place to be! Ummm, maybe not.

But look! Only a 14% chance of it being within 65 NM of Jacksonville, anyway! Why should they sweat it? I mean c'mon, only 14% !

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-02-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of good friends of mine have a home in Kissimmee. They were lucky not to have major damage to their house. They lost their pool cage (which was pretty common in that area), but that was about it.

This time, one of my friends is packing up his kids and heading to their drive-in in Indiana. Much to his consternation, the other is staying in Florida to ride it out.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My source for accurate weather information is Weather Underground

The site is free, but with ads. Removing the ads costs only $5 per year, a fee I gladly pay. I'm on that site many times a day during bad weather. It has the most accurate weather radar, and the new charts even show the size and intensity of storms.

I agree that the science of hurricane prediction is very difficult. I just checked 5 of the leading computer models, and there is no consensus at all, although there is general agreement that the storm will hit somewhere in mid-Florida. Two show the storm moving up through Georgia, one has the storm moving across Florida, back into the Gulf, then up into the panhandle and then Georgia. The last takes the storm across Florida, back into the Gulf, THEN up into New Orleans!! We'll just have to wait and see. I've seen a number of 100% chances of winter storms go away at the last minute.

In any event, this one is going to be very nasty, and anyone anywhere close to it should pack up and get out.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-02-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are having fun since it appears Miami will get tropical storm winds by tommorrow from the east. Our office is closed this afternoon since we are in a zone for evacuation ( two blocks away from Biscayne Bay ) and we have spent most of the day making final deliveries and making structures tight. My brother, who lives in Orlando, say they are more spooked due to the previous hurricane of a few weeks ago and the fact that this storm is three times larger.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Driving by the home depot and dam they were pack, most stores stayed opend to midnight. Most store are out of plywood. Peole waiting in line for hours just to wait there turn. hopefully peopel learn there lesson and get stuff befor the hurican seasons even start. I say for my self was not ready, did last min shopping, some people even starting fighting over water. dont suprize me though. the super market i went to was very empty, 8 gas station, have no gas.

All i can say any one in the hurican area, get stuff way early, i say get most stuff at the beginng of hurican season. today seen a lot of people turned away.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently heard about the storm ( I am overseas and don't watch the local news), and tried to add insurance to some stuff that I have in storage in St. Augustine. Both the storage facility and my auto insurance are locked and can't add any additional coverage right now. Hopefully the storage unit can stand up to the winds, I think it is on a high enough elevation to keep it from flooding. I have full coverage on 1 car in storage (because of the bank loan), but I have an older corvette that I removed the full coverage because I knew I would be gone for awhile and not driving it. It's possible that in a few days, I'll have a vette listed for parts only on Ebay!

Oh yeah, in case my wife comes to this site: "I am also very concerned about all of the sentimental STUFF that is in storage too"

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my stepdad who is an electrical lineman is heading down to Florida tommorrow along with the rest of the people from the company he works for. Since they're driving the trucks down there they can only drive 10 hours a day so they'll probably make it there by Sunday, probably after most of the damage is done. They think they might be there for a month or more [Eek!] .

Funny they got the call that they were going down for Charely but they didn't end up going. Guess they really need the help this time due to Francis' size and the fact that a lot of crews are probably still working on Charley damage.

Good luck to all in the storm path, and don't worry, my dad's on his way [Cool] .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: