Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Got Win XP SP-2 .. should I install it? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Got Win XP SP-2 .. should I install it?
Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 05:15 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it from MS on a free CD. Is it worth it to install it? Has anyone here done it?? Any problems experienced with it, or wise precautions to take prior to install?? Oh, I'm running XP Pro.

I have a fairly new (1-yr.) computer with large (and almost FULL) [Eek!] hd's, and don't really want to backup everything. I do backup work-in-progress on a regular basis, tho.

Thanks for any tips, folks! [Big Grin]

Ron Yost

|  IP: Logged

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I wouldn't install it. Sure there are several security fixes, but SP does have some known issues with it.

If you are happy with your computer's performance and behavoir leave it be. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed it on three XP Pro systems with no problems. The service pack is useful if you've not been able to keep all the updates up to scratch.

That said I installed it on another XP Pro system running AOL 9 and it broke AOL. AOL 8 would work but AOL9 just won't play ball.... connectivity service problem! AOL don't seem to have any idea what the problem is or how to fix it. Their advice is to use AOL 8 or to stick with SP1 for now!

I would suggest you backup your system drive with something like Norton Ghost, which is quite painless and quick. That way you can install SP2 and try it for a couple of days. If you're not happy you can just reinstall the image and be back where you started.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of software out there that has issues with XP SP2. AOL isn't the only ISP having troubles with it. SBC warns users SP2 may cause problems with the Yahoo! web browser they offer. I forget if Enternet300 (this DSL modem software) has issues with it as well.

We have a number of expensive industry-specific graphics programs at our shop that could get broken by stuff in SP2. With XP Service Pack 1, graphics people got hit with a Postscript Type 1 font problem. Any app that didn't generate its own authentic Postscript (which includes the majority of apps out there) would not be able to access the fonts. Microsoft and Adobe had to work together to solve that problem.

While security updates to Windows are pretty important, I think I would wait for at least a month or two to allow Microsoft to patch this SP2 patch.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded it and installed it a week and a half ago. No problems at all here on AOL or Yahoo and I use both all the time. The only thing I can say that it did was to really fragment the crap out of the HD. De-fraging doesn't totally take care of it either but then I can't see any difference in how this thing is running so that shouldn't matter. I want to say that it was about a 280mb download, took a while even on DSL.

Mark

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have the old dial-up service (I use my employers dial-up name and password so it's free to me) and it took me 3-4 different nights to completely download it. I finally let it run all night the last night.

I haven't seen any real problems here since installation. I personally don't use AOL (never have, never will) so that is not an issue for me. I have known several people with AOL and it is such a pain in the rear end on it's own merit. It doesn't need service pack 2 to screw it up. I just got a disc from them in the mail yesterday. I use the discs for frisbees and then keep the nifty little cases that they send them in. That is one area I have to hand to the people at AOL. Their never ending array of different packaging boggles my mind. I have gotten cd cases from them that were totally made from wood. Pretty neat. They should just stick to making cd cases and leave the web browsers to someone else.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 12:31 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big Thank You to all who responded. [Smile] Think I'll let the CD lie for a while as I have a good firewall and virus protection and I can't see where the 'upgrade' is worth it if there's nothing to be gained. Let sleeping dogs lie. [Wink]

For those who want it it's probably easier to go to the MS website and order it on CD than download it. It's completely free of charge, and only took a week to arrive in the mail.

Thanks again!
Ron Yost

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 07:03 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded SP2 last week and installed it on my XP home system. No obvious problems. Even with my cable modem, it took one heck of a long time to download and install!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-2004 08:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SP2 is probably OK for "most" home users. That damn built-in-and-turned-on-by-default firewall has some major issues with the default configuration (blocks all types of ICMP traffic by default, for example), but can be modified or turned off as needed.

I definitely wouldn't install it on anything "critical" without a full (and verified) backup, of course.

Be careful if you use any software that requires license service (FlexLM, LUM, etc.).

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-03-2004 09:39 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After some careful testing where I work, we rolled it out on all machines (around 25). No problems whatsoever. As far as the firewall, it will tell you if something is knocking at the door and give you the opportunity to allow it or not allow it through. No issues with FlexLM license service for us. The only significant issue was a secure tunnel service from Juniper Networks that stopped working. It was something to do with SP2 not permitting any address for localhost/loopback except 127.0.0.1. MS has a hotfix for that.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott .. what does it do to FlexLM? That has me concerned, as I do have two programs that use it. Interesting that David experienced no problems in that area. Wonder why??

Thanks!
Ron Yost

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-03-2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an alternative to SP2 and if you haven't kept up to date with the WXP+SP1 patches, installing Autopatcher is an alternative for whacking all the patches on in one operation. The last version I used is from May, so there'll be a few more to install through Windows Update after you're done, but it'll be a fraction of the number needed for a 'virgin' SP1 installation. Autopatcher is about 250mb so you'll need a high-speed connection to download it, though.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sp2 changes the black loading screen. It no longer says Home Edition or Professional Edition. Totally worth the 280mb. [Roll Eyes] There are also issues with Nero 6, but a 60mb patch is available on aheads website. I had and continue to have zero problems on both my desktop and my notebook.

edit: if your hard drives are full, it may not let you install. The installer backs up a ton of system files. I'm not sure of the exact requirements though.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FlexLM actually _does_ work fine, once you tell the annoying firewalling "feature" that you want to allow the traffic. The ICMP blocking by default is a much bigger issue that is likely to cause all sorts of problems.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 11:16 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott [Smile] I figured it would be some potential conflict between the FlexLM license-server and SPII's new firewall.

Still going to avoid the install. Especially since, according to the read-me on the SPII disc, I -barely- have enough drive space to install it.

Ron Yost .. Have a GREAT Labor Day Weekend, everyone. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: