Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hardware for Computer DV Production (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hardware for Computer DV Production
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-04-2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm helping a friend and business associate of mine get a lot of specs and pricing together to purchase some new computer hardware for his advertising agency. He's leased a pretty decent building he wants to have function as a real design studio.

I've already thrown together suggestions and pricing for computers used for print and web-based design. That's pretty easy. I just put together a couple decently equipped (yet moderately priced) Dell XP Pro packages.

Dealing with video is more complicated. I put together a dual G5 PowerMac package at the Apple Store online, as well as getting prices on the Apple Production Suite and Adobe's Creative Studio Suite standard edition. If you're dealing pretty much only with digital video, what other hardware are you going to need besides a well equipped PowerMac?

I'm a little concerned as well about the hard disc situation. The online store just lets you put together a basic SATA RAID configuration. It's not as complex as the RAID 0,1,3,5 & 10 choices you have for SATA and Ultra320 SCSI on Dell's Precision Workstation site.

Will Mac OS X fight against video captures on the main hard disc or RAID array the same way I have seen with Windows PCs? My home PC has two different hard discs and two different hard disc controllers because of this issue. What's the best path to take?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had zero issues with capturing and editing video when using the one master OS X hard drive in my G5. I have an external ADS Technologies dual link drive kit which connects via firewire for my IDE drives. I haven't yet tried capturing and editing directly off of that yet though. My main intention was to use them to copy files for backup purposes.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-04-2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DV will be happy with just about any IDE/ATA hard drive that spins at 7200rpm. There are minimum specs for seek time and sustained data transfer rates but any 7200 drive today will meet those specs.

As a matter of organizational preference, I use external FireWire drives so that I can simply unplug when a project is completed and archive the whole drive.

It is considered "good form" to have separate hard drives for capture and rendering.

Capturing is a real PITA and I don't intend to use DV tapes as my primary medium anymore. Instead, I will use a device like FireStore and capture directly to the external hard drive. Connection to the FireStore is via the camera's FW output. You can still use a DV tape in the camera as a backup.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-04-2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7200RPM is great. But even 5400 RPM drives can handle DV just fine. But go for 7200RPM anyway.

Brad, you should not have any problem capturing or especially editing to/from a firewire drive. I was able to do that using a freakin' eMac. Just don't daisy chain the camera and the drive. Make sure they use their own ports on the computer.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On another forum I frequent someone who knows answered a similar question thus:

Video editing's my business - I use Premiere on PC platform (many other pro's use Avid - but I found Premiere is just as good and doesn't cost anywhere near as much). I do use Premiere on high end kit though (Matrox digisuite LX MAX) that allows 3 DV streams with effects, titles etc in real time. A decent complete system would set you back around 10KUKP. Premiere does work on all kinds of spec though although as Mark says - it does need a meaty PC to do it justice (and if you don't want to sit there waiting for many hours!).

[Note - I think he's got a P4 3.4GHz with 1GB ram, and multiple scsi disks]

If you are serious about all this - go for Premiere (a lot of
hardware-accelerated capture cards tend to bundle Premiere LE or full if they're aiming at the more serious end of the home market).

You can buy a firewire card with hardware accelerated DV playback, edit etc - Pinnacle are good (DV500 etc) but do cost a bit more

Edit: Heres the pic :-)

-

[ 09-05-2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: David Buckley ]

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-04-2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.

If you're serious you should use Final Cut Pro or Avid. Those are the professional standards nowadays. I don't know of anyone who is "serious" and still using Premiere. In fact, I don't know anybody who has ever used Premiere professionally.

Having never tried Avid I can still say that I prefer FCP because it allows me to do everything I want to do (and lots more) without costing a ridiculous amount of money.

PC or Mac?

Well, I'm biased but anyway, here goes: Macs are the way to go. Some would say that Macs are born for this type of thing. One thing's for certain: With a Mac, you will spend more time creating and less time jacking with your hardware and OS. And that applies to more than just video apps.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-04-2004 07:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really care at all about the whole Mac versus PC debate, at least when it comes to hardware. The available software and other periphreals available to each platform are the real factors.

This is why I have no problem at all using Windows-based PCs for print graphics and web graphics. Lots of service bureaus and print houses use PCs now. And there's lots of color calibration and profiling tools and other pre-press tools available as well. Several years ago you had to own a Mac to get any of that. Aside from security issues, Windows2000 and XP are certainly a lot more reliable than their earlier counterparts.

The video production thing is different. On the Windows side, the situation is a stupid mess. I'm not happy with any of the offerings there, even the high end ones from companies like Avid. There's always some short-coming here or there. Adobe Premiere Pro is a decent, but not a truly great video editing program. Adobe Encore has a number of bugs and performance issues. It seems like Photoshop and After Effects are really the only great programs from Adobe to use for video. And now Apple's Motion program is a direct competitor with After Effects, and it integrates well with Photoshop.

5.1 surround encoding on the PC is another stupid problem. To do it on a PC, first you must have some audio editor like Vegas or Acid, or a video editor like Premiere Pro. Then you have to blow another $300 to get a Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder plug in. If you want to do DTS encoding for DVD, you're out a cool $2,000 for that SurCode stand-alone app. By comparison, Apple's DVD Studio Pro 3 offers built-in encoding for BOTH Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS, all for under $500. Apple's production suite, which includes Final Cut Pro HD, DVD Studio Pro 3 and Motion costs $1200. This is probably the best bargain in professional level video production software on the market today.

Apple's Production Suite is the real reason why I would choose a Mac to do video. I don't give a rats ass about how much faster a G5 CPU is than a P4 on some isolated floating point performance test that has nothing to do with real computing performance. The applications are what matters, and Apple has some killer apps in their Production Suite.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 05:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far I haven't come across anything I can't do with Premiere that I could with Avid or Final Cut Pro, and therefore I'm yet to be convinced that the vastly increased cost is worth it. Admittedly I'm not in the broadcast business: mainly what I edit video for is putting together compilations of archive footage for sale to the public on DVD or for public screenings from DVCAM or DVD in venues which can't show film (conference centres, community venues and the like) or where we don't have the money to have 16mm or 35mm viewing copies made from our preservation elements.

For that purpose I'm totally satisfied with Premiere. It's all very well for Final Cut Pro devotees to tell me that it is the 'professional standard', but it costs three times as much, only works on a Mac and can't do anything which I need to do and which Premiere won't.

As for SATA RAIDs or any other type of RAID, a word of warning: unless you configure your discs as a mirrored RAID (i.e. you decide to buy twice as much HDD space as you need for security purposes), then you're at risk of losing the data from all the discs in the RAID if one of them should fail. This is exactly what happened to me about a month ago, and after the knackered HDD was replaced under warranty I formatted my two SATA drives in a standalone base configuration.

And while a 7,200rpm IDE drive is certainly fast enough to capture, I've found that the higher speed of a SATA 150 drive makes a big difference to the seek time when editing, especially if you're working with some pretty big (i.e. tens of gigabytes) DV files, and so would say that what is now only a marginal extra cost is well worth it.

Agreed entirely with Bobby - Encore is a bug-ridden pile of shite, even with the 1.0.1 patch applied. It's bequeathed me more coasters than you'd find in my local pub. A pity, really, as there are no other DVD authoring packages midway in the market between the giveaway crap that comes with burners and the professional packages costing over a grand.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-05-2004 11:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, try doing 3-way color correction/enhancement in Premiere. You can correct the colors accurately and fast in Final Cut Pro. You can even take a pink car and change it's color to blue (or whatever) without affecting the rest of the picture. Can't do that stuff in Premiere. Once you've discovered color-correction, then it becomes a must.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only colour adjustments I have tried in Premiere are to correct Eastmancolor dye fading on pink prints which have been telecined 'as is'. I've been astonished with the results: as a general rule, I've found that by reducing the red gamma to 90% and increasing the green and blue to 125%, the picture looks (subjectively, to my eyes) as if it's an unfaded Kodachrome from around the same time. I'll take your word for it that Final Cut Pro can work similar wonders to some parts of the picture but not others, but that's not something I need or want to do.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-05-2004 05:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
It's all very well for Final Cut Pro devotees to tell me that it is the 'professional standard', but it costs three times as much, only works on a Mac and can't do anything which I need to do and which Premiere won't.
When you consider all the applications you have to buy to do DVD authoring on a PC, you wind up spending more there than you would if you bought Apple's Production Suite.

To compare specifically, Adobe's Video Collection Standard costs $999. You get Premiere Pro, the basic version of After Effects, Audition and Encore. But you have to add another $300 to the cost for the Surcode plug-in if you want to do Dolby Digital 5.1. And you have to spend a lot more than that to do DTS. For $1200 Apple's Production Suite gives you everything you need. The only other applications you might need in addition to it would be Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

The thing that is more expensive on the Mac side is the hardware. The Dual G5 system I configured online cost over $4000, and that is without a monitor.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-05-2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And while a 7,200rpm IDE drive is certainly fast enough to capture, I've found that the higher speed of a SATA 150 drive makes a big difference to the seek time when editing, especially if you're working with some pretty big (i.e. tens of gigabytes) DV files, and so would say that what is now only a marginal extra cost is well worth it.
I have edited projects with over 160GB of raw footage using 7200rpm drives with no problems whatsoever. I'm not arguing that the faster seek times aren't indeed faster...they just don't *seem* faster.

Joe is correct. The 3-Way Color Corrector has become a must-have for me.

I can recall an incident that took place shortly after the 3WCC was introduced to FCP. One particular shot went from being "unuseable" to becoming "the most interesting shot in the show" thanks to the 3WCC. In fact, the other surrounding shots had to be corrected in order to match that new level of quality.

Every single shot gets color corrected now.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-05-2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for SATA RAIDs or any other type of RAID, a word of warning: unless you configure your discs as a mirrored RAID (i.e. you decide to buy twice as much HDD space as you need for security purposes), then you're at risk of losing the data from all the discs in the RAID if one of them should fail.
That's not really that accurate. Any RAID configuration (all but RAID 0) that is based on parity is also fault tolerant. RAID 0 is really only useful for scratch volumes, or non-critical volumes that require a fast read rate and a not-so-fast write rate.

Specifically,

RAID 0: Stripped Array without Fault Tolerance (Pretend0RAID)
Not fault tolerant. Useful for scratch drives requiring faster read than write speed. Also useful for caching servers like Squid.

RAID 1: Mirror & Duplexing (CheapoRAID)
Fault tolerant. Will sustain one or more drive failures. In-efficient. Very few hardware controllers will allow for any read performance increases. Many software controllers will actually see decreases in write performance. OK for any applications requiring high availability, with average performance, like accounting and other financial systems.

RAID 2: Hamming Code ECC Cool RAID
Fault tolerant. Very high performance can be achieved when your data to ECC disk ratio is low. Transaction rate equal to that of a single disk. Simpler than RAID3/4/5 but rather expensive to implement. There aren't any commercially available implementations that I know of. Most people don't even know RAID 2 exists, or if they do what it actually is. I've only ever seen TWO RAID 2 setups.

RAID 3: Parallel Transfer with Parity
Fault tolerant. Requires a minium of three disks. Will sustain the loss of about one drive per parity drive. High read and write transfer speeds. Transaction rate equal to that of a single disk.

RAID 4: Independent Data Disks with Shared Parity Disk Evil RAID
Fault tolerant but a total pain in the ass to recover after a drive failure. High read performance. The worst write performance around.

RAID 5: Independent Data Disks with Distributed Parity Blocks

Fault tolerant. Highest read rates. Average write rates. Rebulding is easier than RAID 4. RAID level which is most familiar to many IT professionals (good for when whoever setup the system disappears and things go bad).

RAID 6: Independent Data Disks with Two Independent Distributed Parity Schemes
Fault tolerant. An extension of RAID 5. Uses an additional set of parity blocks to sustain multiple disk failures. Performance can be as good as RAID 5 for a price. My RAID level of choice.

RAID 10: Mirror and Stripe LameRAID
Fault tolerant. Take a RAID 1 mirrored set and then stripe it with an additional RAID 0 stripe set. Fairly fast, requires 4 drives (inefficient use of drive capacity -- expensive), cheap to implement in hardware or software controllers.

RAID 50: RAID 3 and Stripe RAIDtarded
Fault tolerant. Take a RAID 3 set and then stripe it ala RAID 0. REQUIRES syncronized spindles. Ineffificent use of drive capacity. Don't even bother.

RAID 0+1: Stripe and Mirror 0+1 = 5, well sorta
Fault tolerant. Take a RAID 0 stripe set and mirror it. High performance read. Will sustain ONE drive failure before it becomes as reliable as a RAID 0 set (not fault tolerant). Similar to RAID 5, but not as scalable. Cheaper to implement the controller. OK for small volumes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I have edited on the real Avid machines, Avid on Windows, Premiere on Windows and Final Cut Pro on Mac. I am still very much a newbie in regards to everything Mac, but already it is THE way to go. Once you get past the initial hurdle of why everything is "backwards" to what you are used to in the Mac OS, the software starts shining through.

I still find Windows a better solution for most everything else non-production, such as basic business work.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
My RAID level of choice
Bit dangerous this; different RAID schemes serve different purposes, and a number of other factors come into play which can make what appears to be the best choice not always the best.

Where a system is random read heavy with several different applications or application types, mirroring almost always gives the best performance. For sequential processing from single application, mirroring does give a great advantage over schemes with less spindles.

But random write performance - boy, thats another story. A fact not appreciated by most IT folk is that a posix compatible "system" in practice can only have a single write outstanding at one time, and the whole system serializes around write performance. How do you get really fast write performance? you need battery backed fault tolerant cacheing disk arrays, to remove the mechanical time out of a write, so a write takes microseconds rather than milliseconds. Factor that in, and the need to write 200% of the data on a mirrored system is insignificant.

Of course, all this costs money, so most people dont have (nor in practice need) anything like high performance writes.

The other important thing with RAID arrays is backup. RAID doesn't remove the need to do proper backups.

From a message in another place entitled "utterly gutted":

I had build a raid 5 system around the promise sx6000 hardware raid card with 6 x superstore caddies (not cheap by any stretch of the imagination) thinking this would keep my data safe. One of the drives failed yesterday - I didn't panic - put in a replacement - the array rebuilt itself and all the lights went green. Rebooted XP and nothing..... the array appeared as un-partitioned space. All the data is gone including all our photos (including those of my newborn daughter) / videos all our documents. The 500 albums I ripped and god knows what else.

Fortunately this story had a somewhat happy ending, about 60% of the stuff was recoved, including all the really important stuff.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: