Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Filmfights.com (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Filmfights.com
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-12-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, another annoying thread telling you to check out a link...

But this one might actually spark some interest for some of you out there. Maybe, maybe not...

From what I've browsed so far, you can submit your own digital short videos into a contest. And the viewers choose the most worthy. I think they give you a topic or situation to work with and make in under 3 minutes... Something to that extent.

Edit: These videos are not really up to par with my standards... Very amateur as you might say. So, what I'm saying is... don't checkout the site unless you have nothing else better to do.

http://filmfights.com

[ 09-12-2004, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Jennifer Pan ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish people would stop calling videos films.

Moreso, I wish people would stop making videos that are so bad it's embarrassing to watch. [Roll Eyes]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-12-2004 02:04 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like movies & films.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've lost the battle on that one, Brad. 'Film' now seems to have become a generic noun and verb meaning 'recorded moving image sequence' / 'to record a moving image sequence'. Media production students at the university where my archive is based routinely describe their videos as films, and the teaching staff don't try to discourage it, as far as I can see. Only yesterday on the radio they were talking about Islamic terrorists 'filming' themselves murdering hostages, though I really can't imagine them in some Iraqi dungeon with a machete in one hand and an Arri 565 in the other, somehow.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2004 11:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Leo, but that doesn't stop me from looking these "directors" straight in the face at film festivals and telling them "not to worry, we'll get the aspect ratio right for your video". It's actually pretty funny to see some of the director's eyes light up when you use the evil "v" word.

Anyway, I refuse to use the word "film" when describing something shot on video. I will use it if the show was shot on film but is presented on video though. There is a local festival going on with the slogan "presenting films right", yet there are only 2 actual films in the program and the rest are 80+% horribly amateurish videos. But hey, the slogan isn't lying. The films WERE presented right! [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-12-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, Leo... AMEN!

So, Jen, 'not your standards'? Why don't you show us what ya got!

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-12-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! I was wondering if anyone would comment me on that. I love eating my own words. [Big Grin]

Well, Tim... my videos are most likely not up to your par. Ones opinion can vary from someone else’s. I'll let you know when I come up with some quality work. In the mean time you can just check out my site and see my videos. More like video journals. But I'm not after the best effects award. Just something simple and to the point. Not really planned nor drawn out on a story board or anything like that. Plus I don't plan on submitting to any contest for that matter. The videos that I have made in the past were from high school projects. Mostly history classes.

http://www.jenniferpan.net/video.html

The level of which were on that site are how shall I say this... gross. My standard is that 'one' does not need to say the "f" word every second nor do they need to be outlandishly gory. Where they take a baby doll and slaughter it using fake blood. But what cuts the cake is showing poop in a public restroom stall. Not my opinion of quailty 'video' making. But I guess they weren't going for quality. It is their video... they choose to do whatever they please. I gave it a shot and watched what they had to offer.

I'm not a professional in amateur 'films' nor am I a pro at full feature length 'films'. But I can tell when I see effort and thought put forth in a project. I have great respect for those who can come up with something spontaneous and witty.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 09-12-2004 09:35 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jennifer Pan
Where they take a baby doll and slaughter it using fake blood. But what cuts the cake is showing poop in a public restroom stall.
Jen, you should have put SPOILERS AHEAD before that statement. I recommend you be banned for blatant rule breaking. [Wink] [Big Grin] [evil]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-12-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I should be banned... But did I even mention the titles of those videos? So you have no clue which videos I talked about. There are at least 5 other 'somewhat' decent videos left within that category. Plus there's also the achieves and any other video left on the site I have yet to mentioned.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 09-12-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. [Cool]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-13-2004 02:20 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now this is what I call good amateur video making...

It's from the creator of "Filmfights.com"
If you thought chick flicks were bad... watch this trailer.
You might have second thoughts.

'My "Drama of the Year" trailer':

http://www.collegehumor.com/justin/onetrick/ff3-justin.wmv

And more from this 'director' check out his site:
http://onetrick.net/videos.htm

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 09:37 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I really wish people would stop calling videos films.
Yes, that bugs me too. I've been watching the fairly new Benny Hill DVD set of the early years and the box says the set includes "three rare shows FILMED in black and white". These black and white shows are obviously from quadruplex video tape (the banding is obvious and the number of bands is correct (18.4 visible on the screen since 20 are used for each entire field for PAL). What's even more interesting is that color artifacts are visible in these black and white episodes, so it seems these particular episodes (6, 7, and 8 on the set) were recorded in black and white using a color-capable quad machine. Dropouts often have color to them. Why did they do this when the episodes 1-5 were in color?

Anyway, it's possible that a show could be filmed, then transfered to quad video tape, but if that were the case, print blemishes would be visible, and I don't see any, so I'll bet the quad videotape is the original.

The same thing applies to the David Bowie 2-disc set of videos. I noticed banding on one video (18.4 bands -- PAL quad) that was said to be "filmed" in the intro.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer,

You seem a sweet, completely unpretentious young lady, and having been somewhat connected with the music industry in the past, I have a small suggestion for you. [Smile]

I'd strongly suggest you add a copyright notice to your musical material. Intellectual works are copyrighted automatically once they're in 'fixed form', but the appearance of a notice in/on your work will serve notice to the public that you know you have rights. [edited by Ron Yost to be more accurate. Thanks for pointing out my errors, Daryl] [Big Grin]

It wouldn't be wise to do this if a song of yours is directly derived from a published song, of course. Same melody, different words, for example. But if you honestly believe your work to be substantially 'original' the notice won't hurt anything. And there's nothing pretentious about it at all. You're just protecting your work.

A line like: "Words and Music Copyright © 2004 Jennifer Pan" would suffice. Or just "Copyright ..", in the case of your printed lyrics.

The copyright sign is obtained by holding down the ALT key and pressing 0169 on your keyboard's numeric keypad (won't work using the number keys above the keyboard). Assuming you're on a Winblows machine, of course. Just the word Copyright will do, if you can't do the © thing. [Big Grin]

I like some of your songs, BTW. They're obviously from a place deep in your heart. Have you ever heard of a "hook" in music? You might want to find out how to create them for some of your music, if you don't know already. It's what makes most songs memorable. You almost have one in the tune you sing on your video. Even ballads have hooks, sometimes. [Wink]

Hope this is of some help to you, and don't give up .. hold on to your high standards, not to sound like a priest! Your parents obviously raised you up right, as we say around here.

Ron Yost .. old-time, very small-time, Rock-and-Roller. [Big Grin]

[ 09-13-2004, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Ron Yost ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-13-2004 04:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really still have to include a copyright notice to enact copyright rights in the US? You haven't had to do that in Canada for years. Any work in Canada is automatically protected by copyright.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 05:30 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not 'required' anymore. However it does serve to 'give notice' to the greedy, like the snakes and sharks that infest the music biz [Mad] , that the 'author' is aware they have rights under the law. That's how I look at it, anyhow.

Here's a small portion of the U.S. Copyright Office's FAQ:

"Use of the notice may be important because it informs the public that the work is protected by copyright, identifies the copyright owner, and shows the year of first publication. Furthermore, in the event that a work is infringed, if a proper notice of copyright appears on the published copy or copies to which a defendant in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a defendant's interposition of a defense based on innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages, except as provided in section 504(c)(2) of the copyright law. Innocent infringement occurs when the infringer did not realize that the work was protected.

The use of the copyright notice is the responsibility of the copyright owner and does not require advance permission from, or registration with, the Copyright Office."

More at:

U.S. Copyright Office

I do quite a bit of photography these days, so, like a sheep perhaps [Big Grin] I always add it to my work. Especially for online galleries.

So, it's possibly overkill, but I feel more 'secure' adding it to my humble works.

Ron Yost

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: