Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Palm or Pocket PC?

Author Topic: Palm or Pocket PC?
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which do you prefer, and please, please, please, tell me why.

I've always been a Palm kinda guy. But I just got an Ivie IE-33. The Ivie itslef is great, but the Pocket PC is a different story. First of all, as I expected, there is a bit of a learning curve going from Palm to Pocket PC. But I find the Pocket PC, in typical Microshaft fashion, unnecessarily complicated. Combine that with the fact that I have constant problems with Outlook and Active Sync locking up on me, causing me to reboot my PC several times a day, and I'm ready to chuck this thing out the window. (Of course my boss would probably be really mad if I did that. [Wink] ) I never had any trouble with the Palm or HotSync.

I wanted to learn how to make full use of all the PDA functions on the Pocket PC because it's silly to carry around two devices that essentially do the same thing. But given all my frustrations with this thing, I'm thinking about going back to my Palm and using the Ivie strictly for the RTA and SPL functions.

What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always preferred pocket pc, mostly just because I hate the palm OS. Plus, at the time I bought my Ipaq most palms wouldnt play sounds and were still dot matrix/game boy looking. I would have had to spend twice as much on a palm to get one that did what the ipaq did. I cannot say for the newer models though. I had some problems with the active sync when I first got mine, but no problems after a few tries at installing it, you must install it exactly as it says.

I think they are both pretty much the same and do the same things , it is more a matter or personal preference and what you need it to do for you.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-12-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
I've always been a Palm kinda guy.
I've always liked blondes and brunettes.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a Palm IIIx that worked without a problem. Eventually, I saw a great deal on an IPaq 3600 and switched. It worked pretty well, but I began to see limitations and when a deal on a Casio E-200 came along, I moved to that. Immediately, I found that although the Casio seemed to be more stable, the IPaq had better performance. Still, I liked the stability and expandability of the Casio (only PDA at the time with USB host capability). Eventually, I found a great deal on a refurb Dell Axim X5 Advanced. It is a nice unit with CF and SD slots built in (like the Casio). I prefer units that have a CF slot built-in as I use microdrives for storage and CF cards are generally less expensive than comparable capacity SD cards.

On the topic of syncing...I don't ever remember having an issue with the Palm. The IPaq, Casio, and Axim could be problematic. I've found that sometimes when you "upgrade" to a newer version of Activesync, it will duplicate all of your Outlook calendar entries. Installation of Activesync must be followed exactly as the directions instruct or you will have problems. There may also be issues with the software on the PDA. One piece of software included on the Axim for viewing images, causes complete syncing failure. A .dat file must be deleted from the Axim to solve the problem.

On the whole, I prefer PPC units for their expandabilty and software options. One major omission from the PPC OS is the ability to quickly end a program. While this can be done from the Settings>System>Memory>Running Programs menu, it is easier to install a third party utility that gives you a close box in the upper right corner of the screen. I also use the PPC for playing movies and tv shows as well as mp3s. In a bit of self-indulgence, I also created a subtle Rush theme from Test for Echo .

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always follow the axiom: "Avoid Microsoft products as much as you can and your life will be better." Every time I have violated that rule I have regretted it.

I'd get a Palm. Hell! I'd use a flat rock and a sharpened stick before I'd use a Pocket PC!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, you rock! That theme is awesome. It's also quite fitting since I use my Pocket PC to make sound measurements (remember, it's an RTA). [Cool]

quote: Trevor Bailey
On the whole, I prefer PPC units for their expandabilty and software options.
I don't know if this is still true (and knowing how much technology changes, it probablly isn't), but a few years ago I read an article somewhere that said something to the effect that more third-party applications are being developed each month for the Palm OS than exist all together for all other handheld platforms combined. Even if that is no longer true, the Palm OS is certainly not lacking in availability of software or expansion.

Here is one of the problems I've been having. I'm getting an error message that says: "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem." My choices are Swtich To, Retry, and Cancel, the latter of which is grayed out. Every time I click Switch To, the Start Menu pops up. A few seconds later, the error message pops up again. The only way to get rid of this is to reboot. What is this "other program" they are talking about? How do I stop this from happening?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a theme that made mine look just like a PADD from star trek. A lot of naked girls also.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-13-2004 05:35 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any problems with the iPaq. There is a little reset button on the bottom right that handles all problems.
When you run the IE-33, you should go to the memory screen and deactivate all running programs before starting IE-33. Programs in the background will slow it down.
Remember to recalibrate the microphone when you install new software versions. To do this, disconnect the iPaq from the jacket, start the program. Go to the calibration dialog and enter the number that is on the calibration certificate that came with the unit.
Warning: there is a little phase offset between the left and right channel in the oscilloscope function. Until Ivie have fixed the problem, it is best to compare it once to an analog scope to see what it looks like on the Ivie in XY mode. You can see the traces best when you run a Dolby tone loop rather than pink noise.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 10:27 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind. Just to clarify, the problem I mentioned above was not with the iPaq itself, but with the desktop software. I've been having trouble with the ActiveSync software, and yes I have reinstalled it.

Actually, I don't have any problems with the iPaq. In fact, I quite like it. I just wish I could get the damn ActiveSync to quit giving me such a headache.

Aren't there third-party synchronization programs? Do they replace ActiveSync, or do they provide additional functions? If they replace it, I may end up looking into that before I decide to give up on this thing.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is a Palm IIIe?

Out of curiosity..

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-13-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the dates on the pile of crap I just found mine under, at least five years old.

Release dates:

Palm IIIe: July, 1999
Palm IIIe Special Edition: 4 October, 1999
Palm IIIc: 22 February, 2000
Palm IIIxe: February, 2000

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 04:45 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,

Thanks. I bid $22.00 on one on Ebay. I only need to to download maps to my PCIII (A/F management device on my bike). I noted taht several folks on another forum used a Palm to transfer maps from their PC to the bike, which is what I plan to do. Plus, I can keep it as an addy book as well. Never hurts..

Now, another question for you.. How will I be able to transfer data from my PC to the Palm unit? Serial cable? USB? Any special software I'll need?

Thanks for your help.. it is appreciated..

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-13-2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Palm IIIe's came stock with a serial interface docking station.

USB docking stations are available though.

It should come with the necessary data transfer software. If it doesn't you might be able to download it. If you can't download it, let me know and I'll grab the software CD for it next time I'm in Midland.

OK, before I get emailed to death, both are serial interfaces, the former uses a 9 pin serial interface, the later uses a USB serial interface.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Daryl!

It does come with a docking station and software. I just checked the auction specs..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: