Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mozilla Firefox 0.9 - Opinions? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox 0.9 - Opinions?
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2004 05:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Mozilla 1.7 for a few months and decided to try out Firefox 0.9 (as well as the Thunderbird e-mail client). So far, Firefox seems to work pretty well. I haven't had any spyware/adware threats pop up in my machine at all after several days of browsing. It also blocks unrequested pop-ups without any add-on toolbars and other shit that tends to install its own spyware (like Google or Yahoo toolbars). By contrast, you only need to surf with IE for mere minutes before you get stuff in your machine you have to clean with AdAware, Spy Bot Search and Destroy or any other decent any-spyware app.

The only nits I have to pick with Firefox is lack of browser themes (I liked the chrome theme in Mozilla 1.7). Also the icon of the fox wrapped around the globe disappeared on the upper left corner of my browser window, only to be replaced by the generic Windows logo. OTOH, this is the first browser I've used where all the website icons stay intact on my bookmarks page (they would disappear in Mozilla and IE).

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-14-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe 0.9.3 addresses the icon issue.

The preview release (release candidate) 1.0PR was released today.

I've been using Firefox for nearly a year now, and I've got no complaints.

Currently there are 38 themes... I'm sure there will be more once 1.0 is released.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had 0.9.3 and have just installed the 1.0PR release, but still had the icon bug with both installations. In checking available themes again for 0.9, I did find a good number of them (some were pretty cool). But they're incompatible with 1.0PR. Small potatoes complaint really. I'm sure with all the attention Firefox is getting from Wired Magazine and PC Magazine (mainly from John Dvorak) a lot more people will be using this browser thus causing a lot more themes to be created and/or ported over from previous versions of Firefox and Mozilla.

Overall, this is a much safer (and more featured) alternative to IE.

Jacob Szewczyk
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Jacob Szewczyk   Email Jacob Szewczyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like firefox, works good. It's efficient and a lot better then IE. The only problem is I can't get the stupid extensions to work [Mad]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What extensions are you trying to install -and what version of Firefox are you using? I just updated to the 1.0PR version. It doesn't have any new themes yet, but I was at least able to get some of the "mandatory" things (for me anyway) installed, such as Flash SWF support. Haven't tried installing the Shockwave Arcade plug-in into FF 1.0PR yet.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-14-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to install plug-ins? That's what I like about the Mac. Otherwise Macs are completely useless machines. All the browsers share the same plug-ins, so you never have to install any of them more than once, and it works across the board.

Jacob Szewczyk
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Jacob Szewczyk   Email Jacob Szewczyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to install the foxy tunes extension and I'm using Firefox 0.9.3

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-14-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try the newer 0.61 version?
http://www.iosart.com/foxytunes/firefox/

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2004 09:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
You have to install plug-ins? That's what I like about the Mac.
That's only good until some "genius" out there gets his hands on some new version of Flash and re-does all his SWFs in that. Then you wind up having to do something to update your IE, Safari, Opera or whatever browser you're using on the Mac. There's no such thing as a web browser that will never need updating.

The lack of some plug-ins and "features" is really one of the benefits to using Firefox, or even Mozilla, on a Windows machine. You don't have to worry about so many of the nasties out there meant to attack Internet Explorer.

Of course, all this is good until Firefox starts commanding a big share of the browser market. Then the asshole hackers out there, I'm sure, will find some way to attack it -just like the fact if most people used Macs hackers would be exploiting all kinds of issues there as well. Those guys are just going after the biggest target.

FWIW, Firefox is an open-source browser. There are Mac and Linux versions of it available. Mozilla.org also makes the Camino browser, exclusively for Mac OS X.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but I only have to update once, and then all browsers are taken care of. I don't have to update IE, update Opera, update Safari, update Camino, update Firefox, etc all individually.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-15-2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the updating also depends on how each browser add-on is developed. For Flash to some extent, and to a greater extent the Shockwave Arcade thingie, you have to download separate flavors for whatever browser you're using. But for other items like Quicktime, it works automatically.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-15-2004 02:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using it for around six months and it's easily the nicest browser I've ever come across. As others have pointed out, it stops pop-ups, seems to be totally compatible with every site you care to visit and manages favourites and downloads quickly and easily. I especially like the 'allow for session' feature for cookies, which is very useful if you're only ever visiting a site once or infrequently and which won't work without cookies, but don't like the idea of having tons of them on your machine and having to muck them out periodically.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-15-2004 03:37 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently testing out the 1.0PR.

I like the simplicity, not overwhelming me with toolbars and icons that are usually not necessary. I believe my college carries the 0.9... not certain but it is to me more efficient than IE. Similarities to Netscape and IE... I really like that. But a slight inconvenience I found was that the minimized tabs disappeared leaving the active one the only visual. It kind of freaked me out at first, this was after a new window opened when viewing Quicktime. Fortunately I was able to retrieve those missing windows again. I guess it was just a one time occurrence. This could just be my DSL connection being faster due to the time period or this browser actually loads pages faster. [Big Grin]

I noticed the option to Import icons and bookmarks from other browsers. I thought that was nice of them to ask. [Smile] That's probably just an option on other browsers I haven't encountered before or ignored them when asked. I do know that Netscape carries over IEs 'Favs'.

Another convenient part was downloading multiple files it only uses up one window. I've never seen that done with a browser before. I could just be sheltered with just IE and NS...

I guess if you've already seen what I've mentioned on browsers I apologize for informing you with useless dabble.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use 0.9.3 currently and I love it. A few sites will not load correctly on it, so I use IE in extreme circumstances, but I use Firefox 98% of the time.

I first started using it b/c the computers in our libraries had it installed with IE disabled. I've been a fan ever since. And, if you are a real security nut and you use public computers; pop this on a USB Flashdrive and run it off of it. Everything comes with you, and you can always format it.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have it on the public terminals in the library at my college, and (at least here,) it's slow as hell.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: