Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What to do if an ebay transaction goes wrong?

Author Topic: What to do if an ebay transaction goes wrong?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-16-2004 09:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More specifically, I bought a used double CD which was described as LIKE NEW. While that leaves some room, the one I got was definitely nowhere near like new. The case is cracked in several places, the booklet is very worn and most importantly, the CDs were dirty and scratched and don't play properly even after careful cleaning.
It actually said "play without problems" in the description.
Anyway, I contacted the seller and he pretended to be very "surprised" but doesn not seem to want to refund the money. Then I left negative feedback, and the last I heard of him was that he is "disappointed" now.

It's only a $12 item, so it's not so big a deal. OTOH, I think it's a matter of principle.
But I could find no place on ebay to report dishonest behavior. I doubt they even have people and/or time to look into small stuff like that.
Still, is there anything I can do?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eBay Buyer Protection Program

hope this helps...

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael:

Near the bottom of the "My eBay" page after you log in is a section of Related Links including "Dispute Resolution" and "Report a Problem", check them out to report the seller. Also if you click on "more..." you'll get a detailed list of links to get your money back or report the seller for fraud.

IIRC, the "Safe Harbor" icon also provides links for dispute resolution.

Hope this helps! [beer]

Edit: Dean! Great link, thanks! You beat me to it! [Big Grin]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Michael!

[Edit: Dean and Tony beat me to it as I was writing this. I'm just too slow! [Smile] ]

You may want to try "Square Trade", which works with eBay to (hopefully) resolve issues like yours. And with recent changes to eBay rules, they can even work to remove negative feedback if a satisfactory resolution is achieved, especially if the seller irresponsibly screws you over with a retaliatory neg [Mad] .

I personally have had no experience with SquareTrade...your mileage may vary. [Smile] Good luck! [thumbsup]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-16-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, I had not seen the Dispute Resolution button in My Ebay. Somehow I couldn't get to that result by going through the FAQ.
Maybe it's a little overkill for a $12 item, but I think I will try that anyway.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-17-2004 04:34 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Michael,

I got [sex] out of $12 and a really cool Peter Max
Lithograph from 1968 slightly Rare!

[fu] Safe Harbor!
[fu] Mutual negative removal!
[fu] Square Trade!

Results:
[thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

My Total Ebay purchases 223 items!

My highest losses for fraud and Damaged items,
too salvageable to redeem insurance(most cases under insured by seller): $836.00

Amount spent to date: close to $30,000

True appraised value so far, $649,000

Opinion:
You win some, you loose some, Caviat Emptor!!!

I'd have better luck sending you a
Live Albino Terantula as a Halloween gift!!! [Devil]

Coming to Dallas in October?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 09:49 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have web space you can post a more expansive description of your issues with the transaction and place the link in your feedback line. That also allows you to change it after the fact. I did that once with some minor quibbles about the purchase of a book.

http://ebay1.filmteknik.com/

The link takes you to a page with a few simple paragraphs of text about a particular transaction.

Erica Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Erica Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Erica Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you paid with PayPal, you can use their buyer protection program. It's good for up to $500, but can only be used twice per year so you may not want to use it for a $12 item if you are a frequent eBayer. Take photographs of the item, and include links to them in your PayPal claim. I had a $500 claim resolved in my favor when a purchase never arrived - I showed PayPal the Fedex tracking information online which indicated that the package had been left at the door but not signed for (and then was apparently stolen). The seller had to sign a blank on the Fedex form waiving the requirement for a signature on delivery, so PayPal found that they were at fault and issued me a refund.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-18-2004 04:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the meantime, the seller refunded the money through PayPal -only the money I paid for the item and shipping, but nor for shipping it back. Should I insist on the return shipping costs? Maybe not, at least he finally had an insight.
The strange thing is that now it says under My Ebay that I still haven't paid for the item. Is this a trap?

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-18-2004 05:36 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it's not a trap Michael,
My ebay is in still in beta testing and still has some bugs!

Just clear the page by deleting the item from the list, clear the cookies and everything should be o.k.

My losses occured before paypal got their stuff together!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: