Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » mice in carmike cinemas

Author Topic: mice in carmike cinemas
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shows what not to eat at this cinema. this was in the Wilmington Star News

Signs of mice found at area movie theater

By Cheryl Welch
Staff Writer
cheryl.welch@starnewsonline.com

A recent N.C. Department of Labor report suggests movie-goers may get a little extra seasoning when they order popcorn at Carmike 16.

During a Sept. 2 inspection by the department, an inspector reported he found mouse droppings throughout the cinema’s concession stand area, including near boxes of unpopped popcorn kernels.

Juan Santos, spokesman for the N.C. Department of Labor, said he did not know if mouse droppings were in the sacks of popcorn consumers can buy and munch in the flickering light of movie screens.

“I don’t think we tasted the popcorn,” he said, chuckling. “I don’t think we asked for a sample of it.”

A Carmike 16 manager, who did not give his full name, declined comment for this story. He said he would try to get someone else with the company to comment, but no one called the Star-News by press time.

While theaters are not a normal part of the department’s inspection routine, Mr. Santos said an anonymous call about mouse droppings spurred an impromptu visit to the Wilmington cinema. His department would have jurisdiction over a theater in situations that affect the health or safety of its employees.

His department also contacted the New Hanover County Health Department to let officials there know about the incident. But Mr. Santos said he understood that because the theater isn’t involved in preparing food, it flies under the radar of county food and lodging inspectors.

Dianne Harvell, environmental health services manager for the Health Department, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The N.C. Department of Labor report said holes in the drywall in the soft-drink-syrup room could allow mice into the facility; “abundant evidence” of mice was found in both concession stands; and no extermination program was instituted despite the presence of mice.

It also cited the facility for not providing hand soap or cleansing agent in the bathrooms where employees could wash their hands.

Rodent droppings can carry potentially harmful bacteria and viruses, although no illnesses arising from the facility were reported to the Labor Department.

The offenses will cost the cinema $1,050, payable to the N.C. Department of Labor unless the cinema appeals the citations or requests a conference with the department. The cinema has 14 days from Monday – when the report was released – to do so.
The operators also must show proof they have exterminated the varmints, Mr. Santos said.

Cheryl Welch: 343-2315
cheryl.welch@starnewsonline.com

|  IP: Logged

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From "Edinburgh Evening News" 31st Jan 2003

quote:
Cinema's food store 'infested with mice'

BY ANGIE BROWN

A CITY cinema was given 24 hours to clean up its act after environmental health officers discovered it was infested with mice.

Pest control experts are now monitoring UGC Cinemas in Fountain Park after horrified movie-goers spotted mice scurrying around in an auditorium.

When inspectors visited the 12-screen multiplex, they found mice droppings in popcorn in a backroom store.

Council officials have forced cinema bosses to destroy all the stock in two food areas after inspecting the premises following the find.

Cinema management confirmed that they had a rodent "situation" two weeks ago but they had since taken "precautionary measures".

A source at the city council’s environmental and consumer services department said inspectors were horrified with what they found at the Fountain Park cinema. "Officers went down after the department received a call from a cinema customer.

"There were droppings in the popcorn which was in a store cupboard.

"They found the same in the confectionery cupboard and ordered staff to destroy the lot.

"They were also told to disinfect everything and do remedial work on the building so that all the holes are blocked up. I felt sick when I read the report of the findings."

Eric Robinson, head of regulatory services for the city’s Environmental and Consumer Services department confirmed officers visited the cinema on Monday, January 20.

"Officers discovered evidence of a heavy infestation of mice in the confectionery stores. UGC Cinemas were immediately given 24 hours to rectify the situation. In response, the owners engaged pest control contractors.

"Environmental health officers revisited the premises [the following day] to ensure that our requirements had been met. On this occasion the store had been cleared and all of the contents destroyed.

"Environmental health officers will continue to monitor the situation to ensure that compliance with regulations is maintained.

"The council takes complaints of this nature extremely seriously. "

A 17-year-old schoolgirl, who wishes to remain anonymous, said she was given a full refund on two £4.80 tickets for 8 Mile - the new Eminem film, after seeing mice in Screen Seven during a visit to the cinema on Friday, January 17.

She said: "We had arrived early because it is half day at school on a Friday.

"We were the only two in the room and we went to the back.

"As we were getting nearer to the seats, I saw a mouse running along the back of the seat and another jumping from the back row to the row of seats in front.

"I could also hear them scurrying and scratching about the floor. I turned and ran.

"When my boyfriend told the staff they said we could get a refund, which we did.

" I just couldn’t go back in to watch the film."

A UGC Cinemas spokeswoman said: "UGC Cinemas was visited by the environmental health agency and, as advised, took precautionary measures to destroy all stock in the two rooms specified.

"UGC’s retained pest control agency has not found any mice since the reported sighting two weeks ago.

"The cinema will continue to work closely with both parties to monitor the situation and ensure it is expedited with immediate effect."

Tony Stephens, spokesman for Rentokil Pest Control, said: "Mice aid the spread of diseases such as salmonella food poisoning through their urine and droppings.

"When you consider that mice produce up to 80 droppings a day and are incontinent, leaving trails of urine spots wherever they go, the risk of them contaminating food is quite significant.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-19-2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of theaters have mice. Lots of theaters have roaches. Lots of restaurants have mice and roaches. I guarantee you don't ever want to go behind the scenes of your favorite mall food court. This can happen even with appropriate pest control measures in place.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-20-2004 03:44 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a rumour doing the rounds some years back about a central London multiplex which included a couple of basement auditoria built in the remains of a disused tube (subway/underground railway) station. As anyone who has ever stood on a London tube platform will tell you, rats are endemic in the tunnels. Apparently there were several incidents in which cinema customers felt furry things around their feet and ankles, and then discovered the hard way that their husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend was not responsible... [evil]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-20-2004 02:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While working in my vegetable garden this weekend, I turned over a board and found a brown field mouse staring at me while remaining absolutely still. After it scurried away, I found its nest in a shallow hole dug in the ground, with five 2-cm long blind and hairless baby mice in it. A few half-eaten peppers I had grown were next to the nest as a food supply.

Since it is the end of the growing season and my garden is away from my house, I decided to live and let live. I may regret it next season. Actually, I lose more produce to rabbits than mice, despite my "rabbit proof fence" around the garden.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe all Carmike's recieve monthly service calls from whatever extermination/prevention company operates in their area. In this neck of the woods its Gaurdian Pest Control.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered a mouse setting up shop in my outdoor storage barn. I used my tried and true "aroma therapy" which has been very successful for me in the past --- just scatter some mothballs around, and they will find greener pastures. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: