Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jet Crashing into Concrete Barrier (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jet Crashing into Concrete Barrier
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-05-2004 12:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this test of a jet crashing into a concrete barrier. Supposedly the jet turned to dust. The dust was later sold to morons on eBay which ended up paying for the whole test.

Download here
1.4 MB

Cool.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-05-2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd probably turn to dust too if you hit a concrete wall at 733 feet per second.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 03:40 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a terrible thing to do to an F4 Phantom II. May those test people rot in hell!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-05-2004 04:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any of them were inside the aircraft at the moment of impact, there won't be much left of them to rot.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 10:09 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So nice to see what tax dollars get spent on. [Roll Eyes]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-05-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least we know that nuclear reactor containment walls designed to that specification will not be breached by an F-4 or any other aircraft weighing about that much at that speed. Fully loaded for combat, an F-4 weighed about as much as a short DC-9 airliner (about 78,000 lbs).

When the USAF Thunderbirds (based right here at Nellis AFB) switched from the F-4 to the T-38 years ago I remember the squadron commander at the time mentioning that it took quite a bit of differences training to fly their routines in the new type. The entire formation of T-38's weighed about as much as one fully-loaded F-4.

One of my favorite aviation otaku T-shirts has a line drawing of the aircraft with this inscription:
quote:
McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom
World's Greatest Distributor of MiG Parts

Dick, I suppose this might be a marginally better fate than to be cut up and melted down into beer cans at Davis-Monthan! [Big Grin]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-05-2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that on HBO. It was on the Indian Point special. Supposedly the test walls were thicker than the actual walls at the reactor. Also the tests were being done involving a part of the power plant that would not have the most damaging effect. I cant remember what part they said would cause the most damage, but it wasnt the big tanks. Actually another area that can be easily broken into on foot, rather than with a plane,will cause even more damage. Its where they have the spent fuel cells that have to remain stored for a few hundred years after being used.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a test done in Britain sometime in the '80s, where a train was crashed into one of the flasks they use to transport spent fuel rods, but I can't find the film of it on-line anywhere.

Paul Mayer

- posted 10-05-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're doing those tests here too, since Yucca Mountain, 90 miles up US-95 from here, has been designated by the rest of the country to be the depository for all of the high-level nuclear waste in the US. We'll have trainloads of the stuff coming through starting in a couple of years. The hole they're digging for it is supposed to be good for at least 10,000 years. With the typical construction quality seen here in Southern Nevada, I'd have to see it to believe it. Somehow I don't think I'll be around.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-05-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Somehow I don't think I'll be around.

Hopefully, due to "natural causes", rather than an accident. [Eek!] [uhoh]

The test footage reminded me of some other cinematographers at the Nevada test site who risked (and may have eventually lost) their lives in photographically documenting nuclear tests:

http://www.vce.com/atomic.html

quote:
Atomic Filmmakers
(Behind the Scenes)
Following World War II, many of the Combat Cameramen who risked their lives to capture the images of War, enlisted in Shooting the Cold War - photographing Atomic Tests!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-05-2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere online there is a neat NASA video showing a controlled crash of a 707. It was done in the early '80s. In some ways, it seems like a waste of an aircraft, but it apparently did provide useful information which helps to make current aircraft safer.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
I cant remember what part they said would cause the most damage, but it wasnt the big tanks. Actually another area that can be easily broken into on foot, rather than with a plane,will cause even more damage.
I always think its really convienient that they air useful information like this. If i were a terrorist, I'd be pissed if i wasted a good airplane by ramming it into any part of a reactor other than the weakest, most damage inducing part. Thank god for HBO. Newspapers are good at this too. After the Atlanta Olympic pipe bombing, you couldn't open a paper without learning exactly how to build your own pipe bomb at home. Fun for all!

Paul Mayer

- posted 10-05-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry John. Though I intend to live forever (so far, so good), I still don't think I'll be around to check on that 10,000 year guarantee they want us to believe. [Roll Eyes]

The part I especially don't buy is the amount of cooling that the underground facility will require for the entire time, to carry away the heat generated by all that "hot" (physically as well as radioactively) stored material. I suppose it will be the ultimate form of job security for generations of operating engineers, keeping after all those air handlers. [Wink]

Scott, that crash test you wrote of happened at Edwards AFB, about four hours drive from here. Spectacular yes, but also a mostly failed experiment. Some footage of it was used in one of the IMAX films from that time. The main test was for a fuel additive (long string polymers) designed to keep jet fuel from forming explosive vapors until just before entering the engines. But the test pilot allowed an undamped Dutch Roll oscillation to develop just before touchdown, which put the aircraft into an unplanned position when it slid through the "rippers" that were positioned to slice open only the fuel tanks. Had it hit correctly, it would have been a chance to see if the additive worked, i.e. allowed the fuel to burn but not explode. As it turned out, the damage was too extensive in all the wrong places and they had a fireball anyway.

The cabin was full of instrumented crash dummies and cameras to record the post-crash conditions of a survivable crash landing. But the fuselage was badly compromised by the rippers due to the off-angle touchdown, resulting in deformations to the cabin that made the crash not so survivable. They still salvaged some good data out of all of it, but not as much as they wanted, nor what they planned for.

The aircraft would have eventually been chopped up and smelted anyway. It was (and I think still is) the world's largest RC flying model. [Smile]

[ 10-08-2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up a block away from the bone yards at Davis-Monthan. It's an awesome sight to behold with all the history in those planes.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-05-2004 08:34 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gracia L. Babbidge
So nice to see what tax dollars get spent on.
Yes, verifying the theory behind safety critical construction methods is certainly a waste of money.

You should see all of the electronic monitoring hardware that was abused and destroyed while testing to ensure that safety critical systems would behave as designed and intended.

I feel like I've been wasting my life helping to protect the public!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: