Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Signatures are stupid (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Signatures are stupid
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-08-2004 06:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
To quote Joe Redifer's signature
quote:
Signatures are stupid. Do you really want to read the same "witty" comment after each and every one of my posts? If so, why? Are you that forgetful that by the time my next post rolls around it will seem original and funny again? Maybe you are. You probably have zero short term memory. And thus with my very next post you will read this all again, even if my next post is just me replying to myself because nobody else will. OK OK... it would be really stupid and egotistical of me to think that whatever I put in my signature will be fresh and original more than once. As everyone knows, I am quite modest and would never think anything negative about anyone else, especially lovable souls like Jack Valenti who are only trying to make the world a better place for you and me! So why must I thrust this paragraph on you each time I post? Is what I am saying right now that damned great and important that you need to read it again and again and again? Will my comments here become completely useless once people read them once and then skip over them in every subsequent post I ever make? If so, then what is the point of me doing this in the first place? Or what if I am making a post about something, and the signature is in the completely opposite tone of my post, thus breaking the mood of the reader and rendering my comments useless. What the hell am I supposed to do then? Who knows. The only thing that matters is that this signature is on every post I make, because you need to see it and you need to see it often! It helps me express my individuality since obviously member pics could never do that. But hell, signatures can! Hooray signatures!
Really, signatures ARE stupid and a couple of them are starting to create some problems. Of course every time I email a member about something they have typed that is generating legitimate complaints, they flip out. So screw it. I have turned them off. We can do without them for awhile, or perhaps forever. Send in a member picture instead.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-08-2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
***FINALLY***!!!!

I agree....

Kudos to you Grand-Poo-BAH for having the courage to turn off this Film-Tech "feature". Hopefully it's permanent!

I credit Joe. Joe has killed it for all of us by his ridiculously long sig. (And small penis...)

All is right with FT.

>>> Phil

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 07:17 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admit I've never really liked signatures and have seldom put them on email messages. I don't believe I've ever setup a system to automatically put one on email for me. It's funny now that sigs are turned off -- I can't even remember if I had one that appeared on my posts. If I did, it probably was a link to my web site.

I found that I never read the sigs anyway and automatically ignored them after seeing them for a short while.

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your not your job. Your not your car. Your not your kakhis. You are the all seeing all knowing scum of the world. You are not special. You are a space monkey.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-08-2004 08:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not very good with grammar. [Roll Eyes]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-08-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
And Brad can't spell. [Razz]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-08-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No signatures? Now I have no way to distinguish myself! [Razz]

I know I haven't been here that long, compared to many, but I don't recall seeing anyone's signature that was in any way offensive, at least not enough to elicit complaints from other members. At least not enough to elicit a complaint from ME. Perhaps I am just mature enough not to think too much about what other random people's signatures say.

I didn't realize this was such a problem. I mean, I learned after reading it once to ignore Joe's ramble. I eventually ignore everyone's! I like the fun, little aspect of customizing they allow, but I've never made them in any way important.

Although, the sense of signature usage here is much better than some OTHER forums. Yeah, let's put a huge 500x200 animated GIF in our signatures and quote the entire Constitutional Peasant scene from Holy Grail, with lots of smileys and dashes ... and have it on every single post, even though the only replies I type are "I agree, IMHO, so-and-so is so stupid. LOL, etc."

No real need for them here, especially since you've got a contact and website button in the header of every post anyway! I won't say "good riddance," but I won't miss them too terribly either.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I credit Joe. Joe has killed it for all of us by his ridiculously long sig. (And small penis...)
Huh? Leave my amazingly microscopic penis out of it! You promised you wouldn't tell! [Smile]

quote: Greg Davis
Your not your job. Your not your car. Your not your kakhis. You are the all seeing all knowing scum of the world. You are not special. You are a space monkey.
What are you talking about? Did you remember your meds?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-08-2004 10:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Signatures are quite easy to ignore and I'm AMAZED that anyone took offense to any of them...even the absurdly long ones....talk about your page-inflation per subject!

Film-Tech is the only place where I have a "signature" though on my work emails, I have the standard contact info in my emails.

I guess now I'll have to type the sig line for each post...now what was it?

SIGNATURE DELETED

[ 10-09-2004, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, is this what you are trying to say?

You are not your job, your car or your khakis. You are the all-seeing, all-knowing scum of the world. You are not special; you are a space monkey.

Sounds vaguely like the old National Lampoon parody of Desiderata, Deteriorata.

quote:
With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal
The world continues to deteriorate.

GIVE UP!

You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Oh, and Brad, thanks for getting rid of the sigs...they were really getting annoying.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-08-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thank God...er...I mean me...that I am Butt God otherwise without my sig you would never know I walk amongst you.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 10-08-2004 10:59 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been here for quite a while, and I have never had a signature, but I have never been offended by one either.

As we constantly are loosing our freedoms, why in the name of whomever would someone be offended by just a silly signature.

Who's sig was so offensive to come to this conclusion or was this the ultimate goal of Joe's extended signature rant.

Or was Joe the actual offender???

Do we really have to cow down to every ones Political Correctness?

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything!!!

Brad,

I know it's your site, but not to include the opinions of your membership before closing this feature of silly free expression, just seems like a wussy way out to me. [Confused]

"The needs of many out weigh the needs of the few!"

Who were the precious few that were offended anyway? [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Needs"? Sigs are just clutter. Nothing more. I can't see anyone actually needing them. I am amazed that anyone really cares that they were turned off.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 12:38 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the non signature style now. It streamlines the posts & makes topics roll more effectively.

Though I do think that Joe should just change his name to that ever so long sig, just so he can inflict his torture on us every post.

------
I could always just add a fake signature everytime I make a post. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-09-2004 01:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
MEMBERS MANUALLY TYPING IN SIGNATURES AT THE END OF THEIR POSTS WILL BE BANNED!

Really how pathetic is this? Nothing is more rude than when people intentionally try and work their way around the rules.

I have never liked signatures. I almost did not permit them in the beginning. The only signature on this board that truly served a purpose was John Pytlak's, but he is probably the easiest person ever to contact, so even the loss of his is no big loss.

Before everyone starts pointing fingers and trying to guess as to "who's fault" this was, no one person is responsible for the removal of signatures. Life will go on, and it will be better now that the extra clutter is gone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: