Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bringing your own tools to work (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bringing your own tools to work
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-09-2004 09:24 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering how many people bring their own tools (or other stuff) to work. Do you leave them there; if so, do you lock them up, or trust others, etc. Do you bring them because the theater is too cheap to buy some, or because you just like your own tools.

How many times do you think a show would have been lost if not for stuff you paid for yourself (tools or other supplies?)

I have a bet with a friend of mine. I think a large percentage of operators bring their own tools; he thinks not.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was an operator, I had my own tools. I kept them in my car. One theater I worked at had a very nice well-stocked toolbox. I usually didn't need to get my own tools. But sometimes I would just because I like using my tools. I would never leave them at the theater, for fear they would grow legs. The main reason I had my own tools was in case the theater's tools grew legs.

Don't know if a show was ever saved due to the fact that I had my tools, whereas it would be lost otherwise. But I did use them a lot during after-hours maintenance.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-09-2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most theaters are too cheap to buy their own tools, and even those that do, so long as the downstairs management/staff has access to them, they walk off. The only success I have had in keeping theater-purchased tools actually IN the projection booth without walking off is by locking them up and ONLY the projectionists have keys. If someone wants to borrow a tool, even if it is the GM of the theater, they must hand over their driver's license in exchange for it, which is then locked up in the tool cabinet. If they don't return the tool, they have no license until they produce it (even if it means they have to go to the store and buy another one out of their own pocket). It works.

As far as my personally working at theaters without sufficient tools, you wouldn't believe how many shows would've been lost had I not kept my tool kit in the car.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-09-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always bring my own. In my limited experience if I had to rely on a theatre to provide tools I would have even more limited experience.

On a long job I try to find a place to lock up my stuff when not in use. Otherwise everything goes out with me at the end of each day. I like to work with nice tools, which makes me a target of opportunity. I've had many tools "walk" out of my grip bag and road box over the years, so I don't trust anybody anymore.

For a while I tried to buy only the cheapest crap tools for use on calls--stuff that no one would steal. But things kept walking anyway, and I was working with crap. So I'm back to using good stuff--and keeping an eye on it all.

[ 11-25-2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-09-2004 11:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tools and an assortment of split reels, splicers, house reels, cue markers, leaders, junk film for testing, etc., which I will always bring with me when I'm working in an unfamiliar booth or one which I know is poorly equipped. Most commercial theatres that I have worked in do have good tools and supplies, and thus I don't normally bring my own when working in one of those venues where I am familiar with the booth. I no longer work in a commercial theatre on a regular basis, so I mostly end up doing fill-in jobs in places that don't run film on a daily basis, so having my own tools and supplies is often important and, if nothing else, makes the job easier as it keeps me from wasting time trying to find something.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is something that I will only use once or twice at work then I will bring my own from home. Tools for regular work are provided by the company.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-09-2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to use all my own hand tools including my own test gear. One thing your company should do for you is to have your test gear calibrated and or repaired when needed or required. None of my employers ever questioned that. Weather you leave your tools at work unlocked or locked in a burgler alarm secured van as I do is your choice and at your own risk. All of the contents of the van I drive are insured for full replacement cost. Even with full replacement cost insurance there are things like the THX R-2 analyzer which was a non replacable item for at least several years, but now there is the D-2 to replace it so its of little concern. At work we have a shop full of hand tools and I am fortunate to have a boss thats always adding to that pile of tools. But at work I do keep my Kennedy machinists chest with all my precision measuring and layout tools. I also keep that chest accessable to all other that work with me. They are very trustworthy people so I don't have any problem doing that, but I've worked for other employers that I wouldn't even consider doing that for. At me last place of employment I lost quite a few expensive tools including my Spectra Screen meter!

Mark @ CLACO

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just a projectionist, but being that I am maintenance as well I bring along a full ratchet set, screwdriver set, and power drill with different sized bits. Very rarely do these get used for anything other than seats, but its handy to have them. i post a huge risk leaving them there when I do, but frankly its worth it having a show with 286 seats that can seat 285 people [Smile] .

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Under no circumstance should you bring your own tools into work unless you are being paid to do so! This should hold true especially if you are working for a large corporate chain that can afford to purchase the needed equipment. This advice is coming from someone who was treated very badly by a major theatre chain!

I did an endless amount of work for this chain, via my own tools. My prime motive was just the sheer love of being able to put on a consistantly top-notch presentation. Being the "optimist", I was hoping that my efforts would be recognized and that I might be recommended for a service tech. position. Not! Its all about office politics. And I also chose to ignore friends and family who tried to tell me that I was just being taken advantage of; that I was being a sucker!

The work I did was extensive, and even prevented a dark screen for at least a week, which was the time period before the corporate service tech. could get on-site due to other committments.

While the corporate hq had their eyes on the particular theater where I worked, never once was I even thanked for my efforts. The gm was the type who took full credit for everything good (including financial rewards)w/o passing any of these rewards down the chain of command. On the other hand, if something went wrong, even if he directly ordered the error, he would distance himself from the situation and pass all discipline down his chain of command.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-09-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
The gm was the type who took full credit for everything good (including financial rewards)w/o passing any of these rewards down the chain of command.
Will,
A reward for a job well done is the LEAST important thing that should be on your mind. The experience of the job or jobs as a whole and the fact that you had a chance to do what you like is much more important. Weather or not you are being taken advantage of is also secondary. What you did get was experience both at repairing the booth equipment and at knowing how major chains treat their employees and vendors. Its not this way in all cases and had you percervered at this sort of work you may very well be working for an employer who is very good. When I look back I would say the first chain that I was employed by did somewhat take advantage of me. Looking back they were also somewhat amaturish but as a whole the experience I got was more than worth all the hassles of working there. After being in this buisness as long as I have I am now doing pretty much what I've wanted to do all along. It takes time and effort on your part to get to where you want to be. I've been fortunate to have arrived there but getting there did involve some ups and downs and alot of hard work and money spent on my part. Some might say that you have to pay your dues to get where you want to be, there are many ways to pay them.

Mark @ CLACO

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my own tools and such. I spent to much time looking for there tools. The theater did buy tools for projection and downstairs, but end up missing. As for have it lock up and only the projectionist havig a key, that some what pointless due to that a lot of projections are managers. I never had a problem of trying to get something fix due to the fact i had my own tools. I kept them lock up in a cabinet that only I had a key.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark

I greatly appreciate your point of view. On the other hand, the reality is that one also has to put food on the table, keep a roof over ones head and pay bills. You are correct in that yes, I did have a LOT of job satisfaction in being able to do what I enjoy. But like everyone else, one must be able to support ones-self and family while pursuing this rte.

And yes, I did establish a repuation in my neck of the woods. Not long after this old employer and I parted ways, I started getting tech-repair calls...all unsolicited and NOT referenced by that ex-employeer. So, I occasionally help out if and when I can.

Thankfully, I am now back in college completing my degree...in something that I really love but that I will also be able to make a comfortable living at.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-09-2004 11:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,
I never had much trouble putting food on the table and I will admit that we did have my then wifes income to fall back on if we needed to. Fortunately that was necessary just a few times till things "got going". In a short time alot of work came to me after I split from that first "chain". If you do a good job word spreads fast and income worries won't even come to thought because of the steady stream of work. Even when I decided it best to shut down the company for health reasons I still had more work that I wanted or could keep up with so I decided to work on two location film jobs that were offered me instead of theatre work. The film jobs allowed me to recouperate and then I discovered Utah....

Mark

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 03:21 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got lucky in that the original projectionist for my theater when it was built had several years of experience. He stocked the place full of very useful tools. The only problem is the one Brad mentioned about tools walking off and never coming back. About once a month I have to go on a tool hunt.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 03:44 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chain I work for meets us half way, thankfully.
They provide a decent tool kit when the place opens and so far I've been getting by ok with the small 25 pc set upstairs. Sometimes it ends up downstairs but for the most part it's complete.
I do however bring some of my tools and they don't stay in the building.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: