Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Have you ever been off-roading? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Have you ever been off-roading?
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-10-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today was my first experience in shotgun passenger off-road driving. It was exciting and terrifying all at the same time. Holding on for dear life and hoping that we don't drive off a cliff on the sharp turns or flip over because it was an SUV(Explorer '04). At over 40 mph most of the time.

It was with my cousin... I was forced into it because I could not just jump out of the SUV while he suddenly decided to go from paved road to dirt road at 40 mph. I managed to get footage of it(which I will post on my web site soon). But it basically looks like a lot of camera shaking. Although it is in fact off-road driving. Which was at Black Canyon City right after we got gas(before running on empty). "Exciting stuff" we had 65 miles until getting back to Phoenix and he didn't want to get gas when it was on "E"... But he was just scaring me, I played along anyway. Freaking out is what I do best. [Razz]

The SUV was a rental [Big Grin] [thumbsup] ... So, he would have done even more extensive damage if it was his own car. But if any real damage did happen to the rental, the company that my cousin works for would cover it. He works for Ford, so he test drives cars all the time.

A picture of my cousin and the SUV after about 10mins of off-roading to make sure the body of the car was still intact.

-

The whole trip was just supposed to be to Sedona, Flagstaff, and back to Phoenix. But instead my life flashed before my eyes so many times I got a headache. My cousin is one crazy ........

Anyways, have you ever been off-roading?

[ 10-11-2004, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Jennifer Pan ]

|  IP: Logged

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the truck that I use for off roading. [Smile]

-

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-10-2004 10:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Jen! I **TRIED** to read your post, but gave up! I could give a crap less as to what you posted!

Your ID pic is just toooo F*CKING HOT and a major distraction...

Ummmmm... EVEN for ME! [Wink]

Edit: JFC Josh! I hope the hell that "white stuff" in you pic ain't like SNOW or whatever! If so! That's it! Our date is OFF! I'm going to Mt. St. Helens! [evil]

>>> Phil

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-10-2004 10:32 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww... Phil [Smile] I knew you wouldn't like what I posted... I just felt like posting so you could just see my ID pic [Wink]

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That white stuff scares you away.... hmmmmmm....

Now I know why I am living up here. [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-10-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Josh...
I grew up and lived near Detroit Michigan until I was 23...and while in college. While I really enjoyed the summers and we lived on a lake so I was a big-time water-skier, I grew to HATE it! I really felt how useless it was to try to control one's car in the snow and ice in the winters and how hot and humid it was in the summer..

I specifically remember one incident when I was a 16mm newsreel cameraman for ABC... We were at the top of the freeway on ramp...stopped for a red light. Then, we just slide down the hill and crashed into all the other cars at the bottom...there was NO controlling it... Mother Nature was in control. Yeah! Snow/ice is COOL!

You know... I came to understand...why bother having your hands on the steering wheel when the ice and wind will take the car where IT wants... GOD! I HATED the snow, ice, and cold.

SoCal is God's country. Been here 30 years... unfortunately since I'm not working,, God also charges an arm and leg to live here... so I'll probably move Texas! HAhahaha

>>> Phil

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 11:55 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a '78 Jeep CJ-7 and a 99' Wrangler that I took off-road a lot. Can't beat a Jeep off road.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-11-2004 02:14 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic... But I don't feel this was necessary to start a new thread. This is just a comment on how awesome of a weekend I'm having... With all the traveling because my cousin is in town.

But anyways... About 2 hours ago my cousin decides that its really boring just sitting at home and that we should go cruisin' or something. So we do and we drive by "college town" (downtown Tempe, AZ)... and I point out the Improv club. So we go there and believe it are not some guy needed a ride home and couldn't see the show, is outside the club. So my cousin... the crazy man himself just chit chats with him as I go up to the club to see when the shows start. So the guy gives us the tickets for free.. just for taking him home. Guess who's the main act "Jay Mohr" the comedian/actor. The tickets weren't fake and we got in just in time to see his act. It was extremely awesome [Smile] considering the fact that it was also my first Improv/comedy show I've ever been to.

Back to cars... I kind of envy my cousin because of how great his job is. He gets to travel(not consistently, but during certain months of the year). But yeah, an engineer of something something or other... And test driving cars that are not even out yet is just plain awesome. He even goes off-roading in economy cars, tears those babies up without looking back. "oops... that will leave a mark [Big Grin] ... ooooh that didn't sound too good" (after hearing the bottom of the car being torn to shreds)

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 02:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My most memorable off-roading experience was being talked into driving a truck pulling a friend's newly bought, inoperative VW convertible on a home-made tow bar; the bug moved like a prehensile tail on the towbar even at 45 mph, & somewhere in the uncharted regions of Georgia, in the middle of the night, in a pouring rain, jack-knifed and slung us all whirly whirly round & round ending up about 100 feet from the road in a swiftly, inexorably sinking sea of kudzu. Abandon ship! Run! Run! Or slowly slog through the waist deep, kudzu-covered mudhole to get back to the road.

God it was a horrible hitchhiking trip in the rain winding up in the cab of the truck with the carny people. The lady sitting by the door was surreptitiously but thoroughly & vigorously groping my petrified friend, & her husband drove next to me while chatting maniacally & showing me all the guns he had deposited around the cab of the truck.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 02:52 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
Can't beat a Jeep off road.
There you go. We had a 1943 Willys Jeep that we used to take out in the hills in southern Montana. That thing would go anywhere. It would probably still drive rings around almost anything today and was a blast to drive too. I learned to drive a "stick shift" on that Jeep. I wish I'd taken pictures of those days, but I would have been crazy to carry a camera...it would have bounced out for sure.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 03:50 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a jeep thing!
 -

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-11-2004 03:58 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice [thumbsup]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got it stuck once when I first got it. It had cheap street tires on it, and I got caught in some soft sand. I haven't got stuck since, but I didn't found any real mud in Florida. Now that I live in Omaha......

Rick

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can a frameless (unibody) vehicle like most current light SUV's stand up to serious off-road use? My 'car', a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, fits that category but I've never used it that way. That was always the principle different between the Grand Cherokee and the boxier looking Cherokee; the Cherokee was built on a frame. Too bad it was discontinued in favor of the ugly POS "Liberty".

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 03:57 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it most certainly can. My father works for Chrysler (has for 25 years) and I've been to Jeep events since the Jeep Grand Cherokee came out in 93. That thing is almost as capable as a wrangler, althought the wrangler's 4 wheel drive system is a lot different. The Wrangler uses a 4 Wheel Drive system where all the wheels spin the same speed, so that it's like one unit. The Grand Cherokee has various types, but it's very capable. The only thing I (and my father) recommend is skid plates under the body and some decent tires. That thing will do nicely off road. And they take a beating too [evil]

Edit: PS - the Liberty does a great job off-road too, although probably the least of the 3 Jeeps. The Cherokee (sqaures) were an awesome split between Wrangler and Grand

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: