Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is this a 3 phase electrical outlet? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Is this a 3 phase electrical outlet?
Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a 3 phase electrical outlet? It was used with a very powerful air conditioner. Could it be 2 phase, 220V? I figured this question was too general to be put into any other area of the site.

-

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-10-2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like what I plug my dryer into (except mine isn't covered in dust from a cremated human body). I am not an electrician, so I will say "Yes it is 3 phase". Or not. Probably not true 3 phase, but definitely "More powah!" 60 amps! More than enough for the VCR!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-10-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks to me like a single phase 220v outlet (similar to a dryer outlet).

A true '3-phase' outlet should have four holes (3 for the power conductors, one for ground).

Find the breaker that feeds that outlet... How many poles does it have? if it has only one or two, it is single phase.

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-10-2004 11:44 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a 240v/20Amp single phase outlet w/o safety ground but a neutral subbing for a ground simular to the feed I use to execute Rach's gerbil! (or what ever that pathtic animal WAS!)

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave Richard Gere and his gerbil out of this!

EDIT: Oops he said "Rach's" and not "Richard".

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

I think you hit the nail on the head. This was used for a super-duper air conditioner in the distant past. It has one pole feeding into it. It's hidden behind a forgotten cubby hole, thus the dust. So Joe was at least part right. I didn't know hair dryers use that kind of outlet.

Phil,

Don't let Richard Gere hear you say that. Oh my...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-11-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yous both are f*ckin' sick! Especially you Joe Moderator! I expected more from you than that stupid-ass comment! (Thank GOD there are NO more sigs!)

However, you are both right.... Rach's animal in question is NOT a gerbil but a Hamster.

SO, yous both can go F.off! But the question STILL remains...

What is the Hampster Method?

Brad? Would you please explain it to us dumbasses!

(Steve...PLEASE help me with the correct use of the possesive/plurals/etc)

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Guttag or Steve Kraus?

Guttag is busy converting the Senator Theater for a platter system.

Kraus is busy being hosed off of someone's lawn.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 01:29 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks exactly the same as the majority os single phase plugs used in NZ/Oz, 22- - 250 v

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If in doubt, check here

or, for twist lock connectors, here

It looks like a NEMA 10-20R to me, but it could be a 10-50R, it's difficult to be sure of the size from the picture. Either way, it's 125/250V, not three phase; unless of course somebody has used the connector for the wrong purpose.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-11-2004 01:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas the picture shows a single gang...utility or "handy" box, the size of the opening places the outlet in a 20-amp class.

The pin configuration is of the NEMA type 10-20R. I'm surprised that they still even offer the things. There is no ground assoicated with this outlet. There are two hots (out of phase with each other) and a neutral. Thus, two circuits of 120 VAC at 20 amps or a single circuit of 240VAC at 20 amps may be obtained. Some devices may need both 240 (for say a heating circuit) and 120VAC for control circuits.

Nowadays, NEMA type 14 outlets should be used since a ground terminal is also offered.

Steve

PS...the Senator theatre has had a platter since about 1980 or so...a Christie AW-370.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 11:43 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed a 240 volt 20 amp single phase. We had a bunch of 'em at the old (now demolished ) Olympic Theater and they were used for portable 240 volt heaters in the dressing rooms below stage.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to know what it is, stick a voltmeter in it.

The outlet configuration will not tell you reliably whether it is single-phase or three-phase, it'll merely give you an indication as to the voltage (i.e. whether it is 120V, 220-240V ish, 277V, 480V, etc.). (Of course, if it had 3 hots, then you would know it was 3-phase, but that's not a situation we're in here.)

If the there is a 3-phase panelboard (120/208-Y), then it'd be 208V outlet. If it's a single-phase panelboard, it would be 240V. You cannot reliably tell just by looking (not to mention that even if you could, somebody could have wired it wrong, which does happen).

--jhawk

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 12:46 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are awesome. Thanks a bunch. I have never used this outlet and never will. I was just curious. Cheers.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 01:15 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Nowadays, NEMA type 14 outlets should be used since a ground terminal is also offered.
Alternativly, dump the NEMA junk and use decent connectors [Smile]

web page for example.

The US and international versions of these things are slightly different, but the US range includes a four pin orange one for 120/240V use, and there is a 20A version. Over here the international versions of these things have pretty well replaced all of the older 'industrial' connectors. They're robust, don't rely on recognising and remembering odd shapes and positions of pins to know what they are, are available in versions cover all Voltages from 24 up to 600 plus special versions for things like D.C and high frequency supplies. 3,4 or 5 pins, plus versions for 60A upwards have an extra, short, pin for an interlock, so they don't break a live circuit.

I've seen the 240V versions in McDonalds, supplying cooking equiment, but they don't seem very common over there. In Europe you find them just about everywhere, except in the home.

Over here the NEMA connectors are not approved for use at mains Voltage. Years ago the two-pin ones were used for things like power outputs on amplifiers. You can buy NEMA connectors here, mainly intended for use on equipment for export, but the decent ones are expensive. RS Components, nothing to do with Radio Shack, for example sell decent Hubbell re-wireable connectors. A 5-15 plug will set you back over £10, about $18, a receptacle to fit it about $25.

The cheap NEMA plugs nearly always seem to run warm when carrying any significant load; they just don't seem to make a good contact. I certainly wouldn't want to use them for high current.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: