Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Broadband Over Power Lines (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Broadband Over Power Lines
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 10:31 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another option to cable, DSL, fiber and other broadband conduits:

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3421911

quote:

FCC: Make Way for Speed Over Power
By Roy Mark
October 14, 2004

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved rules today clearing the way for commercial deployment of broadband over power lines (BPL). The decision classifies BPL as an unlicensed service with the rules primarily aimed at limiting interference with licensed radio services.

Broadband transmissions over electric power lines are not shielded to prevent radio interference in the same manner as telephone and cable lines. They can cause interference with certain radio frequencies. Amateur radio operators, in particular, have opposed BPL.

The rules impose new technical requirements on BPL equipment and establish "excluded frequency bands" that BPL must entirely avoid to protect aeronautical and aircraft communications.

In addition, "exclusion zones" are established in locations near sensitive operations, such as coast guard stations, where BPL must avoid operating on some frequencies. The rules also require power companies to consult with public safety agencies and federal government radio installations before deploying the technology through their power grids.

Amateur radio operators received no exclusions, but the rules require the establishment of a publicly available BPL notification database to help identify and resolve harmful interference claims.

"The [electricity] penetration rate probably exceeds that of telephone systems and cable systems. More amazingly, it reaches every outlet of every home," FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell said.

Pat Wood, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission chairman, issued a statement saying, "This technology holds tremendous potential, not just in providing new avenues for communications services, but in helping electricity systems operate more efficiently and reliably."

The nascent technology is already being used in Manassas, Va., and Cincinnati, Ohio, and more than 40 trials are under way throughout the country. With today's FCC approval, power companies are expected to step up efforts to provide a broadband alternative to cable modems and DSL.

"We talk so often about competition," Powell said. "Well here it is. All economists will tell you that magic happens when you find a third way.

"Just a few short years ago, critics argued that competition for the 'last mile' would never become a reality, because no one could duplicate or bypass the telephone line that ran from the curb into the home," Powell added. "BPL provides us with a potential new competitor in the broadband market."

While saying the broadband market is desperate for more competition, FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps said he was disappointed that the decision "dodges the hardest BPL questions; issues such as universal service, disabilities access, E911, pole attachments, competition protections, and, critically, how to handle the potential for cross-subsidization between regulated power businesses and unregulated communications businesses remain up in the air."

Copps asked, "Is it right to allow electricity rate players to pay higher bills every month to subsidize an electric company's foray into broadband?"

FERC Commissioner Nora Mead Brownell, who, along with Wood, attended the FCC meeting, praised BPL as the vanguard of new technologies that will ride over the nation's power grid.

"The vast majority of today's power system features technology that reached its zenith 50 years ago. Broadband over power line services will empower customers while improving grid reliability and security," Brownell said. "It illustrates how investing in our electricity delivery system will deliver tangible customer and economic benefits."

http://www.commsdesign.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=49901747

quote:
FCC adopts rules for broadband over power lines

Patrick Mannion
Oct 14, 2004 (1:10 PM)
URL: http://www.commsdesign.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=49901747

MANHASSET, N.Y. — The Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday (Oct. 14) to modified its rules to open the door to the widespread deployment of broadband access over power lines. The action is designed to both foster broadband penetration and increase competition while enhancing management of the national power grid.

As a result of the ruling, power utilities can now provide broadband to their customers, competing with traditional last-mile-access schemes such as DSL and cable as well as newer options such as meshed Wi-Fi networks and upcoming WiMax deployments. The facilities can also improve management through faster feedback and advanced power-grid management.

Providing broadband over power lines (BPL) is an attractive broadband scheme because power lines reach every home. In addition, the distribution of broadband to home would be simplified since users need only a single device plugged into a socket to obtain broadband access.

"We all know by now that our country is now number 11 in broadband penetration," said Commissioner Michael J. Copps in a statement following the issuance of the R&O. "That's pretty hard to take."

The FCC approved its report and order despite objections from licensed wireless users such as cellular and ham radio operators who consider BPL to be a serious contributor to interference. While the rules include specific steps to address concerns, including requiring rapid resolution of complaints and an adaptive approach to deployment, Copps remained wary. Copps the new rules "dodged the hardest BPL questions," that include universal service, disabilities access, E911, pole attachments, competition protections and "critically, how to handle the potential for cross-subsidization between regulated power businesses and unregulated communications businesses remain up in the air."

While BPL systems have been deployed and are undergoing testing, issues still remain about the best way to avoid interference with existing services. The abililty of orthogonal frequency division multiplexing to drop carriers and hence avoid certain bands makes it a promising technology.

Other issues include safely coupling broadband data from the medium-voltage distribution lines to the low-voltage lines to the home. Schemes to overcome this include hanging a wireless box off the utility pole to provide wireless access to multiple subscribers.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even in a country as small as Britain this is potentially excellent news. The telephone line-based ADSL system we have can only serve places up to 6km from the exchange (and even then it's only recently been extended from 3km), with the result that around a quarter of the population simply can't get broadband. This includes a friend of mine who lives in a village in the Vale of York, despite the fact that he's only 13 miles from a city of half a million inhabitants.

That having been said, one potential drawback of broadband over power lines is that it could disrupt a proposed digital replacement for short wave radio - Story here (link to BBC News Online report that broadband through power lines could disrupt the proposed 'Digital Radio Mondiale' replacement for short wave analogue international public service broadcasting).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is added competition that will help lower my DSL bill, then that's great.

As far as emerging broadband standards go, I think "WiMax" is going to have an even greater impact. The 802.16 wireless standard, in its latest form, allows for up to 70 million bits per second data transfer. The end user can receive the signal up to 30 miles away from the tower. This may be the one thing that finally connects a lot of people in rural areas impossible to service by hard wired DSL/Cable methods. The data transfer rate of WiMax has potential to far outdo the best offerings of Cable and certainly DSL.

Intel, in spite of its woes (cancelling the 4GHz PentiumIV and pushing back release schedules of other chips) seems on track to have a WiMax "system on chip" process to be available to install into notebook computers and other appliances by mid to end of 2005.

I also believe WiMax may quickly replace many of the commercial efforts of installing WiFi hotspots in hotels, restaurants, rest stops, etc. At the very least, I would expect WiMax to replace the pay version WiFi hotspots. SBC announced they would install thousands of WiFi hotspots in many places, such as McDonalds locations and UPS stores. Existing SBC/Yahoo! DSL customers would pay $1.99 per month to access the hot spots. That may be nice in the short term. But those hot spots may not be needed if you can access your WiMax ISP account almost anywhere. Once the 802.16 and 802.20 standards are fully implemented, that may be the case.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-18-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't quite as good as it sounds--there are many concerns over the possibility that IP-over-power-lines schemes may cause serious RF interference problems. (i.e. no free lunch)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2004 05:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the reports of interference with other means of radio transmission, I'm not sure I would approve of the BPL method. One aspect of it that seemed kind of promising would be a limited implementation of it on the end user level. I think it was a Wired Magazine article that said the electrical wiring in one's house could be used as an antennae to receive broadband signals and then pass to any computer in the house.

Still, I think wireless is the way to go. The 802.11b/g standards are already very popular for home/office wireless networking. The 802.11n standard is fixing to be launched, which will cover greater distances. Then there's WiMax.

The wireless method would allow numerous competitors to put up their own towers and compete for customers in the same market. That model is not much different from what exists for cellphone customers today, with the exception that WiMax providers will probably have to offer a competitive, flat monthly access fee rather than charge users a ton of money for the amount of "minutes" they use.

With Cable/DSL service, and even the BPL idea, you're stuck with one given provider for whatever type of method you are using. Wireless providers will have the advantage in that they don't have to lay down any physical lines for that "last mile" to each customer's house.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-18-2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BPL would only mean more trouble receiving my HDTV transmissions. Screw that.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-18-2004 07:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wireless technologies will never become the mainstream broadband method. The cost per new customer is way too high when site surveys and installation is factored in.

The limited bandwidth is also a major problem. 70 megabits per sector panel / etc is way too little to be cost effective.

Startup and expansion cost are, not unlike other technologies, very high. However they are much, much, much higher per reachable customer.

The only places that can cost effectively support a wireless internet presence are highly populated areas which about 150% of the time are covered by at least one, and usually two, other competing, faster, and more reliable, technologies.

As for BPL... we had some of the equipment in the labs around here for awhile... the amount of junk RF noise generated is frightening. Although, the transmitters self powering themselves via induction is pretty cool.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2004 07:27 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl and Scott are right on target! [thumbsup]

Here in SoCal, for the last umpteen years we have had the power company (SCE) sending Air-conditioner/Cloths Dryer/etc shutdown commands over the power lines (Via a power-company-installed "black box"). IF you signed up for the "service" you got a BIG discount in your billing rate. It is strictly voluntary. [puke]

The premise was they could cut you off (of only those appliances) during periods of very high power demands.

(Yeah, like I'm REALLY interested in sweating my ass off with NO A/C cuz everyone else demands A/C?) HA!

To me, it was just ANOTHER excuse for "big brother" to persuade the general public to support a false sense of "Green Power" by having the big corps NOT have to meet customer demands. [fu]

A bunch of BS!

Now, as Brad would ask me, where did I put my "calm-down" pills...??? [Razz] [Wink]

>>> Phil

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big discount, eh?

Is it actually a bi-directional system where the device reports load back to the utility company, or does it just accept the commands?

i.e. Is there any reason you have to leave the thing connected? Or does it even require a minimum load for them not to be suspicious? Hey, look, my disco ball stopped spinning... must be power saving time!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil's too honest to cheat. And too busy with those Hollywood street kidz.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, I really don't know.

When I moved into a newly-purchased house in Simi Valley CA back in 1994, it was a device already attached to the A/C I inquired about.

Needless to say, after finding out about it, I removed it...so I really have no clue.

BTW: Leave my disco balls alone! [Wink]

(Yeah Steve... I'm sure there are many in Chicago that could use your support and help... $$$ and/or time too...)

>>> Phil

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 09:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's too busy chasing young'ins on internet forums.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-18-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevada Power does the same thing here (load management, not chasing jail bait [Big Grin] ), but it's by RF and cuts off only the central A/C. The cutoff is only for 10 minutes or so each hour during peak times. Even with our afternoon temps in the 110s, being without A/C for such a short time goes unnoticed.

Noise on the power lines and goofy power factors are already issues what with all the switching power supplies out there these days. BPL will make things even worse.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2004 03:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl, O'Shea
Steve's too busy chasing young'ins on internet forums.
He's a been busy chasing young'ins since I've known him. Nothing wrong with that as long as they're not too young'in. Steve is growing near that 50 mark as fast as I am ya know.....

Mark

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 07:16 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most power companies have their hands full just keeping the juice on! They don't have any expertise in the RF field and, believe me, they're gonna need it if they venture into this quagmire! There's serious interference issues to FCC licensed radio services including amateur, emergency services, and even shortwave broadcasting. By the way, there's NO protection required if the system RECEIVES interference from these services. You're just out of luck if you modem goes numb! This is basically flawed technology that won't stand up to real world RF conditions. I spent the last 10 years of my working life in the RFI (radio freq inerference) EMI (electromagnetic interference) business. [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: