Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-Rs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-Rs
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-20-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly sure if this has been talked about before. But I saw Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-Rs on the shelves and I am intrigued to whether or not they are any better or equal.

Has anyone tried these vinyl CD-Rs out?

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those little vinyl discs are a pain.
You've got to buy a bunch of adapters for them.
You can switch one adapter between discs, but they start to fatigue & break.

-

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-20-2004 03:46 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Verbatim makes the highest quality removable media on the planet. Period.

If vinylish looking CD-Rs are any good, or even crappy, Verbatim will make the best ones.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 07:59 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm . . . these are not vinyl CD-Rs (which I don't belive would be technically possible, I would be suprised if vinyl could be made reflective enough to meet spec), they are just conventional everyday aluminum CD-Rs that have been manufactured with a kind of retro looking black label area suggestive of old 33 1/3 and 45 rpm vinyl lp's and singles. I have used them at up to 12x writing speed with no problems.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-20-2004 11:37 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, that is what I figured. That it was just some coating to look cool.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-20-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Verbatim makes the highest quality removable media on the planet. Period.
In the archive world Mitsui optical media are believed by many to be the most reliable over the long term (of course it could be that by 'highest quality' you had other criteria in mind besides data longevity, in which case the below doesn't apply). This topic comes up regularly on the Society of Archivists and AMIA listservs, and I've yet to hear any substantive rebuttal of the claim that Mitsui discs are formulated specifically with long-term data storage in mind, and therefore are likely to outlast most competitors.

But that having been said, the issue really boils down to the fact that we have no hard independent data when it comes to optical disc media longevity - the same situation as when colour dye fading was discovered in the '70s. It could potentially be useful if a respected and independent organisation such as the Image Permanence Institute systematically Arrhenius tested every brand of DVD-R on the market and published the results (yes, I know that we shouldn't rely too heavily on accelerated aging, but it would be a start).

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, those faux-45-looking Verbatims are not so-called "music" CD-Rs for audio CD recorders...they can only be used in computer CD burners. A colleague at work bought several boxes of these discs, only to find the Sony audio CD recorder we got wouldn't accept them.

As silly as the "music" CD-R distinction is (that is, except to the music industry in their desire to collect royalties), Verbatim should have made the vinyl-lookalike CD-Rs compatible with audio CD recorders, increased price and all. Then they would really have had a gimmick... [Roll Eyes]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-20-2004 02:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They also have DVDs that look like film reels:

-

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-20-2004 05:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "reel" design reminds me more of a 10" reel of 1/4" audiotape than a film reel.

I usually use Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs (not for long-term storage; that's what tape is for); does anyone have an opinion on how they compare to Mitsumi?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-20-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Verbatim does NOT make the best DVD-R's on the planet. The ones that look like film reels are retarded.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-20-2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Joe. They do not look like any film format reels nor do they look like any tape format reels, Scott.

They remind me of the wanna-be film & video guys/companies that have NO clue as to ANY of those formats.

quote: That Scott guy!
I usually use Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs... anyone have an opinion on how they compare to Mitsumi?
Yeah... they both suck! [evil]

>>> Phil

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-20-2004 05:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil--if you double the number of cut-out sections, this reel looks pretty close to the "reel" depicted on the Verbatim product:

-

(the whole thing wouldn't fit on my scanner; deal)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-20-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool, Scott. But who's counting "cut-outs"? I'd rather look at the shapes! Hubba Hubba!

Also, a couple of things:

1) Get a bigger scanner.
2) "Grand Master" on the 456 reels has ALWAYS really turned me on...

>>> Phil

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is very little room to write anything on those Verbatim DVDs. The fake tape is just plain sloppy looking. And yes, I do have some 10 1/2" reels for 1/4" tape that look a lot like those DVDs.

I used some of the "vinyl" CDs to make copies of an oldies compilation CD I put together. I thought that was the perfect use for them.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-21-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, if you can print up your own labels for CD's, maybe these templates might be of some assistance to you. They are way-cool just to look at on their own, and can bring you wayyyy back in some cases [Smile]

You will be asked to enter a password, which is labels

enjoy!

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: