Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do you go out of your way to watch TV shows shot on Film?

Author Topic: Do you go out of your way to watch TV shows shot on Film?
Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever noticed that some TV shows just look better than others because of the way they are taped/filmed and the skill of the DP. I kind of got used to not really paying much attention until just lately.
If you ever watched English TV years ago, video was always used inside (studio shots) and film was always used outside (union rules or something) and the difference was sometimes shocking when the editor would make a cut from in to out.
There are a few shows that I normally wouldn't watch this season but now I watch them, and only if I can see them on at least a 25" to 30 " monitor. "Two and a Half Men" (low concept sit com) is shot on three perf 35mm film using 500 speed Kodak Vision2 5218 negative. This Kodak product has low grain and good sensitivity to light and really looks great on television. Of course its obvious "Friends" was shot on film!... And they had the bucks to shoot with 5 ea 35mm Panavision cameras, one Panavision XL and the rest Panavision Golds and the best 6:1 and 10:1 Primo zoom lens money can buy. "Will and Grace" is another show shot on film to especially catch the beautifull warm colors and look of the sets. Its really a combination of 3 things ,working in synergy together, that give these filmed shows the edge over the state of the art HD Panavision cameras.
Its a comb. of the: right lens/camera, film stock & lighting expertise. "8 Simple Rules" is shot on VIDEO, and a side by side comparison with any of the above filmed shows would make you cry. Tonite when you watch TV, look at the picture real close, is it film or is it video, in the hands of a master, FILM wins out every time.Its the subtleties of the lighting, the colors, etc. Here are just a few more shows shot on 35mm film. "The West Wing", "The Sopranos" is shot on Super 35, " Alias"(they do a lot of the effects in camera), and last but not least is my favorite: CSI. On one scene the DP pushed the [Kodak Vision 800T] stock two stops, at 12 frames per second, and transferred to video at 12 frames per second. The article I read said the DP even ran the shutter of the Panavision XL out of sync, at plus 70, and used fog filters to push highlights to get the shot.”
Just be careful of the video bait and switch during re-run season, "Mash" was also shot on film, but I remember watching the re-runs in the 80's, they were on two different channels at the same time, one was a film chain copy and one channel was showing a video dupe. It was fun to switch back and forth and see the difference.The video was just flat, like a soda compared to the film.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-21-2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the show for me. I have never seen ONE EPISODE of a show like "Barney Miller", simply because it's crappy, watery video. They resemble high-school plays, and for some programs, I can't get past that. Straight video-originated programming registers a certain "cheapness" that rubs me the wrong way. It translates to lower production value, which I guess is neither here nor there, but makes me feel shortchanged in the quality department. Again, it really depends on the show. I can watch "Sanford and Son" till the cows come home.

Video is fine for how-to programs, certain sitcoms, and "throw away" drivel like reality, talk, and game shows. But for dramatic and entertainment subjects, film is an aesthetically better choice.

There are some convincing FILM LOOK filters that have been used on some shows for a while now, and they're getting pretty good with them. A lot of times I can't even tell the difference -- which is great.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather watch a show shot in black-and-white 16mm with mono sound shown without any onscreen logos than anything on HDTV today with continous onscreen crap!

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-21-2004 02:26 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like some of the shows CBS has to offer. Requirement is 1080/60i on D-5. However, 1080/24P and 35mm film are acceptable acquisition formats. "CSI" was filmed in Super 35mm film for even higher picture quality; and "The Education of Max Bickford" were taped in 1080/24P shot in HD.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer Pan wrote:
quote: Jennifer Pan
However, 1080/24P and 35mm film are acceptable acquisition formats. "CSI" was filmed in Super 35mm film for even higher picture quality
Hi Jennifer,

Super 35mm is not a higher quality format, actually the image area used for theatrical release is smaller than Academy, Scope or full frame (the "super" prefix is misleading, it's not like Super-8 vs. 8mm or Super-16 vs. regular 16mm where the "super" image is indeed larger).

If Super-35 is used for TV , it becomes quite easy to extract both a 4:3 version and a 16:9 wide format version for future use, but there's nothing super about the format...

Here's more about it:

Super 35 common top/common center definition

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-21-2004 05:34 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know its easy to extract to those ratios. I meant to say that the quality would be better than the 24P. Which is done on tape or HD. All I heard was that CSI was filmed in "Super 35 mm film". I wasn't emphasizing the "Super" to mean its the best format out there. That's what they called it. I'm only saying it how I hear it.

Only referring to the fact that the "picture" looks better, i.e. a more cinematic feel than many television shows, and the use of "in-wound" special effects is one of the things that makes it truly stand out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-21-2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CBS shows seem to vary for me. CSI: Generic looks alright. CSI: Miami looks really good. CSI: NY looks fairly soft. The Miami one seems to have fewer compression artifacts. I can easily see the film grain on all three shows. That "Cold Case" show really exaggerates its film grain in its flashback scenes, which gets old fast. A lot of the sitcoms I have been seeing seem to be shot at 24p, but I see no film grain. Doesn't look like video however. WB seems to be soft in it's HD presentation except for Superboi. Interestingly, PBS does not always have an onscreen logo in HD.

But to answer the question, no I don't go out of my way to watch shows that were shot on film. If I did, I'd miss awesome shows like Married With Children. I wouldn't even be able to watch the news!

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer,
I should have known you knew! [Embarrassed] I propose your immediate promotion to Film Goddess status. [thumbsup] - But you wouldn't believe the ideas some people get about S-35 - I remember a well known film critic telling me about "James Cameron's great use of Super 35...Kodak makes a special film stock for him that has 3 times more resolution than usual!"

Back to the original question: I don't like dramatic programs with a video look, many American TV programs are outstanding for the creative use of film photography, that's what makes them successful all over the world.
But with Sitcoms, to me content is important, not the style. MARRIED WITH CHILDREN is one of my favourites too although it looks dreadful soft, and in Europe we get these shows NTSC-to-PAL converted which doesn't do much for image quality.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-21-2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TV Guide and the newspaper equivalents are so useless. How can I make an informed viewing decision without knowing what format a show was shot in?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-21-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Steve. All TV listings should list:

-Frames per second
-Method of shooting (SD Video, HDTV, Film, 70mm, IMAX, IMAX X-TREME, etc)
-If normal SD video, then original format must be listed (NTSC, PAL, SECAM)
-Brand and models of equipment used to shoot.
-Method of presentation (Low Definition, High Definition, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc)
-16:9 or 4:3 (also 4:3 stretched to 16:9)
-If 4:3, will there be black bars or grey bars on a 16:9 screen?
-Mono, Stereo, Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital Pro Logic IIx, DTS-ES, etc.
-Bitrate for DTV version
-Editing software used (Final Cut Pro, Avid, etc)

All of this should be listed before running time and information on what the show is about.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2004 12:09 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How can I make an informed viewing decision without knowing what format a show was shot in?"

They ought to display that information at the bottom of the screen and keep it there all the time, just like the network logos! [Razz]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2004 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don E. Nelson
Just be careful of the video bait and switch during re-run season, "Mash" was also shot on film, but I remember watching the re-runs in the 80's, they were on two different channels at the same time, one was a film chain copy and one channel was showing a video dupe. It was fun to switch back and forth and see the difference.The video was just flat, like a soda compared to the film.
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, Don. A video dupe of a film origination is a de-facto film chain copy (although the term 'film chain' is out of date). As a matter of fact, all film-originated network programming is transferred to videotape for network playback, which should not compromise its supposed "film-look" at all. Here at CBS, Two and a Half Men, a show who's look you admire, plays back to the network off a Sony D-2 tape and a Panasonic D-5 for the HD net. In fact, I don't think that there is a television station in America that still has a direct-to-air film-chain, almost 100% of off-network syndication, film or not, is transmitted from any one of a number of satellite distribution services, and recorded on tape (or, increasingly, video servers) for playback. The process doesn't render anything "flat like a soda" at all.

Some of the greatest and most beloved sitcoms ever aired were video. All In The Family, The Cosby Show, Sanford and Son, Home Improvement, Rosanne, Three's Company, Married With Children, The Jeffersons, Golden Girls, The Nanny, and on and on. People laughed for years, and they are still laughing in reruns. And not at the resolution and color rendition.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-22-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film cinematography has won many Emmys over the years:

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/cinematographer/printer_10117.shtml

quote:
2004 Emmy Cinematographers
By Staff
Sep 17, 2004, 14:31

Read about this year's Emmy nominees in the narrative competition that includes miniseries/movies of the week, multi-camera series and single camera series.

The ASC honors cinematographers shooting television shows:

http://www.theasc.com/clubhouse/news/index.htm

quote:
Fourteen nominees are vying for top honors in three television categories of the 18th Annual ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards competition. Winners will be named at the ASC Awards gala on Feb. 8, at the Century Plaza Hotel.
Nominees for one episode of a regular series are John Aronson for “Dead Wives Club”/Crossing Jordan (NBC), Thomas A. Del Ruth, ASC for “7AWF83429”/The West Wing (NBC), Jeffrey Jur, ASC for “Pick A Number”/Carnivale(HBO), Chris Manley for “Dr. Germ”/Threat Matrix (ABC), and Eric Schmidt for “Time to Hate”/Cold Case (CBS).
Click here for all of the TV Series nominee bios.

Nominations in the TV movie/miniseries/pilot category in the basic cable or pay television competition include Stephen Goldblatt, ASC, BSC for Angels in America (HBO), Michael Mayers for The Pentagon Papers (FX), Donald M. Morgan, ASC for Out of the Ashes (Showtime), Tami Reiker for the Carnivale pilot (HBO), and Ashley Rowe, BSC for Tennessee Williams’ The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (Showtime).
Click here for all of the TV Cable nominee bios.

Nominees in the TV movie/miniseries/pilot category for network television are Pierre Gill, CSC for Hitler: The Rise of Evil (CBS), Ernest Holzman, ASC for the Miracles pilot (ABC), Michael Mayers for The Lyon’s Den pilot (NBC), Bill Roe, ASC for the Las Vegas pilot (NBC), and Eric Van Haren Noman, ASC for Brush With Fate (CBS).
Click here for all of the TV Network nominee bios.

“Our juries saw a lot of very special work in all categories,” says Awards Committee Chairman Owen Roizman, ASC. “It isn’t easy selecting nominees because the decisions are subjective. We are judging how effectively images convey stories. The votes were so close there could have been seven or eight nominees in each category.”

Mayers was nominated in two categories. Roizman notes that is only the fourth time that has happened in the 18-year history of the competition. It was the eighth nomination for Del Ruth who has four wins, the sixth each for Roe who has two wins and for Morgan who has four wins, the fourth for Van Haren Noman, the third for Goldblatt and Holzman who has one win, and the second each for Gill and Jur – who took top prize last year in the movie/miniseries/pilot competition for cable television. There are five first-time nominees.

NBC programs lead the pack with four nominations, HBO and CBS each have three, both Showtime and ABC have two, and the FX Network earned one.

ASC President Richard Crudo notes that this is one of the few competitions for television cinematography where judging is done solely by peers.

“Great cinematography is generally designed to be transparent to the audience,” he explains. “It’s meant to evoke emotions appropriate for the story and to create a sense of time and place that are important sub-texts. This requires a combination of artistic talent and technical skill and the ability to collaborate and get the work done on schedule, usually within restrictive budgets. It generally takes a cinematographer to recognize those attributes.”

For additional information about the 18th Annual ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards visit our Awards Page or call (323) 969-4333.

The Kodak website has quite a few articles and interviews:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/16mm/exposed/index.jhtml?id=0.1.4.13&lc=en

quote:
We asked 14 of the television industry’s renowned producers and cinematographers from around the world to reveal their thoughts about film and electronic capture. They talked to us about their experiences with both. What works for them and why. What they like– and don’t like. Where they see things going in the future. And how they make their choice in the first place.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2004 02:40 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do the people in the industry tolerate having their work ruined by onscreen logos? I know people "in the biz" get screener discs free of logos and commercials, but don't they care about how most of the country sees their work? I'd never allow anything I worked on to be ruined that way, I don't see why these people do.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-22-2004 06:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I like onscreen logos. I'm not smart enough to know what channel I'm watching, so they're really helpful to me. I just wish that they were bigger and more opaque. What I really like is on Fox where they take advantage of the left bottom 1/4 of the screen to have Bernie Mac come and or Method in Red or whatever and and do a funny animation that takes up 1/4th the screen. Yay! Fox is neat!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: