Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does no one care about the Red Sox??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Does no one care about the Red Sox???
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-21-2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on, you're almost all guys here! I know we're all geeks but doesn't anyone watch sports? Does one of the few women on this site have to be the one to bring this up??? [Razz]

In case you didn't know... The Red Sox won the pennant over the Yankees, also making history as the first team to EVER come back in the 7 game race after losing the first 3 games.

Finally breaking "the curse", this is the first time the Red Sox have won the pennant since 1918.

GO SOX!!!! [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Damon is the man.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're about the only thing I've eard about during the last few days; I still don't know who they are, beyond the fact that they're some sort of sports team.

What sport, and where are they from?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-21-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since you asked Madamn Moderator... NO!

>>> Phil

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do. It is un-be-freakin-levable that they pulled it off. Well maybe not as they are a really great team but to do it to the Yankees at Yankee Stadium after going down 3-0 is just awesome. Being from California I have been a Dodger fan all my life yet when the Dodgers lost the race I have been pulling for the Red Socks.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Yankees fan, thru and thru...

That said, I have to hand it to the Sox.. they kicked ass, plain and simple. To come back from and win the final four IN A ROW - AT YANKEE STADIUM (not all 4 were at Y/S)... impressive!

I have to admire their taste for victory and their tenacity to do so given the odds. If it had to have been anyone, I'm glad it was the Sox... Bittersweet, but it's good to see someone other than the Yankees in the Series... every once in a while.. [Smile]

Now I'm banking on the Astro's to come thru and wipe the Sox clean.. [Smile] *Played little league on the Astro's team*

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rachel Gilardi
Finally breaking "the curse", this is the first time the Red Sox have won the pennant since 1918.
Unfortunately for the Sox, "the curse" has still yet to be broken. They have won the American League Championship (AL Pennant) 11 times in total, including last night. They have now done it in: 1903, 1904, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1946, 1967, 1975, 1986, and 2004. However, they have not won a World Series since 1918 (They've won 5: 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, and 1918), which they have still yet to do.

They've got a bit of work still left to do before they can call the curse "officially" broken, though most think this series was a sign that it's gone.

For those who don't know, "The Curse of the Bambino" is the name given to the fact that the Boston Red Sox have been uanble to win a World Series Championship in nearly 90 years. The last they won (As noted above) was 1918, with Babe Ruth as an essential part to that victory (As well as the ones in 1915 and 1916) as a pitcher and a hitter. In 1920, he was sold to the New York Yankees. Before 1920, the Yankees had not won a single World Series championship, and since then they have won 26 for the Sox's 0. "The Curse" got to be well-known mainly in 1986, when the Red Sox were 1 strike away from winning the World Series, and then had a massive collapse, including a ball that went straight through the legs of the first baseman that let the New York Mets win the game (And then the World Series the next day).

One last note...they *were* the first team in Major League Baseball to come back from a 3-game deficit (3-0) to win a seven-game series, and it has also never happened in the NBA (Basketball), but it *has* happened twice in the NHL (Hockey). First in 1942 with the Toronto Maple Leafs coming back to beat the Detroit Red Wings, and most recently in 1975 with the New York Islanders overcoming the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, this is probably the most impressive of the 3 comebacks, if you consider that in Game 3, the Yankees won 19-8 and by all rights that should have destroyed whatever was left of the Boston morale, and the fact that Games 6 and 7 were played at Yankee Stadium...possibly the most incredible comeback in sports history.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-21-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rachel Gilardi
Finally breaking "the curse" , this is the first time the Red Sox have won the pennant since 1918.
Boston has lost four World Series to the Cardinals in 1946, 1967, the Cincinnati Reds in 1975 & the Mets in 1986. This makes the 11th pennant for the Red Sox, their first since 1986.

To break "the curse", first they need to win the World Series. [Eek!]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-21-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody cares about baseball. Nobody. Why not? Because baseball players are pussies. One drop of rain and they all come running off the field and cover it with a tarp. What a bunch of pansie-asses! Will they melt if the rain touches them or something? Football continues in any weather, because they are real athletes. Football players are also not addicted to tobacco. Anyone who uses any kind of tobacco has problems. Most of baseball is just guys hitting fouls again and again anyway. EXCITING! How people can watch this drivel is beyond me. People have no lives. I bet people sitting on the couch get more exercise than baseball players do just getting up to get more food for their fat asses. Watching baaseball is almost like watching a photograph.

That said, it is nice seeing the Yankees get their asses handed to them in HD Dolby Digital 5.1. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's the same god damned team winning or coming in second place year after year. Yankees deserved it, those assholes. Also, I could be wrong, but doesn't Boston use mostly American lazy asses, whereas NY imports most if their lazy asses from Cuba or someplace retarded like that?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-21-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Rachel's question, nope! Couldn't care about it any less than I currently do, which is zero.

Joe, are you sure the Red Socks are baseball? And why do you know this?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-21-2004 06:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pedro and Schilling chat before game 3 of the ALDS vs. the Angels (yes, I was there for the sweep):

-

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-21-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
KYle: And to think I thought of you as a friend... no longer! Cuz of these posts, Joe is once again my hero!

>>>Phil

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-21-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, I didn't care much for it. Rachel, when I read your post... all I got out of it was that some team won. The other large percentage I had no clue what you were talking about. The team names do sound familiar. I was at the music store yesterday, when they had the game on and one of the guys kept yelling and screaming about some team (assuming the Red Soxs) was leading by 6 to 1. The guy went postal all jumping up and down and running around.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-21-2004 07:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Sox win the World Series, someone needs to sit them down and say, "Okay, hope you guys have learned your lesson. Now, the next time you get another Babe Ruth..."

I drove by Yankee Stadium in my big truck last night, just as the first pitch went out. The sky was lit pretty good. I pulled into Worcester, MA shortly after the game ended. I tooted my big air horn at the revellers as they were pouring out of bars, hollering. They were lit pretty good, too.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-21-2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The sky was lit up pretty good.
Yeah so? What's your point Tim?

We had a thunderstorm last night and the sky was lit up pretty good too. [Razz]

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: