Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What 100 Years Can Do

Author Topic: What 100 Years Can Do
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-24-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The year was 1904 - one hundred years ago.

Maybe this will boggle your mind,I know it did mine! The year What a difference a century makes!

Here are some of the U.S. statistics for 1904:

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents an hour.

The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.

Ninety percent of all U.S. physicians had no college education. Instead,they attended medical schools,many of which were condemned in the press and the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month,and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

The five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was 30!!!

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

2 of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated high school.

I forwarded this from someone else without typing it myself, and sent it to you in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years ... it staggers the mind!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-24-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there were no broadcast sporting events so there was less wasted time on everyones part [thumbsup] .

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-24-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But there were movies (barely). So you'd still have a job. And horseless carriages to tinker with. [Big Grin] But even an electromechanical (Nipkow disk) TV was still twenty something years off. [Frown]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-24-2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bob Maar
2 of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.
Has that changed?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-24-2004 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, You're right on ..... today, 100 years later its 4 out of 10 and you have to include math, science, and biology in there too..... People are spending way too much time watching sports!!

Mark

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some observations I've made since 1904 . . .

The average life expectance by 1935 had risen to 65 years. Thats the reason why old folks can collect SSI at that age. The government was gambling on you dying before you were eligible.

In my working-class neighborhood, only 14 percent wash, let alone have a bathtub.

8 percent of homes still only have a telephone. Cell phones account for the other 92 trying to get out of paying for a land-line.

Three minutes from Denver to New York still costs eleven dollars...unless your on off-peak minutes. [Razz]

I wish there were only 8,000 cars in the Unted States. Then I could give a big [fu] to the oil companies and mean it.

The maximum speed limit is still 10 mph in Pittsburgh.

Since the Twin Towers fell, I must admitt I don't know what is the tallest structure in the world. I'm sure the rent is cheap, though.

22 cents an hour eh? Thats only $2.03 cents less than what I started 82 years later. [Mad]

Now the average worker makes $20,000 - $40,000. (just add two zeros for inflation).

A competant accountant, dentist, veterinarian, and mechanical engineer? So what you're saying is they're like the dinosaurs. Existed, but are now extinct...

95 percent of the birth took place at home. This trend is actually coming back. A kid who graduated from my high school and is now a biology professor at Princeton touted this years ago. I'm now reading that more yuppies are catching on.

90 percent of all U.S. physicians now pay mal-practice insurance which has been labeled as "substandard".

Sugar, eggs, and coffee are still that cheap . . . if you're on the surplus programs.

Most women I've met still only wash their hair once a month. [puke]

Where is cancer on the death list? Especially the way those good ole' boyz in the South sucked down them thar Duke cigarettes.

Population of Vegas was 30. Its still a shit hole!!

No Mother's Day or Father's day, but I'll bet one didn't find young assholes telling mom or dad to go to hell either...

2 out of 10 couldn't read, but I think Mark and Michael covered that.

6 percent graduated from high school. Too bad we didn't have the same curricullum and standards. That number would remain a constant. [Roll Eyes]

One hundred years from now . . . I'll let you know in 2204 when those were the days Mr. Bunker.

Sorry Bob, just couldn't resist. All jokes aside, thanks for the information, I'm sure I'll use this sometime down the road in the classroom.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-25-2004 03:51 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Population of Vegas was 30. Its still a shit hole!!

Touché! In 1904 we were just a water and coaling stop for the railroad between LA and SLC; we didn't incorporate as a city until the following year. Yeah, there's lots to not like about living or working here these days, but I can think of much worse places in which to be stuck.

Ah well, off to campus, perchance to find some aviation or Japanese language students in need of a good drubbing.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
The average life expectance by 1935 had risen to 65 years. Thats the reason why old folks can collect SSI at that age. The government was gambling on you dying before you were eligible.
The benefit collection age has been raised by acts of congress several times throughout the years. I highly doubt it was 65 when the program was first started in 1935. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2004 07:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who is wondering how someone could be killed by diarrhea? The only thing about diarrhea that I would think could be deadly would be the stench. But pissing liquified shit out of your ass is hardly cause for concern. Heck, it's fun!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-25-2004 07:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You usually die from the dehydration thats brought on by the diahrea. Today we have the miracle over the counter drugs like Immodium to allow the world to function normally day in, day out...... [Roll Eyes]

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2004 09:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could just, I dunno, drink some water. I have never felt dehydrated after a good diarrhea session. Instead I feel great! Ready to take on the world!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Joe, you could do ads for colonic irrigation.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diarrhea is still the leading cause of death in children under 5 in less developed countries, & a major cause of death in adults.

http://www.globalhealth.org/view_top.php3?id=228

"Developing" countries & their health situations are dynamic. I remember reading somewhere that the leading cause of death listed in England I think during the time of the Stuarts was "bad teeth"; i.e., opportunistic infection through decayed teeth. Stuart England was certainly one of the most developed countries of the time. Beats the pants off the plague though, I guess.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have to wait just two more days to ride on the New York Subway on its opening day.

edit.
Make that one more day, I'd lost track of the date.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 12:24 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Hooper
I remember reading somewhere that the leading cause of death listed in England I think during the time of the Stuarts was "bad teeth"; i.e., opportunistic infection through decayed teeth.
Our vet wants us to have our 10-year old daschund's teeth cleaned and scaled (tartar removed) annually, under anesthesia. Because we wanted to spare her anesthesia, we delayed a few months, and she started suffering "reverse sneezing", which looks like an asthma attack. Evidently, bacteria from the tartar buildup on the gums/teeth can get into the sinuses, causing an infection. Worst case, the bacteria can get into the bloodstream, causing a systemic infection.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: