Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » ActiveX in Opera

Author Topic: ActiveX in Opera
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-24-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been invited to open an email account in google's new web based email service which is in beta testing. It works fine in IE, but not in Opera which I prefer to use. It tells me to turn on ActiveX controls. But I understand ActiveX can be a security risk. And then I couldn't find the option to turn it on anywhere in Opera preferences.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is ActiveX? Sounds retarded. Google should be set on fire as a result.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-24-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera only supports InactiveX.

http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=415

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-24-2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no website that's important enough to use ActiveX. If the programmers for a site can't make it work on most ordinary browsers without needing Activex, VBS or even Java then FUCK 'EM!! They dont' need your business!

Too many people are willing to take it up the ass and let other people dictate to them how to use their computers. We need more people to stand up and say that they aren't going to put up with this shit anymore!

If a TV station in the USA tried to make all of its programming in Chinese and dictate to the American public that they all needed to learn Chinese to watch the shows on that channel they wouldn't get very far, would they?

Why should a web site be any different?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-25-2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'd agree that Javascript is inherently evil (due to the amount of know-nothing-idiots copying and pasting code), I wouldn't be so harsh as to bunch Java with the pieces of [bs] known as ActiveX and VBScript.

Java, unlike the former two, is a cross platform, relatively freely licensed technology that is extremely powerful. Java applets are actually executable too, so there's far less of an opportunity to crash your browser like the scripted languages are prone to do.

Sites that require a Java console are usually few and far between. There are some, though, that require a Java console, like some versions of Hewlett Packard's network printer graphical web interfaces, but that's really a special case.

Using Java for a standard website just doesn't make a lot of sense. It's a must for sites that require special functionality or processing power that just wouldn't be possible to do server side. Using Java to run your cellular telephone or engine control system is also a great application.

That said, the entirely separate issue of Javascript is quite valid. Any site that can't run without Javascipt support isn't too well thought out. The forum software actually uses more Javascript than I'd like, but that's the way it came. At least it still works without it, although without the time saving features. Although well written Javascipt that isn't annoying isn't too bad if doing the same server side would be impractical.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 12:56 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I swear, "Freakin' Java", under my breath every time I load a page that uses it I'll give on that one.

I still hold to the ActiveX and VBS, though. Every site that tries to force the user to adhere to them should die a horrible death. (Specifically, they make no money!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: