Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » If you like soft drinks, you might not like to see this...

Author Topic: If you like soft drinks, you might not like to see this...
Carl James Valentine
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Carl James Valentine   Email Carl James Valentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, my projectionist helped the concessionist with the soft drink drain because it was slow draining. After pulling out the pipe that the drain empties into, he pulled out this...
 -

No, its not fat of a piece of steak, or any other thing.
All I can figure is that it's Soft Drink residue...
pretty sick [puke]

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-24-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was the last time your soda machines were serviced?

The heavy content of sugar in soda as well as the carbonation is known to corrode items, I've seen similar. I still drink my coke.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-24-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's carbonated sugar and mineral snot. A small one at that!

It doesn't take long to build one up, depending on your water. Most people don't notice they're even there unless they've got drain problems.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-24-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly. It's a slimy coating of bacteria and mold that grows on the inside of the drain pipe.

It ain't nothin', though!

When I was a kid, my parents used to own a bar. The "slop tray" under the beer taps had a similar kind of drain but it didn't go down the normal drain. (You'll understand why in a minute.) The drain went to a sump in the basement. The sump pump had a heavy metal screen around the intake. All the beer and slop water drained into the sump before it was pumped out to the sewer.

The yeast and sugar from the beer would start to grow into a slimy film inside the pipes. It would form a layer about 1/16 inch thick on the inside of the 1-1/2 inch dia. PVC pipe.

When the layer got any thicker than 1/16 inch it would start to get too heavy to cling to the walls of the plastic pipes. Gravity would start to pull it down. New slime would grow in its place. The process would repeat until a 20 - 30 foot long "slime snake" would creep its way down the pipe and end up coiled in the bottom of the sump. It was a whitish yellow color and smelled like stale beer!

If the drains went directly to the sewer they would quickly clog up the main drain line with this slimy, yeasty mess. The screen on the intake kept the slime snake from getting into the pump and gumming up the works.

After 2 - 3 months of building up, the slime snake would fill the bottom of the sump and clog the intake screen. Somebody would have to go down to the basement and clean out the sump with a shovel. Guess who got that job!? [puke]

We finally got sick of the clogged sump and plumbing so we decided to try to nip the problem in the bud. Every night, at closing, we would pour hot water and clorine bleach down the drains to kill whatever was growing down there. It didn't stop the problem all together but it certainly slowed it down enough to where the slime growth wasn't such a problem.

I suggest you do a similar thing every night at closing. Even if you don't stop the problem completely you should at least keep it down to a manageable level.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-24-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most Pepsi reps will recommend warm water and bleach to manage it, too.

I've yet to find a Coke rep that will recommend it, except for one who said they heard about it from a Pepsi rep.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've pulled similar residue out of the drain hoses coming out of my ice bins. One of the drains will back up and all the melted ice will stand in the ice bin. It happens maybe once a month. I pull the hoses out and clean them as much as possible. I recommend creating some type of tool for cleaning out the hoses. I created one out of an unfolded coathanger.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blasting the stuff out by jaming the end of a hose in the tube is more fun (and faster), if you can remove the tube, and a hose will fit in it.

A hose fitting will fit into a tube used on a standard sized drain of an ice box.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 04:10 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest slime snake I have ever seen was pulled out a drain for an ice bin. I was trying to unclog the drain so the water would drain from the bin and noticed a slimy gel coming out of the end of the pipe. I put it in a cup but couldn't get anyone to eat it. An air compressor works well for getting all sorts of drain clogs out.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agggh, a slime snake..

I'd recommend warm water nightly to help keep down this occurence. I dont' know that you'll ever eliminate it completely.

If you have black felx hose under your ice bin (past the elbow at the bottom of the bin) you can always bend down on your knees, reach up under and 'massage' the hose from the elbow to the drain to help 'coax' out any of the nasty buildup. At the same time, I'd pull the drain tube off the elbow and take it to the mop sink and flush well with hot water.

I periodically use an enzyme based digester to combat this problem. This works well and it also smells decent.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-25-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a Canadian Condom.

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
I've yet to find a Coke rep that will recommend it, except for one who said they heard about it from a Pepsi rep.
Our Coke rep told us to do this about a year and a half ago. I think I'm the only one that still does it at our theater.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a plugged drain a couple times and I called Pepsi asking if they had ever seen this before or could recommend a chemical/process to keep it from happening. Having an agreement not to "mess" with the machinery and always call a tech I didn't want to go pouring something into the tray of the machine that might harm it and have them bill us. They had no idea what it was or why it was happening. Having never seen this happen at the 20 plex I worked at with 6 soda stations, I thought it might be something from our water supply, and just started pouring really hot water down the drain every night and haven't had a problem since. If it happens again, will see about the bleach too.

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 07:01 PM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! Cokejerky! Will you sell it to me? It preserves well in long hiking trips.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 07:12 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's sugar/mineral sludge pulled out of some thin plastic line is tomorrow's hot fashion item.

It's science...

/feeling like Ron Burgundy today

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: