Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » does anyone have a Win95 system disk? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: does anyone have a Win95 system disk?
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-26-2004 07:27 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here goes... I chucked my win95 disk years ago...

however now my aged mother who refuses to upgrade her 486 computer, nor allow anything else in her house, needs it reinstalled.

Her disk was lost years ago, but she still has the manual with the serial number.

Here is the fun part... Anyone have a disk around that I can borrow for half a minute, or know where I can borrow one?

CIao

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 07:45 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you just mean the boot floppy, you can download one here. I'm sure there must be secondhand computer stores that would sell surplus copies of Windows 95 for practically nothing if you need the full CD (or the full floppy version, which came on about 20 discs if I remember correctly).

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-26-2004 01:37 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its the full system load, yep the floppy version. I can actually load the setup files on the hard drive via another computer, but still need that damned cd.

i even called my older brother who NEVER throws anything away. He used to keep candy bar wrappers from movies he liked a lot as a memento. However, he didnt have it anymore.

AUGH!

I am trying the second hand route...

ciao

dave

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 11:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would she notice the difference if it was 98? I dont know if that is more resource intensive. Would crash less I think.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just install 98 and replace the logo screen file with the one from win95, she'll never know. Unless of course the computer cannot handle it.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend has a Windows 9X installation CD that has all of the versions of Windows 95, 98 and ME. If you have the Licence then there shouldn't be a problem using it.

Windows 98 probably isn't a good idea on a 486.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-27-2004 03:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do NOT have a Win95 system disk.

Just thought I'd add that.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 09:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In what other ways do you come up short, Joe? [evil]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-27-2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short? Not having 95 means I come out ahead. I hve 98SE lying around somewhere though.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 08:59 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one somewhere, if I find it I'll let you know

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of Windows 1.01.
I can supply you that if you'd like.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-28-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There you go, Windows 1.01 even comes with the Microsoft logo with the hairy looking 'O', on the splash screen.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-28-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, I don't think Windows95 is even a good idea at all for a 486-based system -unless you have the thing outfitted with a good amount of memory. Years ago, my father loaded Win98 on an IBM PS/ValuePoint PC with a 486 DX2 CPU and 32MB of RAM. It ran slow as hell. He had to reformat and reinstall Win95. And even that was slow. My recommendation for such ancient gear is Windows for Workgroups 3.11, so long as you're not using any hardware or software that demands a minimum of Win95.

Dave, how much RAM is in this computer? Does it use 30-pin memory modules? If so, you probably can't get anymore than 32MB of memory installed. If you're lucky it may be one of those rare machines with 72-pin SIMM memory slots (such machines were sold just before the debut of the first Pentium CPUs). SIMM slots might give you up to 128MB of memory capacity. That would be good enough for Windows95 and WinNT 3.1. But that's only IF you can find anyplace selling those kind of modules. Your best bet would be rummaging through some used computers. Oh, and it has to be regular DRAM memory. I don't think any EDO or SDRAM memory will work at all in a 486 PC.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-28-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had much time to check, but I am working on it this weekend. The reason that this machine is SOOOO IMPORTANT to my mother is that her parents gave it to her, so she thinks they will get mad if she doesn't have it working by the time they come back in april.

I love my mother, but she is not all there. She had a mental breakdown about 10 years ago, got involved with drugs and alcohol (head registered nurse in her wing at the hospital has lots of advantages you know), lost her medical license, lost her marraige, lost the rest of the kids, and so on. She cleaned up about four years ago and is trying to put things well with the family, but just doesn't have the reality capacity anymore.

So for me, I am doing this because I know it will give her some semblance of peace. We put things right between us and so have the rest of the family (well except for dad). So while on one end I KNOW I am wasting my time, but on the other I know I am putting my mother to ease and making her feel good about the whole thing.

Actually too for me, its all kind of retro. In a way it brings me back in a nearly fun kind of way. I remember building these things for a living and now I can't believe the hell we techs had to go through to make these things work. I can even remember how much I hated windows 3.1 when It came out, still stuck in the DOS days. Of course it was all so much better than the good ol days of 8 inch floppy media and gigantic main units that had the equivalancy proccessing power of a screwdriver.

I will come back to all this after the weekend, I have so much work to do with the election coming up, halloween, kids, ex wifes and future wife wannabees, etc.

So thanks for all the help, and I will get back to you on my progress and all on this after the weekend.

Warmest always..

Ciao

Dave

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-28-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had W95 going on an old 486 for a long time as a secondary machine. I believe it was 33MHz with 16M RAM. As you can imagine it was incredibly slow but good enough to use for email (real email, not that HTML crap that passes for email sometimes nowadays), and if you absolutely had to look something up on WWW you could but not a pleasant experience.

Before that it was W3.11 (actually WFWG) and that best that can be said about that was that in those days it wasn't necessary to use it all the time. I could go online into a Unix shell account from DOS with nothing but a basic comm program. That was the fastest way to fly back then for email, newsgroups, and a few other things. I remember I had some technique for switching from that into a SLIP winsock connection for WWW etc. without dropping carrier by using the appropriate script with Trumpet Winsock.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: