Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » John Peel RIP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: John Peel RIP
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 10:34 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the radio today that DJ and broadcaster John Peel passed away suddenly at the age of 65, he was on a working holiday in Peru with his wife when he suffered a heart attack.

I grew up with radio, as my family did not have a television when I was a young child, John Peel is one of my earliest memories, and one of the few radio shows that me and my parents agreed was worth listening to.

Today broadcasting and popular music lost one of their true bastions.

You will be missed by many John.

Edited to add more info and link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3955289.stm

Legendary radio DJ John Peel dies

Veteran BBC broadcaster John Peel has died at the age of 65, while on holiday in Peru.

Peel, whose radio career spanned 40 years, was on a working holiday in the resort of Cuzco with his wife Sheila when he suffered a heart attack.

He was BBC Radio 1's longest-serving DJ and in recent years had also presented Home Truths on Radio 4.

Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt said Peel's contribution to modern music and culture was "immeasurable".

He added: "John Peel was a broadcasting legend. I am deeply saddened by his death as are all who work at Radio 1.

"John's influence has towered over the development of popular music for nearly four decades.

"He will be hugely missed."

Mr Parfitt told Radio 1 Newsbeat Peel had been on a holiday of a lifetime when he died.

He added: "He had gone on holiday with Sheila to a place where he had always wanted to go."

Peel was born in Heswall, near Chester, and after completing his military service in Britain in 1962, went to the US where he began working for a radio station in Dallas.

He joined Radio 1 at the beginning in 1967, and established himself with the late night programme Top Gear.

He became one of the first DJs to give exposure to punk, reggae, hip-hop, before they crossed over into the mainstream.

[ 10-26-2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Pete Naples ]

|  IP: Logged

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 02:04 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is truly a sad day.

John Peel was such an important influence in enabling people who wanted to be able to make music to be heard, particularly when their style was not mainstream that his loss leaves a gap that will never be bridged.

Just about everyone who lived in the UK for most of my lifetime who was interested in music at some point was touched by JP, whether they knew it or not.

I'm reminded of the quote from the (also sad and untimely) death of Jon Postel, something like "we have lost our compass", an accolade paid to the very few. John Peel was one of the select few.

RIP John, we'll miss you.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really sad day.

For those of you in the States John stared his radio career in Dallas in the early sixties. The fact he was from near Liverpool being an advantage in the days of Beatlemania

I remember in my teens listening to JP late at night on Radio 1. He was the only person to play real music back in the early seventies.

Being invoved in the business back in the early eighties I was lucky enoughto meet him on a couple of occasions. What a great guy.

His wife Sheila , lovingly referred to as "Pig" , lived three miles from my home.

There will never be another like him
There's a good biog here John Peel bio

Here's to you John [thumbsup] [beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was he any relation to Emma?

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 03:10 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me Emma?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-27-2004 03:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emma Peel of the X-Men. She was played by Uma Thurman in some movie that also had the Hulk in it I think. All I know is that it sucked copious amounts of unshaven and unwiped ass.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 05:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you mean Emma Peel in The Avengers?

quote: Dick Vaughan
His wife Sheila , lovingly referred to as "Pig"...
That's certainly an unusual expression of affection, to put it mildly!

To be honest I was put off John Peel somewhat after turning on Home Truths one Saturday morning and being treated to a very detailed description of what a sex change operation involves. This was while I was trying to eat breakfast. [puke]

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 05:16 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emma Peel of The Avengers, shirley.

There was a movie entitled The Avengers, which starred the Thurman, but although I've not seen it, my memory of the reviews of the day used the words "blow" and "goats" in the same sentence.

On the other hand, in the sixties or there abouts, Dame Dianna Rigg played the definitive Emma Peel opposite one Patrick McNee as John Steel. Mrs Peel in leather catsuit kicking the sh*t out of the bad guys was indeed a thrill to behold.

In later series Mrs Peel was played by Joanna Lumley, but I cant recall her wearing the catsuit.

None of which exciting fiction which has anything to do with the late Jon Peel.

Heres a couple of links with piccies, the second one appearing to be the CIA?????

http://www.jamesbondposterpage.com/riggavengers.htm
http://www.cia.gov/spy_fi/item12.html

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Buckley
In later series Mrs Peel was played by Joanna Lumley, but I cant recall her wearing the catsuit
David ,Joanna Lumley played Purdy in the series "The New Avengers"

Between Diana Rigg and Joanna (probably better known to some US members as Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous) was Linda Thorson playing Tara King

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-28-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one Emma Peel in my book......

-
 -

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-28-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez Mark, that looks like 30 lb (per yard) rail. That wouldn't even support Thomas!

Tying her near a turnout (or is that 1 ft gauge track?) eliminates the kinky spread-eagle effect you'd get across two standard gauged rails. TV in the 60's morals I guess.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-28-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
 -
That looks like cap'n Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager. Is she old and have a seriously nasty sounding voice like Janeway?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-28-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
To be honest I was put off John Peel somewhat after turning on Home Truths one Saturday morning and being treated to a very detailed description of what a sex change operation involves. This was while I was trying to eat breakfast.
Somewhere I actually have a videotape of a sex change operation. It's not a pretty sight. Be happy it was just described rather than shown. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-28-2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
You had to be there... I mean the mid 60's when this show started airing. It was the Brits answer to "The Man From Uncle" and it was a whole lot better... for obvious reasons!!!! No she wasn't like Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager at all. She has a neato sexy english voice like you wish your answering machine would have. Even in her later years she is still a classy lady [thumbsup] .

-

And for Steve... Another hint as to the delema she is in.. or on, or about to be under....
 -

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And in the original B&W Avengers it was Honor Blackman as Steeds sidekick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: